Herring hope with the two-hander - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Herring hope with the two-hander

Like I've said I got the Atlantis prototypes too late for the herring runs last year, but here's the annual situation I face. I've brought some of you to these locales so you know it's true.

There are places in spring where the herring are at a disadvantage at certain tides and the biggest baddest bass in the vicinity set their watches by it. The live-liners throw out live herring and I have never seen one come back without a cow attached to it in years of fishing this situation provided it's within the time frame when it peaks each year. They are playing catch and release with 25-35 pound stripers while the fly guys are trying to buy a schoolie.

The humble fly rodders, often referred to playfully by surf rodders as "sissy sticks" are barely able to participate in this as the flies are too small, the casting distance too short, the current too fast, everything is pointing away from success for the single-handed short rodder.

My mission in this time frame this year is to be at the side of these live-lining cow bangers throwing foot long herring imitations as far as possible to maximize the swim time in these currents, 120 or more feet. I want the flies to look good enough to eat and have a lot of action just being held under tension like a live herring. I might not have a cow on every cast like these guys but damn it I am going to get the herring eating cows on the fly this spring and I am going to be able to because I am throwing 600 grains and foot long herring flies ridiculous distances and maximizing the time the fly undulates in the current above the shallow water where these huge bass come each year to attack the herring.

Once satisfied, I will proceed to the migration stake-outs on the outer beaches that are like the ones I've already found but in places people don't go. Of course there are always locals who know about everything, I fully expect to run into Tony Stetzko fishing in even the most remote places for instance, but all in all the spring migration is not well understood by fly anglers and it's among the most amazing fisheries going.

The game here is dealing with surf and throwing consistently over 100 ft. Rarely do the migrant pods wander inside the turbulence zones causes by wave action. This is a challenging cast but well within the capabilities of the Atlantis.

I did have the prototypes in time to catch a lot of migratory activity last year, and it made a big difference. The hardest part is to stay relaxed enough to reach the fish once you realize they are there. I still get the jitters and buck fever, but that's half the fun.

Anyway, April is near. I can just smell the pungent tide now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 10:30 AM

there are a few spots bayside that would be good too. I'll be ouit ther early may.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:33 AM
President of CAC

Juro...do you think I can tie up a big Feather brain fly with THREE spreaders.... to minimic the size and proportions your long rod might accomodate????????
Old 02-08-2004, 11:11 AM

I'd love to try it!

Bob Popovic gave me some great advice at the Danbury show per that technique. I thing combining with the feather back is a great approach.

In addition to the mono extension technique Bob Popovic uses, I also want to try a 'jointed' tube extension to extend the herring to full length while retaining action just for giggles.

The spot I am talking about is a 'swing' fishery even for the live bait guys. The fish come into this hole as the tide puts them there and the herring are at a disadvantage and the meelee beings. It only lasts about 3 weeks and those weeks vary each year by as many as 10-15 days.

Eddie -

I know some spring ambush spots for the Brewster runs as well which light up once the fish are coming through the canal and showing at that herring run, it;s time for me to hit these bayside holes near the Stony Brk runs with big flies. From a boat the two-hander wouldn't be necessary if you have a 10wt line or better, but from the shore it would be a big plus from the vantage points I know because of current and coverage advantages with FSF (full size forage) flies.

Will you have your boat?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:18 AM
President of CAC

Juro...I will tye a FB with a 50 pound mono extention and make it about 10 inches long... I will build up the inside to make a well proportioned bait fish or herring for that size...stay tuned... If you think it's right I will then tye up several.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:44 AM

Juro -- A long, herring colored flatwing is tailor made for the kind of fishing you're describing, I'd think. 12 inches is nothing, they're easy to cast, you can layer in all those funky iridescent colors, and -- contrary to some concerns-- they don't foul if tied properly. Plus, they work best when you just keep tension on the line and let the currents do their thing. Also, if you hollow-tie up a longer shank hook, you can get a very full translucent profile. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you a couple to test out. Of course, there will be a quid pro quo, like maybe FULL DISCLOSURE of where the cows are grazing ....

Jonny
Old 02-08-2004, 12:17 PM

I like flatwings for sand eel imitations when they are shoaling off the bottom, but for herring with all due respect I don't think they will fool these fish into thinking they see a herring. What I mean is they are 12-15 year old brood fish who come to these spots each year and they know a live herring when they see one, believe me. It boggles my mind that so many big fish are sitting right there within 200 feet of shore and only the live herring guys are getting them with any consistency. I've caught 38" bass from the spot but most are 24-28" as opposed to the occasional 45" that the herring guys are getting standing right next to me. The plug guys are only getting the smaller fish with consistency as well, but they do get more cows because of casting distance and % time of the lure in the water.

I appreciate the suggestion but I think it's going to take a fly that is so close to a real herring in shape, color, size of eyes, action, etc - that the only thing missing is the smell.

Flatwings are gorgeous flies and deadly but I can't see one being mistaken by these fish for a herring, IMHO.

