strike indicator - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2001, 11:18 PM
Recent Member

strike indicator

Hey, how do you put one of these on? the guy at the shop showed me, using a piece of rubber band or something and I forgot how!

Thanks,
Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2001, 11:41 PM

Shivis --- Aaron Come back to me and i will try to guide you in these basics as we talked before . There is a strike in

dicator that incorporates a rubber O ring but is rather heavy but there are many other things and systems to use for this purpose. Dependent on the depth that you want to fish use a piece of yarn with dry fly flotant applied tied on to the leader at that legnth [ depth]
Keep working at this .Are you going fishing this weekend ? where ?
Talk to you
salRon
Old 05-05-2001, 12:59 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I have always hated using strike indicators because of the pain in the you know what to adjust, hold in place etc. etc.

For steelhead I use pretty much mini-dink floats but for trout I love Bio-strike. This stuff has the consistency of Playdough and you just mold it into a small ball and place on your leader. Plus it floats like a cork, is easy to see and best of all, it is bio-degredable.
Old 05-05-2001, 07:12 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've never used floating / dropper rigs for steelhead but I have for trout, stimulator or other big hairy hollow fibre bug with a nymph on a dropper... deadly.
Old 05-05-2001, 05:57 PM

You guys should check out the indicators I got while I was in CA fishing the Lower Sacramento. They are yarn but are twice as big as anything I's ever seen and has a stick up through the top that shows when there is drag. Casting them when there wet feels like a wet towel though you need it when you are nymphing in 8-10' of water. Anyway, my advice is throw the rubber band away, you will just lose them anyway. Do a loop through the O ring and back over the indicator.
Old 05-06-2001, 09:53 PM

I'm with Nathan. Throw away the rubber bands and buy a box of round toothpicks. Put the indicator on the line and then put a toothpick through the hole to pin the indicator in place. Then trim the toothpick and you are set with a fully and easily adjustable indicator.

Gregg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.