2 For the Critics - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 03:06 PM

Steelheader69

I understand completely. Yesterday I spent about three straight hours doing a body on a fly only to cut it off and start over! [8^(

You will find that as with most things, there is a learning curve. Pay attention to every little thing you are doing, twist of the wrist, tension on the thread, angle that you hold a material and, so on. When something doesn't work, analyze why and don't do that again. Then. try something just a little different and see what happens. One day, all of a sudden, you will tie a fly without the problems you mentioned and you will be stunned. You'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

I think it is these little challenges more than anything else that makes tying fully dressed flies so personally rewarding for Tyers. Yeah, the often times outlandish beauty of the finished fly is cool too.

Happy Trails!
Ronn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Chief of E.P.

It is evident that I don't have the skill nor the interest to passionately debate minutia but more power to those of you that do.

I will say though that before anyone starts questioning Flytyer's honesty regarding his scanner comments, I would do a search through the archives as he has complained for sometime that his scanner changes certain colors. Other than that all I can add to this is that he dresses a nice fly and fishes them rather than leaving them for display only.

Here are the Glasso patterns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glasso samll.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2673  
Old 01-04-2004, 03:48 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Yeah Ronn

I agree, just takes practice and patience and then they'll click. Found I could dress speys faster then the atlantics. I'm not a perfect dresser of the flank wings, but once I got my niche down, they became easier. I prefer the hackle tips anyways, but like to do the flank. Just haven't found that groove yet with the Atlantics, but I keep trying. I haven't thought about studying it as I went. Alot of times I went more by material prep then how I lay the thread, etc. Hmmmmm, may have to sit and watch. Still waiting on the "click" fly. :hehe:

Onto scanners. I think it depends on the scanner. I know that I've used a few scanners. The one I have now isn't bad, but can at times bleach out a color. But think it's the materials being used and how much the bright scanner lights reflect off said materials. I know some of my more "duller" flies come out looking better then some of my brighter floss bodied ones. Especially if I'm tying with flourescent materials. Really bleeds color out. I tied up my own rendition of a polar shrimp marabou spey and the scanned version doesn't come close to showing the colors of reallife. Ok, I DON'T want critiques on this fly. lol. Just showing what mine looks like after being scanned. The orange marabou is actually is the same color as the floss body. The floss body came out darker and the marabou came out lighter. Just an example of how my scanner can bleed out certain colors. In fact, the red thread head is actually a lighter red. Go figure.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:06 PM

I'm SORRY, BUT SOMEONE HAS TO PASS THE BAD NEWS.

All these fly's are questionable. Send me two of each so I can give you my 'unqualified opinion.'

All above is rhetoric .... I, being very knowledgeable - not mention a Wonderful Person - will pass judgement. No, make that THREE samples. I will show each to "Bella," her reaction RULES!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:44 PM
removed_by_request

You can send the Glasso flies my way along with a good cigar and a wee bit of brown nectar.

Nice ties every one, makes mine look like a parakeet on a stick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.