Then again if you are convinced then I WILL take you out there to test this theory out... I'll fish the herring fly, you fish the flatwing and we'll see what happens. I've been wrong before and am open to learning new tricks!
Old 02-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Juro,
I agree

Quote:
What I mean is they are 12-15 year old brood fish who come to these spots each year and they know a live herring when they see one, believe me.
I had the same experience this past season while catching the monsters in CT. on live lined shad. I spent countless hours throwing HUGE flies tied by a friend that looked very much the same as a shad, in both profile and size, but I could not fool these behemoths at all. They are smart and did not get as big as they are by being foolish. I think you are on the right track and if you hit it right I know these fish are catchable on the fly. I am going to be back at it again this season at the same spot I was at last season and will have a variety of large fly imitations to try again. I was using a 650 gr. and the flies I was using were every bit 14-16" in length. On the 12 wt. I was using casting them was not an issue and being in the boat was an advantage. The biggest problem I ran into was getting the fly down to where these fish were holding, the water depth was 20-40 ft. and there is significant current so getting the fly down was an big issue. By the time I could get it down to the depth these fish were at it was usually too late and I had already drifted past them. My experience with these fish was that they were holding tight ot structure deep on the reefs and would not chase and follow very often unless there were other fish competing for the same food. I found that when successful at getting the fly down to them a very fast strip accompanied by a sudden stop usually elicited the best response. I am excited to get back out there again this year and give it another try it will be fun to try and figure out the most productive way to fool these sly and wary fish.

Mike M.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Middle Aged Member

As of this morning it looks a little chilly to be thinking about herring in creeks feeding Stony Brook. Sure hope the ice is gone by mid May.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	104_0430 (custom).jpg
Views:	411
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	2896  
Old 02-08-2004, 04:24 PM

FRED! Is that a ribbon of liquid water I see? drooooooool!

Looks like we could walk to Billingsgate!
Old 02-09-2004, 07:01 AM

Funny you should mention Herring Flies. Sat. while in Natick Outdoors store I saw a large fly tied by Dave Skok which would be just the ticket. It's a large Yak Hair Herring pattern which is just awesome. Must have been at leat 10" or longer. Very light weight and tied on a circle hook. Capt. Gill Burke works at the store so he could help you out on this one.
Fishhawk
Old 02-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Flats Rat

Lightbulb

Juro

I am up for the flatwing test - and any other BIG patterns ...

I would love to get someone with scuba and an underwater cam to catch some film of big bait immitations swimming alongside the real thing. I think the results would send a lot of flytyers back to the drawing board.

That said, results are what counts in the final analysis. With the right gear, we are at least in with a chance of making a good presentation.

Bring it on!
Old 02-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Jonesin...

Selectivity...

I ran into Slinger yesterday at a local shop and we had a discussion regarding this type of fishery and bass behavior. He mentioned a few things he gleaned from his experience livelining that makes it very tough to fool these fish with a fly. The one that struck me the most was that the bass often rub up against the herring. This allowed them to pick out the weaker fish by smell and feel. In this regard I don't see how a flat wing could ever reproduce the natural in those circumstances. Not sure if a thinly tied bucktail will do the trick either. Seems to me that when the bass are that selective your best bet may be a silicone or some type of fly with body to at least get the feel down. Then I would run the fly through as many schools of herring as possible to get the scent down!!! Any thoughts?

Sean
Old 02-09-2004, 01:01 PM

I was thinking of wading but I could bring the boat down if I had a place to park the trailer/boat over night. My inlaws place in tight to pull into.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:52 PM

I've watched stripers rub up against livelined herring and bunker but got the impression it was because the fish was not big enough to eat the bait.

In fact on a recent trip to Billingsgate on a friend's boat a guy was livelining right next to us as we set up for another drift with our fast sinking lines in 14ft of water, sand eels everywhere in the water glistening and plenty of striper action. Lots of good fish that day but nothing huge. I looked over to see a bass appearing to be mating with the herring, not big enough to eat it. The bass stayed with it for several minutes, I was tempted to cast to it.

Instead I yelled over to tell the guy what was happening. I don't think he believed me, judging by the look on his face.

FWIW my opinion is that fishing does not occur in a vaccum, a bass's view of a fly depends on the situation at hand. For instance, when the pod goes on the blitz they are revv'ed up to a frenzied pace and their perspective can be blurred. I've purchased a variety of little figurines at the craft store to tie onto a hook and catch a striper on them during blitzes to prove to myself how insignificant the fly can be during such times. Still searching for a small Tickle me Elmo.

When they are stalking tidbits on a flat, they have a different perspective. Do they care about things like color and profile? OH Yeah they do. Position, depth, movement, among many other factors as well.

I don't use chum or scent to trick 'em - that's not fly fishing to me. Success is about putting two and two together - when the fish's perspective and your offering align, you get the grab.

My point with herring flies (I have particular situations in mind) is that they are much more suitable to these big fish's perspective than the flies 99.9% of the fly guys are using during the spring herring runs.

It's not in and of itself the solution, but it's an important ingredient. The most important factors are in the thinking that the angler does, much more so than the tools he uses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.