Zebra Line - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2004, 03:59 AM
Recent Member

Zebra Line

While recently watching a fly-fishing prog on TV the presenter was using what looked like a black and white striped floating line. The stripes were approx 2 feet wide. The purpose is, I suppose, to act as a strike indicator. This seems to me, a much better idea than using a "float", but now I think about it, has the same ethical issues which have caused much debate and banning of the "method" over the years.
Has anyone any experience of using this type of line?
What are your thoughts?
Did it make any noticable difference to using a "one colour" line?

Blackneb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2004, 10:41 AM

While I haven't used the zebra lines, for a leader connection I use a whipped loop that is whipped with red thread. I think that it provides a bit of contrast that allows you to see what the line is doing slightly better than without it. It is much more subtle than fishing with a strike indicator.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:19 PM

i mark my lines at the back taper where applicable because;i'm a sundowner,most summer nights i'll finish my day on the water,helps alot,with less than XLT tapers
Old 01-19-2004, 02:00 PM

BLACKNEB--ETHICS

Welcome to the board. It is good to have you with us and we look forward to your comments.

Re ethics, search this board's data base for postings by Riveraddict. He differentiates between an indicator that locates/helps one see where the line is and an indicator that is part of the presentation, a bobber.

The striped line is the former, as it has nothing to do with the presentation of a fly.

You won't have to go to confession if you use a striped line.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2004, 09:38 PM

"Striped" lines

Yeah - Orvis used to offer one. It was their favorite for their casting schools, as it was easy for the teacher (and the student) to see, making errors easy to detect.

I purchased one on "closeout", (black stripes on white line) and used it to train my kids, among others. I just recently donated it to a high-school fly fishing club for training, along with a couple of rods, reels, etc. as it was still in very good shape.

No "ethics" required to use it - anyone worried about the ethics of using a striped line is "out to lunch" and has "too much to worry about" as far as I am concerned.

BobK:hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.