Hi all. I'm new to this forum and new to flyfishing. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2001, 07:59 PM
Recent Member

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and new to flyfishing.

Just wanted to introduce myself, Imhooked!

A friend of mine got me into flyfishing just at the end of last summer. I've been hooked since. I still love to spin and worm and crank, but there is nothing like flyfishing. It is so much more satisfying and fun to hook into a nice sized smallie with a fly rod than with my other rods. Actually, it's better no matter what I'm fishing for. Whoever thought you can catch Largies with a flyrod. Oh this is awesome.

I'm am really new to this and know I have a lifetime of learning to do. I wished I started a lot earlier. But I know this board is a great way to try to catch up.

BTW, are there any good on-line stores to buy flies? What are the most reasonably priced places to buy from? I would love to start tying myself but I've got a long way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2001, 08:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Welcome! I agree, bronzebacks on the flyrod are something else. I hope to get the the NH lakes region this spring to take advantage of that incredible fishery.

As far as flies, there are a couple members who tie and sell flies and our sponsors carry a large selection. What patterns are you looking for?

And tying instead of buying... I have to tell you about one member who goes by the name 'striblue'... John Morin. He was saying the same thing as you last year and then suddenly >whirrrrrr< snip! >whip< BANG! 100 dozen flies later he is putting most of us to shame ;-)

The only advice I would give in that department is don't wait, the sooner the better! We'll help you out.
Old 04-29-2001, 09:19 PM
President of CAC

Imhooked, Juro is right... you should start tying as soon as you can... I fished with all th methods but started with trout flyfishing years ago.. I have been saltwater fly fishing for about 8 or 9 years.. I think ...and only started tying last november. I wished I had started alot earlier. Once you start flyfishing you will stick with it since perfecting your cast is like trying to hit the 275 yard drive down the center of the fairway each time... I lifetime of practice and you will improve in that catagory whether you catch fish or not on any given day. Two years ago I hooked a 45 inch striper, at 29 pounds and had it mounted. 20 pound test tippet on a 10 wt. fly rod... now that was fun. Welcome to the crew and if you search back on these treads you will also get some great information as well... For a modest investment you can get a starter kit for fly tying and saltwater tying is easier and a great way to start since you don't need to master the small delicate work right away that you need to do with the trout. Believe me if you think flyfishing hooks you wait till you start tying flies. Watch for my "crab apple" .A crab fly that I think is unique. I will post it as soon as I get a scanner and figure out how to use it. Also, look for Lefty Kreh's and Lou Taboury's books on saltwater flyfishing.. They arean excellent way to learn .
Old 04-29-2001, 10:29 PM

Hi,Welcome to the addiction that we call fly fishing.

If your new to fly fishing my humble opinion is that you should not buy flies on line. I have several reasons for this. The most important reason is that you should get to know the people working in a shop. Purchase a couple of flies at a time until the shop knows you. The advice they can give you can be priceless. It could be directions on how to fish a fly or being told you'd do better around the corner at low tide than where you are fishing.

Their are other reasons that are not readily apparent. I have bought flies online that if I had seen in person I would not have purchased. Hook quality can be poor, and patterns can be entirely different than you would expect. I have also bought flies online that were every thing I expected, but I much prefer to hold them in my hand before buying.

Tying flies is actually quite simple. For the bass you mentioned I would start with wolly buggers and clouser minnows. Both are easy to tie and take very few materials.
Old 04-29-2001, 11:07 PM
Recent Member

Hey guys,
Thanks so much for your input. I really want to start tying but it seems a bit intimidating at the moment. I live in Missouri so most the flyfishing I do is freshwater. Someday I hope to do some saltwater, at least I'm dreaming. It's not very convenient for me to buy flies at a shop just due to the fact that I live so far from any. The closest shop is about an hour and a half away.

I have only fished large and small mouth, crappie, goggle-eye, perch, brown and rainbow trout. I found that woolie buggers are one of my favorites. But the best fly I've used by far (for everything but trout), is Whitlocks Near-Nuff Crawdad. I'm completely out of these now and have searched high and low to buy some. Oh how I wish I knew how to tie those guys. I've also tried the clauser minnow that you've mentioned. It's been great for the bass.

Is there a great vise that you all can recommend that I won't need to upgrade later. I'm the type that likes to spend the money for quality upfront to avoid the hassles of buying again later.

Thanks again for your input.
Evan
Old 04-30-2001, 09:07 AM

Evan,

Welcome aboard... The question concerning a vice will not be limited to one answer. There are many good ones out there that will meet the criteria you have at this time. A few additional things to think about are hook sizes you are going to be tying with, rotary vs non-rotary functionality, pedestal vs C-clamp. There are more, but that's just a few. That being said, my recommendation is for you to think about what you are going to be tying, and look at as many different brands and their attributes as you can.
Personally, I use a Renzetti and I think they are the best. There are several models, Traveler, Presentation, Master.
As you think of questions, post them here and I'm sure you get answers/opinions from the community on this board.

Greg
Old 04-30-2001, 09:18 AM

For the near-nuff crayfish try LL Bean. Sorry if sounded really down on the online merchants. I'm currently waiting for a rod blank that supposedly was shipped two weeks ago and getting annoyed by the merchants lack of response.

