Tahoe Fly Fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2004, 05:01 PM

Tahoe Fly Fishing

I figured since I was on a roll I would give you the hold what I did for my summer vacation thing. I took a trip to tato and yosmite this summer toward the end of july. Both where great fishing.

Tahoe:
Great fishing. Fished the carson river and sever small streams. most fish where 10-15 inches in the west carson river which is a mid sized stream. I alos caught tons of 8-12 inchers in the smaller streams in the tahoe national forest which where great fun on the two weight. Almost all caddis patterns and small black nymphs. I wanted to fish the trunkee but it was running hight and is really only good in the spring or fall. The best was a day I paided to get on a private section of the walker river. It was awesome. Caught a number of fish in the 18-20 inch range. Aparently they only allow 4 rods a day, 3 days a week there. It was great. it wasn't much more then a creek, and every deep bend had a big fish in it. It was mostly all nymphing but I caught a few on a small grasshoper. It was great. I stayed in S. Tahoe and there where a number of really great flyshops there. Do yourself a favor it you go hit the buffet at harrers. Steak and lobster in it was amazing

Yosmite:
Didn't catch a fish over 10 inches but it was great. It was one of the most beutiful places I have ever been. I stayed in the wawona area and fished the river behide our cabin, I forget the name of it. It was great 7-10 inchers all on dries, at least a dozen fish an hour. A e/c cutter caddis in olive killed them. The water was so clear there I could't believe it. There was this one little section where then river went from 20ft wide and 1 foot deep to about 8 foot deep and 10 foot wide for about 20 yards I would foat a dry throught there and watch the fish swim up from the bottom and take the dry. Once and awhile two fish would go for it at the same time. I would watch them race for it. really cool. I also fished the river that runs throught yosemite valley, I caught a14 incher out of there but the rest where under 10 inches. It was hard going though. It was more a series of water falls and pools then a river but it was really great, tons a yellow stoneflies size 8.

Last edited by NateSmith; 01-23-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2004, 04:00 PM

Pretty area have fly fished it and skied it.

Need to get back there some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.