Wild Steelhead Coalition Feb 4th Meeting Can't Miss - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2004, 11:39 AM

Wild Steelhead Coalition Feb 4th Meeting Can't Miss

Coming Events - Bill McMillian to Speak at February 4 Meeting February 2004
Guest Speaker: Bill McMillan
Presentation Title: The Situk and Skagit Rivers: A Comparison of Steelhead, Past and Present
When: Wednesday February 4th
Time: 6:30-7 Social come and have a beer or two and get caught up
with old and new friends. 7 Official meeting begins
Where: Bothell American Legion Post
19213 Bothell Way NE, Bothell, WA

For half a century Bill McMillan has fished Northwest steelhead rivers and observed both abundance and depletion. In early May 2003 Bill had his first experience fishing and observing Southeast Alaska's famed Situk River, well known for it's spectacular steelhead fishing. "It was to be my first experience of seeing steelhead abundance rivaling that of Pacific salmon such as chum. But the fact is, I have since found that it was but a reduced level of depletion. Nevertheless, the experience is one that has suggested how far off the target we may be in setting goals for steelhead restoration in the Pacific Northwest of the Lower 48." In this presentation Bill will compare and contrast Alaska's Situk River with our own Skagit River, and how the history of steelhead abundance and depletion has played out in both systems.

Bill McMillan started fishing at age 5. In 1965-66 he began fisheries studies at the UW but found fish conservation subordinate to hatchery propagation. With Haig-Brown's writings as guide, fishing became his means for data collection and fishery activism outside the system. In 1983 he initiated snorkel surveys that documented wild steelhead declines in southwest Washington. In 1995-96 he was American director of a Russian/American research camp on the Kamchatka Peninsula funded by the Wild Salmon Center. Bill is currently president of Washington Trout and remains active in conservation efforts statewide. In November 2002 Bill was the WSC's guest speaker on the topic of "Hatchery Impacts on Wild Steelhead Populations".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jeff -

If you filmed these I'd definitely donate funds to the WSC to get copies. For those lucky dogs who can attend, please take good notes.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:44 AM

Thanks for bumping this up to the top. Today is my reminder day.

The program is a little in flux right now as Bill's mother has become very ill and has gone to take care of her. Right now it looks like we will have the presentation that was given to all the commissioners done by Jack Berryman and Dick Burge. It should be interesting to hear there report back about their meetings.

And if any of you live on the Eastside Fred Shiosaki refused to meet with us as an FYI.

thanks
JJ
Old 02-03-2004, 11:03 AM

Jeff,
Who is Fred Shioshaki? Does he play baseball?
Old 02-03-2004, 12:34 PM

Fred is one of the Commission member from Spokane and he refused to meet with the WSC about wild steelhead status.

JJ
Old 02-03-2004, 03:34 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Jeff
Sorry to hear about Bill's mother. But if he does speak and if a video or transcript is available of his talk, I'd sure be interested, as well. I was fortunate to spend time with Bill in Kamchatka in 1996. He's the real thing and one of the nicest flyfishers I've ever met. A great passion and respect for the resource and a true joy to be with.
Bill
Old 02-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Jolly Buddha

WSC Meeting.
Sorry that Bill wasn't there , BUT the report that they gave was the best I've seen in years. Dick & Larry great job!!!!:eyecrazy:

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 02-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Holdout

I thought Jack Berryman did a outstanding job presenting the information and it was great to have Curt Kramer in attendance as well. Special Thanks again to Dick Burge, WSC VP of Conservation and WSC Member Larry Doyle for their work gathering and compiling the data.

The presentation was a review of what the WSC presented to the Commissioners over the last few weeks. The data and charts showing the decline of the Puget Sound streams and then showing the down ward trend on the Olympic Peninsula streams in the last three years was very compelling. The Commission meeting is tomorrow in Olympia.

March Meeting will be David Montgomery, Author of the just recent published book King of Fish: 1000 Year Run of Salmon. (suggested reading for all)

Frank Moore, Legend of the NF Umpqua will be the April meeting speaker just talking about the fish.

-Lost poor realitive of the Simms family fishing fortune

Last edited by rich_simms; 02-06-2004 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.