Buyout a success?? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

Buyout a success??

Hello everyone.
Just wondering your thoughts as you saw things on Atlantic Salmon rivers in 2003? For the most part, Prince Edward Island salmon runs were up over years past with a few experiencing excellent runs. The Morell, for instance, was estimated at 1500 to 2000 fish. I lean toward 2000 as it just never seemed to end. Four fish over 20lbs were recorded in the trap and 3 were landed at 15lbs each. Alot of 12lb- 16lb fish were observed in the pools.
The margaree, from all accounts had good numbers of fish from early summer through Halloween. Lots of water slowed things down by times last fall, but i had at least one fish on everyday of my trip. (Oct13-19)
Reports from Gaspe rivers were of terrific runs as well. Labrador reports were of more big fish than usual(no nets at sea???) as grilse rivers had an unusual amount of MSW fish arriving.
Was '03 just a peak in the cycle? Banner years like last have appeared before. Was it just a coincidence? I hope not. I hope that Salar may have turned a corner and perhaps this is the "toe-hold" (Greenland closure) this species needs.
Without naming names and giving away secret pools, I would be interested to get a feel for what each of you found in your geographical area. Were runs up? Down? Same?
Looking forward to some responses.
Lets hope 04 puts 03 to shame!!!
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne Miller
><)))*>
Topher, I am friends with Corey Mosher and i took a picture of you last october at "Swimming Hole". You had released a nice 10lb-12lb fish. No proper introductions at that time, perhaps this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	very fresh summer fish.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2915  
Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2004, 12:17 PM

Hi Salmon Chaser,

I'll second everything you say: the runs were up everywhere I fished (Gaspesie, Nova Scotia); let's hope, as you say, it's not a temporary bump but rather a turning of the corner.

The only bummer for me was the number of big, MSW fish that I observed getting whacked on certain rivers en Gaspesie. Although the biologists claim they have it under control, I question the wisdom of wiping out approximately a third of the run each year on some rivers.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:23 PM

Hi again, Salmon Chaser!

Missed your p.m. the first time around! Corey M. is not a guy you want to follow through the pool! We're headed to Labrador together for two weeks in July.

See you on the river...Tight Lines...

TB
Old 02-22-2004, 07:11 AM
Salmo Scout

Labrador

Salmon Chaser,

I was up on the Eagle River in late August last year. Based on the records that I saw for the camp, which is only a small part of the overall activity, the run for the year was not higher than the previous year. Fish size was consistent with 2002 and grilse numbers only increased slightly. Larger fish numbers were not up. Do you have other information for Labrador that counters the information that I saw perhaps?
Old 02-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

RE: Labrador

morning jcc_00
I guess my post did "generalize" Labrador as being up everywhere,huh? What I was referring to were various posts made throughout last season(SAO) as well as friends who made the trip(Pinware, Eagle, Forteau) and opinion's of those i met on various rivers. Following the York River (Gaspe) thread this summer on SAO made me want to break out the credit card and just GO!!!
Sue Scotts river reports in the Winter 2003 ASJ. Also included in this were emails from other anglers whose opinions were the same as mine, that there was definately an increase in fish in 2003.
One labrador lodge owner posted this summer that there were salmon in his river of close to 15lbs. He has owned the camp for years and never saw that before. Almost a 100%grilse and small salmon river. He was thrilled. I'll dig up the thread.
My original post was meant to convey what i know and have heard, been told, or have read. Mostly it was an effort to find out if my area(PEI) lucked out,as we had a terrific season here.
Still waiting to hear if other "local rivers" had similar surges in salmon numbers.
Also, all the talk of labrador that i recieved was for June and July, nobody I talked to was fishing there in late August.
Hope this clarifies a few things
regards
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne
><)))*>
Hey Topher, the grilse pictured above was one I landed on the morell last summer, not the fish i mentioned at the "Swimming Hole" Here is your fish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	topher brown at swimming hole.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	3014  
Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons
Old 02-22-2004, 04:06 PM
just one more cast...

Hi Salmon Chaser,

Although the Greenland buyout should certainly be considered a 'success', in that a significant harvest of wild fish no longer exists, I think the concensus among the scientific community is that the expected improvement in North American river stocks has been disappointing. I think the buyout was definitely a success, in the sense that a great model has been established for future international cooperation in Salmon conservation.

In trying to evaluate the 'big picture', I tend to be skeptical of anecdotal reports from other anglers, and resident 'locals', although I love Fish Stories as much as the next guy . The anglers (I are one!) are always enthusiastic after a good trip and catching a bunch of fish, and it's too easy to infer that a river is healthy after hearing/reading a few such reports.(And fishermen who have a Skunk trip tend to be a lot less talkative, I think). Resident 'locals', particularly those with an economic interest in the reputation of the fishery, will very seldom admit to a 'bad year', in my experience.

Here's the NF/Labrador 2003 Stock Status Update- there are some bright spots, but overall, not all that promising, IMHO.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas/Csas/s...2003_048_E.pdf

I fished in NF/ Labrador five weeks last year (the last trip ended Aug.29), and I'd say the fishing was about the same as 2002 overall, not as good as '98-01. But, I'm just one angler, only in one river at a time (and maybe the wrong/right time), if you know what I mean.

I sure hope the trends will improve, but I guess I'm not quite ready to rent the 'party-tent' (YET!)
Cheers,

macspey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.