Danbury Show Sunday - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Danbury Show Sunday

Been busy so this is the first chance I have had to post something about Sundays show. I called Juro at about 11:00 am. to tell him I was on my way and make sure he was going to still be there, well sure enough he was, I knew he wouldn't be able to leave early . I met him outside the hall while he was doing some two-handed casting. We casted for awhile outside in the spitting rain and talked about the rods and fishing. Got to be a bit cold so we headed inside. I hung around Juro's booth for awhile then decided to mosey around a bit. As I am walking the aisles low and behold right there in front of my eyes is the one and only LEFTY KREH, now I am not one to get all gooey and gushy over someone but this is one man I have wanted to meet and speak to for a long time. I know alot of you have had the pleasure of talking to Lefty but I have not and this was an absolute treat for me. He was at the TFO booth sitting and talking with show goers and I patiently waited my turn. I introduced myself (as if he is going to know who the hell I am ) and told him how much i respected and admired him and his accomplishments in Flyfishing. I have to tell you this is one of the nicest most humble people I have ever met, he made me feel like we had been friends our whole life, very refreshing in this ME world we live in. He and I and another gentleman from New Zealand I think sat and talked for at least 2.5 hours. He told stories like we were reading a book and I am sure he could have gone on and on. Well not to sound like a stupid little kid but he made my whole day and maybe my whole month...........Thank you Lefty!!! Watching him during his casting presentation was awesome, he is the Barishnikov of flycasting, he never once used two hands to cast the rod and was effortlessly smoothing line right to the end of the pool. Now I can do the same thing but I will never look as good as he does nor will I be as effortless. I learned some real important points while listening to him and these will remain with me forever. Man what a schedule this man keeps....and at the age of 79 he looks much younger than his age.

Juro it was a blast to see you again and casting that rod was also a hoot, I think you will have alot of success with them in the near future as they become more mainstream my feeling is they will take off like wild fire. They truly are the holy grail for the shore bound flyfisher. Well that's it for now, hope to see you all at Marlboro and if not we only have a couple months to go..................COME ON SPRING!!!!!!

Mike M.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 10:40 AM

Not over

Mike..

Next warm spell we get you are cordially invited to have a 40+ fish day out by my house. Hopefully my boat will be finished being worked on by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2004, 03:11 PM

Mike,
See my reply on your post concerning a certain over weight lady. I am dying over hear reading your story:eyecrazy:

Mike M.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Good seeing you Mike, it was a fun show. Very friendly atmosphere at that venue.

Anyway, too bad you didn't hit it off with Lefty - I noticed you had a little scribbling on the underside of that spiffy hat someone gave you Now it's worth something!

I liked casting his single-handers, easy to punch it over the back wall with that signature rod you brought out.

The handle was a little short beneath the reel though
Old 01-08-2004, 03:39 PM

Juro,
I will always have Lefty fishing with me now:hehe: . I got his sig only because I really have alot of admiration for him and respect him for what he has done in the sport. Yes they are not two-handers Juro but for $99.95 how can you go wrong :eyecrazy: . If I had an extra $100 I would have bought that 10 wt. in a minute. Watching him cast was by far the most enjoyable thing I have ever watched at any of the shows, he is such a master of both casting and presentation, I was truly awe inspired by his fluidness an ease of motion casting. Man would I love to spend a day fishing with him, just the stories alone would be worth it.

Mike M.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

Couldn't agree more Mike, he's a living legend and a credit to our kind.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Flats Rat

Mike, sorry I missed you, I stopped by on Saturday.

The Danbury show is becoming a "special" in its own right. I think this is their third season and Lefty has been in attendance at every one! Its small compared to the later shows but its the first one of the year (I think) and everyone is relaxed and happy to be focused on the season to come.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.