This thread also reminds me that I still haven't tied any crayfish for the coming season.

For the vise, I use a Renzetti Traveler. Im sure that if you search the archives here you'll find several discussions on this topic.
Old 04-30-2001, 09:57 AM
President of CAC

Go with the Renzetti Traveler.
Old 04-30-2001, 10:08 AM
Recent Member

This seems like a good time to make my first post. I live in the Washington D.C./Northern Virginia area relatively close (w/in 1 1/2-2 hours) of some excellent smallie fishing on Virginia's Shenandoah River.

There is a local shop run by relatively renowned flyfishing pharmacist Harry Murray which has a web site www.murraysflyshop.com. Harry has a number of his own designs and recommends Clouser and Schenk's as well, but oversees the tying of most of these smallie patterns by local high school/junior college kids. Quality is top notch and if you are running out of "near nuff's" I am sure he would fill an e-mail order as well.

By the way if anyone is ever down this way I would be happy to help put together a trip to the Shenandoah National Forest for wild brookies in the morning and smallmouth in the afternoon/evening. I was out with my five year old this weekend (letting him catch some stocked 'bows) when we took a hike into a section of the state forest I had never been into. I found a stream I could almost stretch across without jumping and caught 35 small brookies (5-9 inches) in about two hours of fishing.

Tight Lines to all
Old 04-30-2001, 11:25 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Welcome Bill! I've watched many a program on the Shenandoah's smallie fishing and hope to indulge myself there someday. The wild brookies are music to the ears in these hard times for our indigenous species across the country.

Your report reminds me of a small trib of Lake Sunapee I used to fish as a kid. It was not only a native brookie haven but also determined to be visited by the rare Sunapee goldens during spawning. Now closed to fishing thanfully but there's something magic about those beautiful little habitats where brookies thrive.
Old 04-30-2001, 05:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
welcome I'mhooked and Bill. bass are great to start tying for as is saltwater, large hooks, and you don't need fine detail. you can probably ask at your local shop and they will tell you you only need 3 ro 4 bucktails to get going, because you'll be tying clousers and other hairwings. Tom D
Old 05-01-2001, 09:43 PM
Recent Member

Well, I think I'd like to pcik up the Renzetti traveler. Did a little research online and have heard nothing but kudos to it. I want to start tying Woolie buggers (all types, colors, sizes), clauser minnows, san juan worms, prince nymphs, hares ears and perhaps the Nearnuff crayfish (even though it seems intimidating to tie).

Does anyone have any suggestions on the cheapest place to buy it at online? I also will need hackles and supplys and such. TIA.

Evan
Old 05-01-2001, 11:27 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Hey Bill,

I'm headed to the Shenandoah Valley this weekend for the Apple Blossom Festival in Winchester. My wife grew up in Winchester, and we both went to James Madison U., so I head down that way every two months or so to visit her parents, and college friends. In fact, her father is a friend of Harry's, and her uncle is Harry's family dentist. They picked me up a large assortment of Harry's flies(actually tied by Harry) for Christmas.

I'd recommend picking up some of Harry's Hellgrammite pattern. We have a friend that fishes the Shenandoah 4 days a week and he swears by them. He tells me that he still prefers to use the live ones, but, I'd rather wrestle an alligator than pick up one of those critters.

I'm down that way regularly enough that I could try and scout things out if a clave were to happen. Fishing info would be fairly easy to accumulate, and lodging would be easy enough, I'm sure. In fact, a limo driver that picked me up at Dulles around Christmas time was a guide now that I think of it. We got to talking and it came out that he guided in Florida for 25+ years. His 2nd wife got a job with the Shenandoah park service so he retired to move with her. He drove the limo to break the monotony and meet people, but he fishes the river every day of the week during the season. I'm sure I could track him down as well. I have his card somewhere. That also reminds me, I owe him a case of beer, oops..........

The upside to a Shenandoah clave is that my wife and son could travel with me, visit with her parents, and leave me free as Whitey Bulger to fish my butt off.

Where in VA are you located? I have relatives in Alexandria, and Fredericksburg(actually Lake of the Woods in Locust Grove) besides my in-laws in Winchester.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:44 AM
Recent Member

OldDoogue-

Sorry, I missed your post. As fortune would have it my wife, three children and I were camping on the Shenandoah from 5/2 through 5/6. We had an incredible trip and the Olive and Black Murray's Hellgrammite's slayed more than there fair share of smallmouth's this weekend. What was exceptionally fun however, was that I took my five weight and caught some fourteen to seventeen inch smallies right around 7:00-7:30 on some size 12 Mr. Rapidan's (Harry's all-purpose dry borrowing considerably on the Wulff style). Catching those smallies on the dry fly on a five weight was incredible, it also allowed for a softer presentation as the water levels are quite low right now on both the South and North Fork of the river.

As to where I am located. I am an estate planning attorney in Fairfax. I am currently building a house in Warrenton which will put me only 45 minutes from the Shenandoah Nat. Park. I am hoping to see some of you MA types this summer. My wife has family on the Vineyard and in Falmouth who we try to spend two weeks with every other summer. Looks like late July to early August are going to be the best bets.

If you are down this way again or want help in setting up a clave feel free to send me a private message at wbozarth@mccandlaw.com.

Tight Lines to all,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.