T&T on the Cape - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2004, 09:14 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
T&T on the Cape

I thought Harry Koons at Nauset Angler in Orleans was a T&T dealer. Did he drop the line?

Simms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2004, 10:15 AM
President of CAC

Jim..he has moved to Temple Fork...but I don't know for sure if he has dropped the line...and another thing..I have e-mailed him and his e-mail is off and his phone is disconnected... so I am a bit concerned on just where he is?????????????????
Old 01-20-2004, 10:28 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Regarding Harry...

I took a ride to Orleans not long ago...Harry was tyin' flyz and getting ready for the Somerset Show (this weekend) where he's sharing a booooth with a phriend...
He's fine, but his phone is off for the winter season...
The message is a bit disconcerting but, all is well. Despite the cold!
I've had a problem reaching him via e-mail as well...I'll ride out again in a week or so and "scold" him about going incognito!

ps
The Temple Fork Titanium is worth a look/demo!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:36 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Harry...

I'll see him at the Somerset Show if I can get there from here given the cold and snow in this age of global warming. I belfieve he has several trips to the Bahamas and Belize scheduled this winter/spring.

Simms
Old 01-20-2004, 02:05 PM

Temple Fork rods are not all that
Old 01-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Jonesin...

Care to elaborate?

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Eddie,

I definitely agree with your past posts that you get what you pay for. However, I am not sure that the new Lefty series rods deserve such a quick dismissal. What characteristics have you found not to your liking? For $200 certainly worth a test cast in my opinion. Much lighter and crisper than their earlier models as well as better components. It costs 1/3 of a Sage Xi2 but not sure it would be fair to say its 1/3 the rod.

Sean
Old 01-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Pencil me in.....

Jury still out

I own seven All Star 6 foot SRH-IM6 spinning rods for Freshwater Bass. Five were purchased ten years ago and were made by All Star on Loomis blanks. The newer ones were made by All Star on blanks from another source to maintain a price point. The newer ones all fatigued after about 120 hours of use and the action significantly changed to super slow. The older ones are still in service.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Marine Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
For economical rods, has anyone tried the Albright series? I was at Eldridge Bros. Fly Shop in Cape Neddick and saw a few of them. Apparently they're the creation of the guy that started Redington. These rods are supposed to be "as good as" the high-end Redington rods, much less expensive, and more resistant to damage from lead-headed flies.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:01 AM
CantAnchorUs

To each his own. I love my TFO`s and plan on adding a TiCr to the list soon.
Slinger
Old 01-21-2004, 11:10 AM

sean, I don't want to piss anyone off, but I cast ticr(?) 10 and 8. The #8 was ok, nothing special but for the price, a little better than sage, reddington, st.croix. etc. I think they are more expensive than $200? Not sure of the exact prices.
The 10 was among the worst rods I have ever cast. I couldn't believe it. Stiff and dull. Tried few lines on it and overlining it just made it feel heavier. Sure it booms out line, but it felt crappy. Any ten weight will boom out line. The guy at the shop said that it was designed to "pump up big fish". Huh? Most fish that you would target on a ten weight don't need to be "pumped up". Dorado..small skipjack? Maybe a 17# little tunny? Maybe not even...but to sacrafice castability for such a special nitch?
I cast a ten weight TFO a few years ago and I was really impressed (I think that one was 170 bucks), but the "new" ticr rods only decent rods at a good price with great hype. Great business model, but not so special.
I am glad that so many people love their TFO rods. We are lucky to have so many choices. Flyfishing gear is less expensive than it has ever been.
Anyone buying a rod has to cast a bunch of rods to find the one that they like.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Jonesin...

Point taken...

Eddie,

I only cast the 8wt myself so I think we are on the same page. I was thinking of overlining it but didn't get a chance. They are $209.95 according to the TFO website. I am not saying that I won't continue to buy what I would consider higher end rods (Sage, Loomis, T&T etc...) just that as price point rods they certainly get the line out there.

Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.