Sean, we need another 'thread' for "other/view point/whatever. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2004, 08:00 PM

Talking Sean, we need another 'thread' for "other/view point/whatever.

Great stuff from Bob Larsell: aka 'Host (along with Laura, the Hostest with the Mostest) with the Mostest' at the Sandy River Spey 'Claves.

A good read:

"Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"

We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no
Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15 Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite
customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies.
Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies I don't know what they did in French movies.
French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want toshare some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter
had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something.I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old

Sorry to you 'younger guys,' a lot of us 'board members' really are "older than dirt.'

:hehe:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 10:14 PM

Wink

A nice stroll down memory lane. I will save a copy and let my kids read it, maybe showing them that someone else had the same experiences growing up will bring validity to their parents and grandparents recollections of the past.

Thanks Guys

Ian
Old 01-07-2004, 10:47 PM

Talking Ian ....

Roger That!

Sean, time to get your 'nimble fingers' to work.

Hugs to you!
jee/fae/saki and 'the TP' paper stipper....

As Fred (the 'Alpha Dog') would say: Sheesh!

Last edited by fredaevans; 01-07-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:14 PM

Fred,

All too familiar, Fred! Well, if itÕs memory lane time here goes.... One aspect of teen life that will never be as good as it was in 1956-1960 is the street drag racing. The young'uns on this board should rent the movie "American Graffiti" to see an somewhat factual but Hollywood glamorized version of teen life in the 50s.

Cruising the drive-ins. Blocking off remote highways at two ends and running organized races, bikes vs. cars, formerly hot flathead Fords getting eaten for lunch by every '55 and later Chevy V8. Organized sanctioned NHRA drag races at Half Moon Bay Airport just a bit south of San Francisco, which was closed to airplanes on weekends to allow the drag races. Drags and dancing at Fremont drag strip in the east side of S.F Bay. Don GarlitsÑtruly THE man of drag racing, Tommy Ivo in his twin Buick rail, Art Malone, the Glass Slipper, Art Arfon's Green Monster, the only jet powered dragster in history, I think. Stone, Woods and Cook C-Gas Modified, a '33[?] Willys coupe with a blown hemi sticking through the hood. The Fox and Fox Racing team, two kids [named Fox] I went to school with and crewed for, drag racing their modified old street driven Corvette at every SF Bay Area organized race, and every time soundly beating the Courtesy Chevrolet [a San Jose Chevy dealer] factory sponsored new, highly modified, seldom street driven Corvette! The frustration of the factory drivers and mechanics I'll not forget! Brains beat money then.

Oakland was a center of activity. The working guys who had money and the rich kids would drive into the drive-ins [restaurants] TOWING their race car on a trailer! It will take a bottle of single malt for me to tell these stories!

Regular gas in 1966 was 94 octane, according to my 1966 Ford Fairlane's handbood. Premium was 100+ octane, and was unleaded [way back then] at AMOCO [Standard Oil of Indiana gas stations]. In the late 1950s gasoline was 19.9 cents per gallon at the discount stations--an absolute fact. There was Mad Man Muntz, a real person, who owned used car lots and manufactured Muntz televisions. How could any country in the world keep up economically with the US's market driven economic system in which a guy called Mad Man Muntz could manufacture telelvisons and sell used cars?

An innocent time when the local police would stop your car for, what else, speeding or drag racing, and sentence the driver to washing police cars for the weekend.

I'll never forget San Jose, California, in 1957-58, a smaller city in an agricultural and residential housing area, later to become silicon valley. San Jose was modern, for the sticks, having two one-way streets. First Street, 3 driving lanes wide with 2 lanes of parking headed south, while Second Street, of identical dimensions headed north.

Every San Francisco Bay Area teenager that owned or borrowed or had a friend with a car came to San Jose to drag race, after doing homework [honest!]. Three abreast at the red light; light goes green--screech off they go; the next 3 cars pull up to the green light and stop[!], somebody in the center car counts "ONE, TWO, THREE..." screech, to be repeated until the light turned red. One wouldn't break the law by going through a red light! At the end of First Street, every car hung a left to Second Street and repeated the drill, heading north.

