Sauk park - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2004, 11:19 PM

Sauk park

If this concerns you, please drop a line. There's power in numbers.

I have been camping at the Sauk Park for a good number of years. In fact, a large group of us go there every April whether the fishing is good or bad. Many of these men have a long history of casting on this great river. It seems that due to budget cuts, the Park Dept. will not open the park until May 1st. I know we can go to Howard Miller Park, like we did last year, but we all know it's not the same. So, if you agree, please email the Park Dept. at spf@skagitparksfoundation.com and ask that they open the camp site in April.

Rimmy
nwspeycasting@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2004, 08:39 PM

Which Park on the Sauk?

I e-mailed my request to keep the Park open in April because I fish the Sauk each year at that time, but I am unsure of which park along the Sauk you are referring.

Thanks,
Dwight
Old 02-06-2004, 09:28 PM

I heard on another web site that the park you are talking about was open now. It's a Skagit County Park.

Jim
Old 02-07-2004, 11:52 AM

Dwight Thank you for your reply. The parks dept returned my email, and because of you and the 50 + e-mails they received it seems it worked. I will let every one know. The park is about a 1/4 of a mile down river from the native hole on the Sauk -Concrete Road. Yes, Rich, the park is open but only during the day - no camping at this time! Thank you once more. Read the book Steelhead Water to learn the history of the park.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Pullin' Thread

Rimmy,

The camping area you are speaking about is a Skagit County Park, not a state park. The Skagit County Parks Dept. (which happens to be my county of residence) has not closed nor restricted the hours you may be present in this campground. It is opened now and has been opened all winter.

It also has no camping fee since it has no potable water or outhouses available in it. Plenty of camping spots though. And it is right on the Sauk River, although the river just down the hill from the campground is poor steelhead water due to the amount of sand and clay bottom it has.

My very close friend Bob Arnold in his book STEELHEAD WATER, was not talking about camping in the county park, which is just down the Sauk-Concrete Road on the right side after crossing the one-lane steel bridge. He and several others used set up camp in the old gravel pit just east of the Sauk-Concrete road bridge (it is located between the on-lane steel bridge bridge and the Rockport-Darrington Hwy), and that old gravel pit has been cabled and closed for 9 years. In fact, unless a person knew where it was, he probably would drive or even walk right past it without realizing it was the spot Bob spoke about camping at in STEELHEAD WATER.

The state does have a campground on Hwy 20 just west of Rockport (about 1/2 mile from Rockport) that is called "Sauk Park" and it closes every year on October 1st and reopens on May 1st. It is not open during daylight or any hours in this October-to-May time frame. And the state has operated it as such since its inception.

However, the Skagit County "Howard Miller Park" is where fishermen camp if staying on the Skagit. It has potable water and outhouses and is right on the Skagit River.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:50 AM

I know your right about Bob's book. I know it's not a state park, but last year the Park Dept closed it until May1st because so many homeless people were living there. Right now park manager, Michael See, of Hower Miller Steelhead Park is working with me to get the park open in April for camping.
Lets hope it happens. Thank You.

MikeRimkus
p.s. I'll see you Saturday?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Jolly Buddha

Park

Hey, I was up there today there was no signs saying it was closed.

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 02-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Pullin' Thread

Brian,

That is exactly what I was speaking about in my other post on it being a Skagit County park. I've been up there several times since mid-December and it was never closed or gated any of those times. I see you also found it was not closed when you were there today.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Decent Member

The Skagit Parks Foundation Web site lists it as open for day use only until the first of May, then it is open to overnight camping. Which was the whole point of the original post.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:25 PM

Thank you Robert and Russ for all your input. It may seem small to some people but it is important to me.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Chief of E.P.

Moot Point

There are no steelhead in the Sauk this year. None. Please don't waste your time fishing it. Don't even come up to take a look at it. Steelhead expected back in 2008 -- maybe.

Stay away!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

The Sauk River was completely destroyed during the October floods. I am surprised that there is even a trickle of water left. Most everything had been turned into nothing but one big ass sand bar littered with uprooted trees.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Decent Member

I would reccomend a tour of the tulip fields!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Pullin' Thread

With the snow level up at over 7,000 ft today, the Sauk is going to be a wonderful mocha colored river. Add some rain to it this weekend and it will be out for a couple more weeks. Kerry is right, the Suak was hurt badly in the October flood and there is sand in all the holes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.