International Clave! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2001, 02:22 PM
Flats Rat

International Clave!

This got started out under "Migrating Fish Report" in the Stripers & Coastal Gamefish board but really belongs here.

The idea is to explore the possibility of getting an International group of forum members together, somewhere, sometime in the future. It's early days so post away and let's see where it goes! Current suggestions are focused on Bahamas/Carribean but at this point anything is up for grabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2001, 05:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A late summer / fall trip to British Columbia is definitely among the top excursions in the world if you're into mountains, streams, and steelhead. Scenery, incredible gamefish, temperate weather, and reasonable cost... not to mention some of extremely high-proficiency anglers from the region are members of this community.

Or the Gaspe! Bright waters and atlantic salmon, traditional angling that's new and old at the same time.

Nova Scotia - affordable, and boasting healthy salmon runs in the Cape Breton region.

US West - Rockies, need I say more?

The Carribean does sound nice though... sugar sands, palm trees, and ghosts on the flats.

Scotland and the Spey, Dee and rivers where much of our sport's history came from - always intrigued me. We have Willie Gunn and others to show us the way.

New Zealand... South America... Russia... Alaska... Canadian Rockies... even ol' Cape Cod! It's a beautiful planet to know how to flyfish on! ;D

Back to thinking about the International clave site....
Old 04-27-2001, 09:15 PM
Flats Rat

Early June in the wild west of Ireland - Limestone Lakes, BIG Wild Browns AND Atlantic Salmon, Sea Run Browns in the Ocean at Achill Island.......................
Old 04-27-2001, 11:24 PM

Ok, recent 'local' guy will put in 2 cents. Money/travel/lodging, etc., etc., is a "real life" issue for most of us. So question is easy/cost of travel, lodging, and so on. Would recommend Southern Washington/Northern Oregon, or depending upon the time of year Southern Oregon.
Easy access, lots of accessable water, prices you can afford, blah, and blah, but cost wise 'doable.'

And I think that's th point if you're trying to get a significant number of folks together. In this vein, the "International Spey Casting Board' folk are gathering on the Sandy River in Northern Oregon (just east of Portland) in early May for all or the above reasons ... pluse fish, and more fish, and more, etc., in this years run.
Old 04-28-2001, 07:01 AM

How about Vancouver in the early fall? Loads of fish, and incredible public camping facilities. That way the largest expense would be air fare.

South America can be cost effective as well, a group of anglers could rent condos & pangas for short money...

Roop
Old 04-28-2001, 02:18 PM
Flats Rat

North West is starting to sound very tempting!
Old 04-28-2001, 02:42 PM

I would agree... we have a lot of great hosts, this is looking like a BIG year for summer run steelhead, and these yard-long trout are surface fly takers that fight like the dickens and are amazing to behold.

The costs would be very reasonable, and the scenery is mind-boggling. Besides I have all the gear ;D

Seriously and putting all personal preferences aside for the moment is it a very practical and yet exciting destination.
Old 04-28-2001, 03:02 PM
Recent Member

I have been investigating Alberta and British Columbia for rainbows, and I must say that southern Alberta should be on the list if ease of travel and cost are of importance!

From what I understand the Bow R., Crowsnest R., North and South Raven R.'s and others are within a short drive of the Calgary International Airport. With the exchange rate at $1.50 or more, Canada is looking like a great option for me! The guiding rates are in U.S. $, but the rest of the costs ie. meals and accomodations would be very, very reasonable! I don't know how this ranks for the international group but it's worth considering!

I also have a line on a wading/float tubing operation in central B.C. that sounds very interesting and reasonably priced. There is a regional airport in Prince George that is about 1.5 hours from the location, with connections from Vancouver. This is 100% wild rainbows, not steelhead or salmon mind you. But, with the outfitter telling me about 50-100 fish days and rainbows up to 6-8#, he got my attention!

Good luck finding a location, maybe I'll join you if scheduling and time permit!
Old 04-29-2001, 08:50 PM

[quote]WVflycaster (04-28-2001 04:02 p.m.):
I have been investigating Alberta and British Columbia for rainbows, and I must say that southern Alberta should be on the list if ease of travel and cost are of importance!

If it were to be ....
I would gladly line up some pretty good deals on drifters for the Bow and locals who know the Crow and the Elk for a few days.
Don't mean to steal a living from the local guides but someone did say that $$ etc were a issue to everyone. This is one way of getting by with other "local volunteers & FF brethren".
Old 04-30-2001, 07:54 AM

WOW! Thanks Pete. That sure puts a swing in the world-class bargain trip column. When I look at the photo in the raffles page I can hardly believe that's not a steelhead but a resident rainbow.

Looking forward to your arrival at Cape Cod this year,
Juro
Old 05-07-2001, 10:32 AM

YEEHAA!!! yup, If thats a rainbow on the raffles page then sign me up! Of course, someone is going to have to teach me how to fish for em, since, till this point, I've been salt only. But living on the Cape I'm just starting to realize the great freshwater fisheries we have.And also, an International Clave should be about learning new places,methods and people, right? I know it's striper time, well allmost,but I am very interested in this idea, unless I win the raffle, whereas, I'll take plenty of pictures and let the rest of you just drool. So, let's not let it die!

It also makes sense to go where we have connections, which, apparently we've got in Calgary, any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2001, 11:45 AM
Flats Rat

Calgary certainly sounds like a qualifier on the bargain front. I'm thinking that a location which offers a combination of Fresh and Saltwater fishing would be great for an international gathering. Other than the Cape, does anyone have any thoughts/experiences - Florida, Pacific NorthWest maybe? I would also offer suggestions around Europe since to be really international that region ought to be represented. My only reservation being the Saltwater scene over there is relatively undeveloped - but then again maybe that could be the focus of the clave -- I've heard the sea run browns run very large off the coast of Denmark and Atlantics are caught in the sea off Thurso in the North of Scotland - then there are places like Iceland, Greenland etc.

Anyone out there with any thoughts or experiences to share?
Old 05-07-2001, 08:37 PM

I've got a friend in Denmark who is a seatrout afficionado, and although I won't say he owes me any favors we hosted him on a few steelhead rivers when he visited Microsoft several years ago. I'll drop him a line to ask for the inside scoop on the fishery.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:03 PM

Hi to you all from one side of the great PNW. We will be entering a post from BRITISH Columbia on the fantastic fisheries aviable both Salt and Fresh. This is a Big piece of realestate if you can invission an 8HR.drive to get 1/2 way through this province going North. We do have it all as wll as a DOLLAR that gives you approx $ 1.50 in return for the American version
Hold On To your Tight lines

saltRon
Old 05-07-2001, 09:44 PM
Flats Rat

One of the great things about this forum has been the opportunity to read the posts on steelhead fishing. One way or another I can see I'll be making a trip out there in the not too distant future. I'm really looking forward to hearing all about it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.