New York in August? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Squire animal

New York in August?

What would the fishing be like around New York at this time of year?
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I would guess that bluefish would be there in force, stripers hunting around the breakers and the albacore and bonito would be showing like mad around Montauk, which is among the most famous locations on the entire coast for saltwater fishing.

I'd contact our new sponsor tightlines flyfishing, located in NJ very close to the NY border. tightlinesflyfishing.com The fishery on the New Jersey coast is legendary as well, and the drive is quite reasonable.

Also Saltwater Edge, located in Newport Rhode Island who knows the Ocean State's South County which is not too far to drive for some real quality fishing in August. Driving east, you would be in the thick of things once you hit Rhode Island and we are sponsored by three captains who charter in the hot rhody fishery: Capt Ray Stachelek, Capt Bob Hines and Capt Dave Sanderson. All have smokin fishing boats and know how to hunt down the action.

If you went north, there would be some world-class trout fishing in the West Branch of the Delaware or if you have some time to drive Upstate NY is famous for the Catskills.

It depends on what you are after... trout or saltwater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2004, 04:02 PM

Saltwater will be better than the fresh water fly fishing in August in that area. Lived out there for quite a while.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Squire animal

Saltwater would be my only concern. Juro, thanks for the info... I was a bit worried that it would be the ' Summer doldrums'.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:25 PM

August is probably the hottest month along with July trout fishing is usually slow. I would target the salt myself. Long Island or the Jersey shore.

Good luck !
Old 02-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Secret:Time on the water

August is a bit early for hardtails around the Montauk area unless you are talking about very late August. The bass and blues should be well in force; early morning and late evening excursions will produce better than any other times during this period. Last season saw a large body of fish hanging around the south side of Montauk from the point west, alot of these fish were very large and very shy during the daylight, I think if you were so inclined putting the flyrod down for a bit a slinging a big fat juicy eel at them would have worked well. But I opted to stick with the feathers and went hitless while watching many very large logs swim under the boat. This year I will be at it again with different tactics at the ready in case I run into the same type of behavior. Live bait will always outproduce any other offering but I want to fool these large fish with my creation not gods . Feel free to contact me around that time and I would be more than happy to give you a a better idea of the pulse of the action around then.

Mike M.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Squire animal

Sure thing, thanks Mike.
My trip would be around the last week of August and definately a fluff and feathers affair!
Don't mind getting up early either, although I will have to divide fishing with seeing some of the best sites New York has to offer... Other than lunker Bass and bluefish!
Old 02-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Marine Scientist

The question is, where in New York are you planning on going? The state is massive, and what would seem like a relatively short drive from one place to the next is deceiving; for example, it's roughly 2.5-3 hours drive from the tip of Long Island to the City (NY). If you're concentrating on the fish that are hanging around the end of the island, you may find it a pain to see some of the city sights; besides, with good fishing, who wants to be anywhere but on the water waving the long rod?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:04 PM

I assumed Stevo is visiting NYC. You can be into good trout fishing country with a 2-3 hour drive west of NYC into western NJ, PA, and southern NYS rivers. However the water is usually very low that time of the year. Pretty country though and some historical sites to see out that way also.

Depends what you want and how much time you have its at least a day trip out of NYC.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Squire animal

Guys

Nothing concrete yet, however I was not aware of the distances so I will bare that in mind, thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.