hotrod pontoon - Fly Fishing Forum
Inflatable Watercraft Rafts, pontoon boats, kickboats, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2004, 10:51 AM
just say no to bait

hotrod pontoon

Hello to all
I've been monitoring this board for about 2 years and only now able to participate [ you know...work]. I was given a pontoon boat for christmas and was wondering if there was any setup tricks? Mods to make it perform better or last longer. I thought with all the pontoon boats out there somebody must have come up with something....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2004, 09:04 AM
just say no to bait

Cat got your tongue?
Old 01-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Must've missed your orig post.

I have the Bronco and have made a few mods to it. First off for the single hander I put a section of lightwall PVC cut to accomodate the reel seat as a rod holder, just tie-wrapped it to the frame and it worked like a charm. The two-handers were a little more work to control.

Also put a lanyard with stainless clips on the front d-rings so I could stand up, fish and step downriver with the lanyard resting on my legs.

The platform behind my seat accomodates a 40-something quart cooler, but most often I would just use a roll-top sealine bag and a small padded cooler inside for lunch.

The unit comes with saddle bags on either side of the seat so there was no need to get carried away with additional storage systems.

One thing I always felt I should've had was an extra oar.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:09 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Sorry

I must've missed the post too. Actually, what boat do you have first? That will help out alot. That way can set up modifications. Some have different frame setups, and premade storage. So give us the make/model and we'll go from there.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:38 PM
just say no to bait

Thanks

The above post was meant to be provocative, not cheekie. You're ideas are very helpful,Juro. I was thinkig about PVC rod holders ,but I also need them for 2 handers. I thought about mounting them [i need more than one -2 specifically] behind the seat. The rods would stand up and back kinda like antennas on a car or something.

steelheader69; I was given a Fishcat9dlx by outcast.When I was
assembling it I thought needed closed cell foam strips glued or zip tied to the frame rails, to protect the pontoons. Has anyone had any experience with that? Also , nylon washers on the fasteners to protect the finish.

thanks again N I

P.S. you guys helped immensely with choosing the correct line for a 9140 I picked up cheap last year
Old 01-12-2004, 05:53 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
ok

I had an older fishcat, which would be a fishcat 8 now. Can help you quite a bit.

You really don't need anything to cover washers and frames to protect the pontoons. You can, but for most part your frame should be strapped down tight enough that no rubbing will occur. You can glue chaffe pads to the tubes, that would help the most actually. All you'll need is some waterproof glue (usually found at sporting goods and can be bought from manufacturers like Aire, Sotar, Wing, Skookum, etc) and then buy some protective vinyl to glue to top of tubes. You can also go directly to outcast to see if you can buy a piece of bladder material wide/long enough to cover where the frame will rest and then glue it down there. This is your best defense.

Onto accessories. I actually don't like verticle rod holders UNLESS you don't drift down brushy streams or only plan to fish lakes. Only reason I say this, is that anything sticking above the rower, or outside the length of the boat is susceptible to damge. Only takes a second to have a rod get grabbed and snip a tip in an overhanging tree. Or have a quick hit on rock/limb while maneuvering a chute and have boat miss the object, but your rod tip nail it. I wish I had pics of my old fishcat modified (or my pac model in fact). I did alot of work to make mine fishable. What I'd do, and will see if I have a name for them, is buy rubber rod mounts that can hold 4 rods. The drill right into the frame. It's what I had on my outcasts. What this does is keep the rods on top/near side of frame. I found it's best to take a few seconds to take a rod down (if it doesn't fit inside lengths of your boat) and put in one of these rod holders then to chance ruining a days fishing (and a good rod) by trying to save an extra few seconds to take a rod apart. Now, I'm set with my 16' cataraft. :hehe: Unless I start using one of those 18' Daiwa's that Fred uses, I'll be set. But I would actually take my rods down on my 9' Steelheader. My 14' spey I would only take down the tip section and would be fine. Like I said, rather take a few seconds to take down then to chance snipping tip off.

For storage, there is a cool new bag that Cabela's sells that actually sits on your chair and can toss stuff into it behind your seat. Should still have room for a cooler too. I'll see what I can do about getting pics of that rubber type rod holder. I know a local sporting goods store carries them here in WA (actually, think two do). They worked great for me. Plus, the rods won't move while in them and are protected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.