ESPN/MTV...and now CBS... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 10:00 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs down ESPN/MTV...and now CBS...

IMHO...
Lame programming, the best of the very worst...
Charlie Moore, the "gerbil on speed", and "Caught ya", a la MTV "Punked"...is fairly convincing evidence of an uninspired campaign of misdirected sensory assault.
I feel offended and insulted every time I'm exposed to this junque TV and (after I switch channels) I let "them" know of my dissatisfaction by fireing off a salvo across their marketing bow...$$$ & public opinion, the bottom line!?
If you don't like what they are dishing out...e-mail the networks and fill their screens with your dissatisfaction.
The SuperBowl half time "extravaganza" was yet another example of inappropriate trash perpetrated by MTV on our senses (and your children).
Give the marketing anal-retentive-ists something to report!
I can't wait for an MTV Fly Fishing Masters series!

Or...am I all wrong and over reacting?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2004, 10:10 AM

personal opinin only ....

No your not.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Fly chucker

Regarding Charlie Moore, I always know when he's on the tube because I can hear the loudmouth from several channels away.

And now I see that Deion Sanders is the host of American Outdoors. Truly, this is a sign of Armageddon....
Old 02-02-2004, 10:31 AM

tv shows

I have gotten so I don't even watch fishing shows anymore. I am down to the occasional golf tournament and "professional" wrestlin' :hehe:
Old 02-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Loopaholics Anonymous

Try this site...

www.onemilliondads.com

I'm sure the Super Bowl will come up soon...

-G
Old 02-02-2004, 11:38 AM
President of CAC

I did not watch the half time show and I can't remember the last time I did..I was channel surfing. But the boob thing was intentional from what I can tell from the reruns on the news stations ( Blotted out) and the kid rock flag wearing was rediculious.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:44 AM

Ditto

I was hoping for something closer to U2's performance 2 years ago when they displayed the 911 victims' names on a giant scroll behind the stage. Truly an inspiring performance by Bono and company...in the wake of our national tragedy.

Now you get the impression that the people who buy the ads during the regular season (Coors=Kid Rock) get to pick the halftime performers.

Surprise, surprise...
Old 02-03-2004, 07:14 AM

Charlie Moore is obnoxious to say the least. It's guys like that give PETA ammunition. Also, who watches him?
As far as the half time show. Everyone is talking about this more than the great game that took place. When people remember this Super Bowl it won't be the Pats victory but half time theatrics what a shame.
FishHawk
Old 02-03-2004, 11:43 AM
JD

Maybe that's why

I'm not into sports..... Am (Did) I missing anything?:eyecrazy:
Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Loopaholics Anonymous

Not really...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4137568/
Old 02-03-2004, 12:48 PM

Beat Charlie Moore

I was hoping someone would mention Charlie Moore. I thought it was just me that finds that show horrific.

Last week I was watching his show.. and noticed him running around like a lunatic with a small 12 inch bass jumping around and yapping for what seemed like 5 minutes with the fish still out of the water. After his rant he flipped the fish under his leg at a good distance from the pond so it cartwheeled through the air and finally landed back in the water. Not really showing good responsible sportsmanship here. On top of that they pan the camera over to a sign that reads NO FISHING, then you here him and this other guy talking about getting out of there before the owner comes back.

Now I am certainly not a saint and as a youth fished in places that I wasnt supposed to all in hopes of catching a monster. Lets face it though that this isn't the type of behavior we want to teach young kids. Showing them its ok to mishandle a living creature, tresspass and to break the law.

Just my 2 cents
Old 02-03-2004, 12:48 PM

I'm with you Penguin. I did fire off an email complaint to CBS. I have a sick feeling that nothing can change the course of the moral slide in this country.
I'm no angel but there's a time and a place for crap and the super bowl was no it.

Lefty
Old 02-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Angry "Beat Charlie Moore"......

With a stick!!! Knuckle Heads like him?????? We Don't need. He does nothing for me or us. Nuff said.

As far as half time.....
My brother in law won a contest from a local radio station. Big screen tv, food, the whole 9 yards. Several of the radio personalities attended. A good time was had by all. My two girls, ages 7.5 & 5 also attended. The half time "show" came and went. Instead of explaining back field in motion to my wife, I found myself trying to explain the actions of three thimble brains to my kids. Wealthy thimble brains. But thimble brains all the same. Let's not forget about that dope doing a jig at mid-field.

If you can't tell, I'm a little PO'ed over this. As a father of two young girls, you try to guide them in the right direction. You teach them to be good people and to do the right thing. You can't be with them every minute of every day. But you would think that in the safety of your home, you could control what they're exposed to. Think again Jimmy!

So my thanks go out to Janet JackAss, Justin TimberBrain, and Kid Rocksinhishead. You've shown my children exactly what not to be when they grow up. And let's not forget Charlie No-Moore.

The Soap Box has been returned to its original up right position.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:08 PM

Hey Lefty Eh!

"I'm no angel" - I don't know about thisn one, so I'll pass on it...

"but there's a time and a place for crap" - NO THERE IS NOT! This may be a root cause, our tolerance for crap when we should never compromise!

"and the super bowl was no it" - see above, there is no place for crap, period!

Keep on fishing and hold out for your values!
Old 02-03-2004, 04:35 PM
LBFF Mojo

Was not going to jump into this but ah well...

As a father of a 6 month old I would have to say I am not all that worried about this. My view is if you raise them right you should not be a big issue. When stuff like this happens they should be able to look at the situation and know if it was right or wrong. Trying to shield your kid from everything does not help them in any way.

Lessons should have been learned from this incident thus empowering your children to deal with situations like this in the future. If you do not do this you leave them totally unprepared for adulthood. You cannot depend on others changing their actions to fit into your moral view of the world. It ain't happening...

Having been raised in a super strict religious family I cannot tell you how difficult of a time it was for me going to college. I did not have the capacity to deal with anything going on in the real world. I for one will make sure my kid is not going to have that problem. Goes back to the point of empowering your kids, not sheltering them.

Have you seen TV in other countries? Our TV is tame in comparison.

Also the Janet and Justin thing was over the top but I cannot quite pinpoint the anger towards Kid Rock. I do not listen to him but really did not see a problem with his performance. I mean he is a rock star...he did nothing different than the pelvis pumping Elvis was doing in his time.

Just 2 cents from a guy who remembers the game and not the half time show,

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.