Sage TCR - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 09:52 AM

Sage TCR

I'm thinking about the 590 or 690 sage TCR but was wondering what others thought about it as a fishing rod, i know it casts well but i've never fished one, i'm kind of worried about all its power and breaking tippets.

CDG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2004, 10:22 AM

CDG, I don't have an answer but am going to move this topic to the gear forum where there is a higher chance of getting an answer.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:45 AM

I have cast the five and I have fished the eight. Wow, they are both terrific rods. For such a powerful rod, they can fish in close as well. Having said that, I'm not sure that the TCR in a five makes much sense to me. If I needed a more powerful rod than my XP (or SLT for that matter), I would probably want to line up any way. Having said that, I have a buddy fishing in NewZealand, and he loves it for trout. As for power, you can't have too much. No one says you have to pile the cast into the water. As for breaking tippets? Maybe it would require more skill when fighting a fish, but I don't think that should be an issue. I have not fished this rod , but my buddy swears by it (and his opinion on rods is one of the few I trust).
Maybe the six would be good for some ultra sporty/stealthy bone fishing. That would be fun.
The eight weight kicks ass. I fished one for a few days in Belize, permit fishing, and liked it alot. I can't wait to fish the nine. When they start landing on the moon again, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't find a bunch of flys hung up on a crater.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:41 AM

Depends what you want it for. If it "casts well" for your casting stroke, that's all that matters.

I like trout rods that flex into the bottom third of the rod. I also fish a lot of 7x tippets and midges. The last sage trout rod that I liked was the SP. Anything faster than that is too much for my style.

The TCR would be a superior big river rod for big dries or high-sticking a sink-tip however...it's all a matter of what you want to use it for.

Can't really go wrong wth a sage....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I never really cared for the #5 or #8 TCR is that they are just quick, too stiff for my tastes.

I have yet to encounter a situation where I need a such a quick powerful rod when I am trout fishing...and around here, a 9' #8 is useless IMHO....now if they made a 9'6" #8 TCR I might have a total differant opinion of the rod.

However!, I fished the #6 TCR at Chrismas Is. in January and absolutely loved it when it was loaded with a #7 Rio Mainstream Bonefish. It could chuck the biggest bugs I fished, handle the wind and land the fish in no time at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.