Ahhh, Maine in June - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Marine Scientist

Ahhh, Maine in June

I'm about as excited as anyone could possibly be; we've just booked a week on the water at Harborside, ME, during the first full week of June. This coincides with the guided trip I got for Christmas on the Kennebec, so the rest of the week (at least as much as Denise will let me ) will be spent in the bay upon which Harborside resides. We have use of a canoe for the local pond, and a Boston Whaler for the bay area. Needless to say, I'm pumped! So now the mad frenzy of fly tying begins.
From what I have read, the herring run is around that time, and large, bulky white flies seem to be the meal ticket for stripers. Any other suggested patterns? I imagine that I'll be spending quite a lot of time with Bob Pop's book open, and will be borrowing some patterns from Striblue. Also, this will give me a great opportunity to fish with a new top secret pattern that I've been developing for night fishing.
Any suggestions on patterns will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Fly chucker

Don't forget your groceries!

Chris, I grew up in Maine and have done a great deal of fishing up there. If I remember only one thing about striper patterns at that time of year, it's that grocery patterns in herring colors are dynamite in and around the rivers. These would fall into the large and bulky patterns that you've referred to. I'm sure that some slammers like those recently posted by Slinger in the archive wouldn't hurt either.

Please let us know how you do when the time comes.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
The Kennebec is a blast in June. There is usually a good eel hatch so the deep eel, sparcely dressed is good. The bait large, the alewifes are running and the big fish may be keyed in on the big bait so bring a good selection of large herring flies, deceivers, clousers and eels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.