Setting eyes - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2004, 10:30 AM
CantAnchorUs

Setting eyes

John. I noticed in your last pic of the Slammer that you have the eyes set back on the bucktail with a smaller head. When I do my heads I usually bring the Goop or epoxy back on the wing a bit more and set the eyes while it is still setting up so that I can squeese them into the glue a bit, but it makes for some rather large heads especialy on the smaller flies. Have you experienced any falling off of eyes that are mounted on the hair? Or am I concerned over nothing. My usual drill is to tie off, add a layer of Hard Head, let set, add eyes and then epoxy over the whole thing. Makes big heads but It looks good and they never come off.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
President of CAC

Steve...a couple things..I usually drop some drops of epoxy to seal in the eyes..the epoxy will flow though the feathers and attach to each other at the shank... This is fairly secure..but you can have them fall off no matter how you secure them...This is just the way that Sedotti does his original patterns... By epoxying at the thread tie..you have done a better job at securing the eyes into the head and they will not fall off. A head or ball of epoxy covering the eyes at the eye tye is always more secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.