New Angling update from Ireland (30th may) and FMD update - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2001, 04:32 AM
Irish flies are smiling

Location: The Irish Coast, the Western Lakes, small rivers near Dublin, secret spots in Donegal...
New Angling update from Ireland (30th may) and FMD update

Greetings everyone,

(most of this will not apply to US anglers.... but may be of interest)

I just want to make clear the latest situation about Angling in Ireland and particularly those who intend to travel to Ireland in the near future. I contacted the Dept. of Agriculture and Food here on Friday evening and they gave me answers on several questions which I was been asked about regularly.

Firstly, Anglers can bring in maggots, groundbaits, crab and all seabaits. It is forbidden to bring in meat and any daily products and this regulation is ongoing even without foot and mouth.

Anglers coming from the UK can safely fish here taking the advise below particularly for people in contact with animals and livestock especially in infected areas in the UK where foot and mouth outbreak still exists.

In such a case the following procedures must take place: ================================================== ====================

Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development An Roinn Talmhaíochta, Bia agus Forbartha Tuaithe Government of Ireland

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

ADVICE TO TRAVELLERS FROM NORTHERN IRELAND, BRITAIN OR OTHER FMD INFECTED AREA

Intending visitors who have had contact with susceptible animals or agricultural land or who have been in a control area should not travel to Ireland unless there are exceptional circumstances, such as a family bereavement.

Persons travelling from Northern Ireland, Britain or other FMD infected area must adhere to the following code of practice.

Before travelling the visitor must:-

disinfect* all footwear to be used during the visit.
assemble clothes for the visit which have had no possible contact with farm stock.
shower with plenty of hot water and soap not forgetting to wash the hair and nails.
ensure that luggage to be used is wiped down with an appropriate approved disinfectant.
not bring any foodstuff of animal origin.
When entering the country visitors must observe the disinfection procedures at ports and border crossings.

While in Ireland, all visitors must avoid any contact with susceptible animals or agricultural land.

Visitors from the UK (including Northern Ireland) and the Netherlands who, in the 21 days prior to arrival in the State, have been on agriculture-related places or premises are legally prohibited from entering onto any land or premises within the State where animals are kept for farming purposes, for a period of 21 days after arrival (S.I. No. 160 of 2001)

** A list of approved disinfectants is available from local District Veterinary Offices, Teagasc Offices, the DAFRD website (www.irlgov.ie/daff) and MAFF.

*** Susceptible species are cattle, sheep, pigs, goats and deer.

Code of Practice in relation to Rural Tourist Accommodation

Document last modified on: 29/5/2001 ================================================== ===================

Finally nearly 98% of our inland fishing is now open. There are only a small nember fisheries still closed by clubs on mainly rivers. Please contact CFB or appropriate Regional Fisheries Board about availability.

If anyone has any queries please contact myself or the Dept. of the Marine and Natural Resources, - I enclose a link - http://www.cfb.ie to the latest angling update as I never notified you all last Friday,

Tight Lines ,

Mylo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.