The San Jose police in their cars could not stop the racing because the streets were clogged with cars. So the police got smart, and went to motorcycles--but did no better. Finally a light bulb went off in city hall, the cops were put on foot; they walked up to cars stuck in the traffic, wrote tickets and the game was over.

It was an interesting time; there were essentially no crashes and no injuries, I believe because the cars were not yet hugely powerful. But that did not last long. In 1958 Chevrolet and Pontiac offered engines with three two-barrel carburetors and/or two four-barrel carburetors. In 1960 one could purchase a standard Ford car that went 102 miles/hour in the quarter mile. Cost less than $3000. Today $400,000+ Euro specials accelerate no more quickly...and donÕt sound worth diddly!

Which brings me to the reason I participate on this board. Because a steelheadÕs wanton grab for a swung fly gives me a rush like few things do or did. A rush as good as a teen age drag race victoryÑor loss. Hell, I think the steelhead is better. I would not trade today for then.

Forty years from now the youngÕuns on this board, by then grizzled old-timers, will tell newbies about the old days. The newbies in 2040 will be casting rods with imbedded microprocessors adjusting flex characteristics for each casting situation, which the rod self-determines by its built in GPS and Forward Looking Laser Surveying Sensor System [The FLLSSS will be a $75,000 option on ordinary run of the mill microprocessor controlled Spey rods selling for $125,000], its load computer knowing weight, length and coefficient of drag of line and fly; reels with torque sensors continuously changing drag settings against a fighting fish, according to an algorithm derived from recently discovered archival records of a long-ago renowned steel guide knows as Riveraddict.

And the then grizzled guys will tell the kids, it just isnÕt like it used to be.

Last edited by Bob Pauli; 01-07-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:51 PM

Talking Bob, far too many of us ..

can 'relate.'
Old 01-08-2004, 11:23 AM

you're all rite Bob Pauli

are you sure ya' don't want a 67 GTO,i need money for developement work,those microprossesors get spendy;;;but you're on the money,wouldn't trade back,it's funny the love for cars,they suck now,plus no room to let em' run anyway,gasoline that's pretty nasty smelling stuff,not sweet,heck ,used to wash parts in the stuff,now it's to nasty to even get on a rag,,,,,,,anyway ,let's stretch a line sometime
Old 01-08-2004, 11:41 AM
LBFF Mojo

I had to put my ipod on pause , stop recording a show on my tivo, turn off my robotic vaccuum, and shake my head.

Via 2004

-sean
Old 01-08-2004, 12:01 PM

Some things are better today. Would anyone say they'd rather use a slide rule than a calculator, or a manual typewriter over a word processor. And lets not forget DDT, rivers that caught fire or ran different colors depending on what day of the week it was.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:39 PM

indeed

but, at least i could read lettering on a rod without glasses,the River Rogue is still afire,that's why i have to whip it to a frothy foam periodicly
Old 01-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Pullin' Thread

Bob,

In the late 60's (I went to high school from '67-'71) we used to have burn out contests in the school parking lot and those who were dumb enough to burn their tires to the rims got bragging rights for the rest of high school. There was an unfinished section of I-80 a mile out of town in Northeast Pennsylvania where I grew up that made a wonder closed race course. Drag races and 4 mile runs were made on it. The only thing one needed to remember was to shut it down before you got to the end of the section or you would go over a 60 ft bank and into a creek. Needless to say, that would ruin your day.

And we had cars like the 1969 Dodge Charger R/T I bought from a friend when I graduated from college in 1975 or $900.00. complete with headers, close ratio 4 speed, posi rear and 375 BHP with 390 ft lbs of torgue (or so the factory claimed). There a damn few cars made today that would cover ground and accelerate like that made these days. I had to retake my driver's exam 3 times in a year due to speeding tickets I accumulated. The odd thing was that each ticket was gotten for "exceeding the suggested speed" around curves on 2-lane rural roads.

