Christmas Is. 2004-More Photos - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Christmas Is. 2004-More Photos

After I last left off, I was moaning about the weather...well...now you can see why!!

Hmmmm...somewhere down there swim some bonefish...good luck seeing them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weather2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	2849  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2004, 01:34 AM
Mod

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	weather3.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	2857  

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 01-30-2004 at 01:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2004, 01:34 AM
Mod

But we did have some decent weather at times...the following pics are taken of the Korean Wreck area (my favorite area of the Island...much differant enviroment then that of the Lagoon flats which are shown in the previous two photos).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	koreanwreck.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2851  
Old 01-30-2004, 01:36 AM
Mod

The Korean Wreck will always be a special place to me but not just because it is swarming with the biggest baddest bonefish on the Island...or because the bones there actually 'tail' in the surf and will actually beach themselves in their feeding frenzies...or because it is just a beautiful place BUT because it is where I tied into the fish of a lifetime-a 60# Giant Trevally.

George, my guide for the day and a favorite of many, was walking me along the beach pointing out bones. Out of the corner of my eye however, I started to see him strip line of my trevally rod (CND 11' #11). I asked "Trevally?" (most guides just yell Trevally and get very excited and thus induce a serious case of Buck Fever).

George pointed 2/3rds of the way out to the breakers and about 100 feet down the beach...the GT stood out like a sore thumb as he was a massive blue mass lazily swimming our direction.

I threw my bonefish rod down, grabbed my trevally rod, started stripping line and running out onto the coral to head him off. With about 70' of line stripped out, I was within about 60' of the fish with him just a few feet from being in a perfect postion to make cast.

I tossed a few water loaded casts to get the fishes attention and to get everything set...I then popped a perfect cast 5 feet in front of him. I took two slow even strips...saw him turn, look at him...grab the fly...and turn away.

I looked down to make sure my line was clear and let him him...I ran back to the sandy beach to the highest point I could find and held the rod high and locked my drag down on my Abel. He just wandered off into the breakers with power I have never experienced...

...it is known, that a 20# Trevally is difficult to land at the Korean Wreck because the sheer power of the fish allows it to swim out to the breakers and down into the edge of the coral. Flylines, backing and #80 shock tippet are no match for the coral. Pop went the leader as the fish ran it against the edge of the coral...as I reeled in the 150 yds or so of backing...I just hoped that I would still have my flyline.

The following picture is George retooling my leader and showing me how the guides like to do it (he didn't care for my fancy biminis and wimpy #20 Maxima class tipper).

...and if you look in the picture of the Korean Wreck, look for the last set of breakers...the fish was beyond those as I was standing up on the sandy beach trying to keep as much line up and out of the water as possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	george.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	2853  

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 01-30-2004 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Mod

The Giant Trevally were not our main target however. We did spend some time focusing on known trevally spots and any chance we had at one, we would take it but bonefish were our main target.

The first picture is nothing more then your average sized bone but hopes of getting a picture snapped with my first ever bone were dashed when the fished jumped out of my hands before the pciture could be snapped.

So I (as well as you) have to settle for a picture of my second ever bonefish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bonefish1mod.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	2854  
Old 01-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Mod

The following couple of pictures were taken on a little fished spot on the Island. We started hammering big ocean side bonefish right of the bat but the clouds came in and made it very difficult to spot the fish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bonefish2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	2855  
Old 01-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Mod

Another picture of the Korean Wreck that was suppose to be posted after the 1st picture of the Wreck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	koreanwreck2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2858  
Old 01-30-2004, 01:42 AM
Mod

Back to bonefish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bonefish3.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	2859  
Old 01-30-2004, 01:43 AM
Mod

And now back to the trevally!

The next picture was taken on a random beach in the Bay of Wrecks. One afternoon at low tide, we we made our way to some cuts to chum and tease up some trevally. Brett hooked up with a 70# Giant Trevally in a fight that was much shorter then mine and much more costly (the fish used the coral to cut through his flyline and swim off with 25' of it).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bayofwrecks.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	2860  
Old 01-30-2004, 01:44 AM
Mod

I was lucky enough to hook up and land 3 golden trevally on the trip with this fish being the largest. The Golden Trevally is much more rare then the Giant and Bluefin Trevally. This species is officially the Black Sportstripe Trevally but pretty much any trevally that has a sucker-like mouth is referred to as a Golden Trevally (the true Golden Trevally are found in the lagoon and are VERY VERY prized by sportsmen because they are so rare).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blacksportstripe.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2861  
Old 01-30-2004, 01:45 AM
Mod

And the following was one of the largest Bluefin Trevally I caught on the trip. I had shots at much larger fish but the big bluefins are very weary fish that do not pounce on flies like the GT's.

This fish was actually caught on a #7 Winston BL5 (a noodle) as I was casting towards a school of much smaller bluefins as we did not actually see this larger fish in the group.

The small bluefins (6"-12") are very aggresive and a nuisance at times as they will steal your flies from bonefish, larger bluefins and GT's. Even a bluefin no larger then your hand will CORK a #7 rod...the following fish was about the largest you can land on a #7 and took about 15 minutes to land.

BTW-As you can see from the photo, the guides down there are not the best picture takers.

Old 01-30-2004, 01:45 AM
Mod

Once I get the pictures back from some of the others in my group, I will post them as well.

There is one photo that I can not wait to see as I am soaked from head to toe holding a decent sized bluefin trevally. At low tide, I waded out to the breakers to cast my two-hander into the edge of the blue water (where the GT's, larger bluefin and the occasional Yellowfin roam. It was not the most relaxing fishing I have done as I was constalty taking breakers into the chest and occasionly would take one to the face-the force of which nearly knocked me flat on my ass a couple times.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:02 AM

Great pics Ryan! I'm still convinced that a 3 pound trevally fights harder than any steelhead up to 15 pounds. I once had one run in what seemed like just seconds about 250 feet. The fish was headed for deep water but a large wave breaking on the outside reef somehow turned him around and he started back at me at the same speed as when he was hooked. No way I could strip fast enough and it was terrifying because he was headed right at me.

Those 60 # fish can be landed but you need to use the boat from outside the reef or in the channels and back the fish into deeper water. Not much fun though because they fight just like a tuna, down and heavy. More fun to see them rip across the reef at 30 MPH or more before pinging your leader on the outside reef.

Did you try Bonefish fish cakes? An Islander treat for sure. What about the Lobsters? How much Booze did you bring? Any Single Bird Women there this time of year? What's next Western Russia for Salmon?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Mr. Mom

Sparky! From the earlier posts I thought you LANDED that fish!!!! Bummer dude! Not suprising though. A very famous angler with a saltwater fly fishing show went to Midway to film an episode. In six days he didn't land a single GT. They were all 40lbs or more, and they all took him to the coral. Episode never aired You are definitely in good company

Too bad about the weather, but you just insured that the next trip will be perfect by suffering through a bad one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.