Greetings from Denmark - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2001, 10:04 AM
Recent Member

Send a message via ICQ to Martin
Greetings from Denmark

Hello fellow flyfishers!

I was just searching the net for interesting flyfishing sites, and now look where I end up.

I am already an inveterate flyfisher even though I began flyfishing in January this year. So I am still a beginner but my casting abilities have improved a lot since my first feeble casting attemps on a nearby lawn.

I prefer saltwater flyfishing without any doubt. I guess it's getting competitive - making longer and longer casts, that is. Currently I am trying to figure out how to cast with a shooting head but I am not doing that well.

Best regards,

Martin, Denmark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2001, 10:26 AM
Flats Rat

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of great information here and more importantly, a lot of experienced anglers who will freely give a great deal of good advice.

I've heard about the great sea trout fishing off the coast of Denmark - tell us all about your experiences!
Old 05-09-2001, 10:46 AM

Martin....
Greetings and welcome! Don't be a stranger!
I've been to Copenhagen and Herlev and was very impressed with the Danish attitude and hospitality.
When it comes to managing/casting a weighted line or shooting head...I've had fairly good results with a version of the "circle cast" or "Belgian cast"...try keeping the end of the weighted section very close to the rod tip. Gently at first, don't apply too much "umph" (power) or you risk over stressing your rod and shattering the tip.
Proper technique + practice practice practice = Distance. There are a good many regular friends on this site who can certainly help you in the right direction...ask questions, get answers, and make firends! ENJOY!
Welcome aboard and tight lines! Cheers!
PeteGray (from westerm Massachusettes, USA)
Old 05-09-2001, 11:04 AM

Martin...

Yup! you will find alot of help here, but also, don't feel alone. Some of us are new to it as well (like me), but by just reading the posts and getting involved with this site, I can attest, these guy's are here to help! What a great site!

So, how about a little info on your fisheries? You might be interested in the INTERNATIONAL CLAVE we have been talking about. WELCOME
Old 05-09-2001, 08:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Welcome Martin! I have read about your ocean fishing on Martin Joergenson's website. He visited us in Seattle in the middle of winter and we took him fishing for steelhead. We did not score but swapped flies and stories over coffee in a small diner in the middle of nowhere.

Last year I visited SAS on business and ended up staying over in Copenhagen. Beautiful city, I felt very welcomed and enjoyed walking. I realize now that I should have had a bicycle like many in Copenhagen!

Too bad we had not met online before, I would have enjoyed exploring the coastline. As I flew over Denmark I was astonished by the amount of coastline you have to fish!

I look forward to corresponding with you. You will have many things in common with the saltwater flyfishermen here. If I ever am fortunate enough to visit Denmark again, I would love to have you show me around the flyshops or even take some casts.

BTW - Do you have access to the various European tube fly tubes in the shops where you live?
Old 05-20-2001, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Martin (05-09-2001 11:05 a.m.):
Hello fellow flyfishers!
I prefer saltwater flyfishing without any doubt. I guess it's getting competitive - making longer and longer casts, that is. Currently I am trying to figure out how to cast with a shooting head but I am not doing that well.
Best regards,
Martin, Denmark
Morn!

I stayed with friends in Odense for a bit back in the mid-80's and was curious about all those great looking little islands off Eaaborg/Svenborg. Is it all rocky coastline? Fishable? What beaches were all those Germans going to that I met on the ferry?

Still can't say "ror ror meflor" (probably can't spell it right either).
Old 05-23-2001, 04:14 AM
Recent Member

Quote:
juro (05-09-2001 09:55 p.m.):

[SNIP]

BTW - Do you have access to the various European tube fly tubes in the shops where you live?
Tubes for flyrods or tubeflies? I can easily get both...
Old 05-23-2001, 04:19 AM
Recent Member

Quote:
SOLO (05-09-2001 11:46 a.m.):

[SNIP]

When it comes to managing/casting a weighted line or shooting head...I've had fairly good results with a version of the "circle cast" or "Belgian cast"...try keeping the end of the weighted section very close to the rod tip. Gently at first, don't apply too much "umph" (power) or you risk over stressing your rod and shattering the tip.
What's the idea of using the "Belgian cast"? Do you get more linecontrol, and therefore a better presentation of the fly on the water?

/Martin,

"Who cannot perform any other cast than the 'overheadcast'"
Old 05-23-2001, 04:24 AM
Recent Member

Quote:
juro (05-09-2001 09:55 p.m.):
[SNIP]

I look forward to corresponding with you. You will have many things in common with the saltwater flyfishermen here. If I ever am fortunate enough to visit Denmark again, I would love to have you show me around the flyshops or even take some casts.
When the time comes I'll give you a flyfishing tour here on the County of Fyn - we do have something to offer (surely nothing compared to the States).

/Martin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.