new llbean stripping baskets? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 09:24 PM
LBFF Mojo

new llbean stripping baskets?

Was looking at the llbean site and noticed their new stripping baskets for under $20. Look almost like the orvis ones.

Anybody checked them out??? I just ordered one, at that price why not.

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2004, 07:18 AM

I got one too. Read on the net that's it's the same size at the Orvis for less money. FishHawk
Old 02-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I bought one to see if my experimentation on these devices could finally stop. I was impressed but I could still build one better.

(+) The plastic is tough and although it came on a frigid day it was still slightly pliable after hours in sub-freezing temps. That tells me it will be nice in midsummer.

(+) I like the color, it's very neutral sand.

(+/-) The rod grooves are large, which let more water splash in but the rod will cradle nicely.

(+) The bucket is shaped to be shallower in the front which compensates for the natural forward tilt, very nice.

(?) The cones are narrow and close together with lots of empty room on either side. I have to test this before deciding whether it's good or whether the open areas on the side will allow tangling.

(-) It's somewhat heavy and stiff. Try this test - put the basket on and tie your shoelaces. When I use a standard rubbermaid bucket I cut the back lip off and it flexes comfortably with the abdomen even when tying shoelaces. (Of course you can and should spin it to the rear)

(-) It's heavy, like the Orvis bucket. I prefer a bucket that is feather light.

(-) It's very hard to dump water out of, the way it's shaped so ergonomically and it's material stiffness actually makes it difficult to dump water out of.

Overall:

I thinks it's awesome that Bean cut through the relative void with a basket that is just as good and half as much. I used to buy the Orvis baskets to offer to my clients, but after losing hundreds of dollars worth of baskets to all kinds of accidental events I decided not to pay over $40 for baskets anymore since it only cost me a few bucks to make a damn good one. At $20 I will offer them to clients this year (I'll buy one more).

Do I think it's the ultimate basket? No, but that keeps us crafty angler types happy working on a new one

You can still make 3-4 baskets yourself for the same price, if that matters. Yet the bean's price tag makes it matter a whole lot less than it used to!
Old 02-03-2004, 09:32 AM

The search for the perfect stripping basket continues.....

I'll probably pick one up at that price tag. Has anyone tried the stripping disk - you know, the frisbee thing with no sides and raised cones? Obviously not practical in surf but I'm wondering how it would work on the flats.

Like Juro I'm a rubbermaid guy, but keep in mind that the Orvis basket includes a membership to CCA.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:44 AM

The CCA is a very good point... but as an annual contributor it would only add insult to injury

Well then, the bar has been raised... time for a $10 basket, just as good! Basket wars!
Old 02-03-2004, 09:56 AM
President of CAC

Oh Good!...because I have piles of Bumper stickers I get at fly shows and don't have room on my existing basket anymore!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juro
(?) The cones are narrow and close together with lots of empty room on either side. I have to test this before deciding whether it's good or whether the open areas on the side will allow tangling.

(-) It's very hard to dump water out of, the way it's shaped so ergonomically and it's material stiffness actually makes it difficult to dump water out of.

I got to use one of these this fall, and I found that the cone pattern worked great. I was originally concerned about the voids on the edges of the basket, but I never had any problems with it.

I agree about dumping water though, It's basically impossible without some rather uncomfortable contortions. To solve this issue I removed the stock belt and replaced it with an elasticized one- I found the belt that came with my Patagonia waders is idea for this application. I did need to use a utility knife to widen the slots so that I could fit the buckles through, but with that done and the new belt in place I think the basket is hugely improved.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:00 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
"(-) It's very hard to dump water out of, the way it's shaped so ergonomically and it's material stiffness actually makes it difficult to dump water out of. "

What am I missing here? Can't you just drill a few holes in it?
Old 02-03-2004, 02:50 PM
President of CAC

wrke... no problem drilling holes in them... and since you should not wade...if possible... above your waist there usually is no problem with water coming in though the holes. I have holes drilled and I never have to tilt the basket...you don't need big ones... just placed strategically to pick the water flow. I know one guy who has only one hole in a corner... and he can "bend" the basket to that location and it empties...so you have options.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wrke
"(-) It's very hard to dump water out of, the way it's shaped so ergonomically and it's material stiffness actually makes it difficult to dump water out of. "

What am I missing here? Can't you just drill a few holes in it?
Like striblue said, drilling holes aren't a problem if you're looking to remove all the water, but I prefer to have a bit of water in the bottom of my basket to keep the line wet, so drilling a bunch of holes doesn't make sense for me.

I've been thinking about putting some holes at the bottom of the back wall so that I can drain the basket by tiliting it back a bit, but I've never gotten around to it.

Some sort of scupper might be ideal, but perhaps that's getting a bit too complicated.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:29 PM

Bill -

Unlike John and Matt I have a much more passionate answer to the question of holes... HELL NO!

IMHO - when wading, the water should never be allowed to swell up into the bucket particularly when there is line coiled in it. This causes an agitating motion that will invent new knots yet unknown to man. This is exemplified when the angler walks, worse yet if he runs, which is invariably the case then fish come to the surface. He runs, he casts - NOT!

It's true that if an angler never wades beyond the bottom of his bucket it's a non-issue. I say then why not wear hip waders? :hehe:

Even if the angler is not fishing that deep he/she often must traverse water of that depth and the last thing one needs is 8# per gallon on the waist.

Matt -

Over the 18 months I have been working on a "system" as I've alluded to in my posts. I am going to keep quiet until it's ready for production but all I can say is...
Old 02-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Based on this thread I have purchased one of Bean's baskets this very day.

Juro, I will use mine in a boat and will indeed drill a hole or two to vacate excess water.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Marine Scientist

Why not retrofit the basket with a valve that can be opened to let water out? It would be pretty simple to incorporate this feature in any basket.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:33 PM

How about a hole with a small cork?!!!! It's the KISS principle at work again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.