Choosing fly rod for steelhead - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2001, 01:16 PM

Choosing fly rod for steelhead

Pls give recommendations about weight/lenght, preferred brands
Planning to fish medium to small streams, no boat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2001, 01:33 PM

Good morning Vic. For fly fishing I'd recommend two rod weights to consider. I'f you're summer run fishing a 6 or perhaps a 7wt. For winter fish an 8 wt rod will usually cover your ground. I'd recommend you go for the longest rod you can get if you're a 'single hander' and not up to Spey Rods yet.

In the 6/7 catagory just purchased the Redington 11' 3" 6 wt for NORMAL RETAIL of $159 .... delivered. Great rod, can cast a mile with a 7wt forward or 7wt DT. Great rod for trout fishing and for summer run work. I know I said it was a 6wt but I usually 'over-line' my rods by one due to lenght of required casts.

If you're doing Spey Rods, again I'd recommend two in particular. The Sage 7/8 13-6 TRADITIONAL (not the Euro) and something like the Loomis 8wt EURO (not the traditional) for use with sinking tips. These two rods will cover very large streams/small rivers very well. Sounds like same line weight, but very very different rod actions.

The sage is a dry line rod, the Loomis is your sinking head, very heavy fly, etc., rod. With the loomis I use a 10wt DT with the head cut off, looped and either a sink-tip or a airflow extra fast sinking leader. Both will get you down and dirty.
Fred
Old 05-31-2001, 09:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

In addition to the great advice from Fred, I would add my .02...

For a single hander I like the old RPL 8wt 9' 6", which is now the VPS series. Sweet rod, great line handling and throws the long bellies well.

I rarely use the single handers anymore. I love my Sage 7136-4, it's a great summer run rod... but don't try to use it for big spring natives! I learned the lesson over and over.

I have an old Loomis IMX 15' 4pc 8/9 that kicks butt throwing winter tips.

Looking forward to trying the Dec Hogan series of Flylogic rods soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.