I miss being able to turn a 1/4 mile in 14 seconds or less, and being able to run up to 130 on open rural interstate. Seems like fun getting put back into driving at somewhat affordable prices once again though from many car makers. And the new ones have (or will have when finally produced) have ABS, computer controlled engine ignition and fuel delivery for better mileage while still providing in excess of 130 bph, along with better handling. I can hardly wait for the third generation Chysler Hemi with over 400 bph being put in Daimler-Chrysler Dodge and Chrysler cars.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:46 PM

Flytyer

Sweet memories. I remember those awesome Chargers--fearsome things.

Last edited by Bob Pauli; 01-08-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Pullin' Thread

Bob--

Getting rid of the one I owned is one of the few things I've regretted doing.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:15 PM

not me!

i'm selling cars i've had for centuries,,the only place i'm truly free is ;;;free drifting my river Rogue,,,,,don't need or want em' waitin' for me,my hotrod is an old suburban,huge cadilac motored monster,she loves me,more than,,,,well,the ol' gal's been in the family toooo long,,diapers,,ah yes diapers,now it's pads,,pads for everyone,,,i have a late model cadilac deville ,,,why,,,you can't put a three piece fifteen ft rod in the trunk,,,so ,,what is the world coming to,,sorry folks the car game is BAD,,when's the last time you spent money at a shop and didn't feel you got ripped,well i can tell you from the other side of the counter,it's a very tough game,i've grown old in it,,,and short tempered,take it and run with it honey,,but 25 years as a pro,never once did a customer EVER give me a christmas gift,very few thank you's,so, wanna go stick some steel,,you'll be lovin life,not pissin' an' moanin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,about a CAR,,,,
Old 01-09-2004, 09:51 PM

Talking 1960-61 notebook

An hour ago my wife found a notebook documenting costs of building up a Chevy V8 engine. Some highlights:
- Used 1957 Chevy 283 V8 engine, less distributor and carburetor.....$104.00
- Purchase used intake manifold for three 2-barrel carburetors, including two carburetors and linkage.....$75.00
- Used 2-barrel carburetor for above manifold..$19.00
- Set of new Corvette heads....$70.00
- New Isky [Iskendarian] "5-Cycle" roller camshaft and kit ....$81.00
- Sleeve and bore the 283 engine cylinders to 4" ....$36.00
- New set of 4-inch Mahle pistons and rings ....$78.00
- New Oil pump ....$7.78
- New Rocker arms ....$6.25
- New Valve covers...$10.00
- B&M Hydro [a rebuilt racing auto tranny]...no cost recorded, I est. Å$200.00.
- 4.56 posi rear end....cost unknown
Put this puppy in a 55 Chev 2-door coupe purchased for $500. Clocked at Half Moon Bay drag strip 100 mph in high 13 seconds. Car had horrible splotchy green paint; I had no green for new paint--car became known as "The Green Latrine." The GL broke the heart of every Corvette driver in the San Jose area and one fool in a gull-wing Mercedes trying to impress his girl.

DOES ANYONE HAVE 1960s [or other decade] DATA ON THE COST OF high- and low-end rods, reels, lines, waders? What was the price of guided fishing in the Oregon, Washington and BC rivers? Cost of a week in a BC lodge?

What is the earliest year anyone remembers seeing a Spey rod on a steelhead river in the PNW?

What did locally assembled Spey lines sell for in the PNW prior to Rio introducing manufactured lines?
Old 01-09-2004, 09:52 PM

i do know one thing

and i don't admit to knowing much;flyfishing,and two handed flyfishing is my,run whatcha brung,outlaw street racing,heck i'm way to old to risk missing the dynamic action happening at the river,i made the comment to my wife once,;i don't see any `old' guys down at the river,i wondered why,since the area is loaded with retired folks,she said;you're the `old guy',well ,so be it,after living a life of wheels ,i like it on the water,didn't know one duck from another,,know i know em' all by name!,,took thirty years for me to figure out what my father knew all along,being ,`in the brush' was what 's important,soi'll shutup,,,,,,,unless ya' wanna hear about the 120 mile an hour passes we made thru shady cove on the upper Rogue,drunker'n hoot owls in 1970 in a 69 super bee,where ARE YOUR children

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.