Anyone fished Labrador? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2003, 02:41 AM
Recent Member

Anyone fished Labrador?

A buddy and I have talked for years about traveling to Labrador for those monster brookies. Anyone have any recommendations for lodges, outfitters, etc?

Thanks, Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2003, 05:44 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

When I worked part time at a local flyshop, guys would come in fairly regularly to gear up for that trip north. One of them is Tod Dillon, a member on the site and oh the tales he would tell!

Put it this way, he'd pick up big patches of fur for mousee flies with a big grin. Maybe he'll chime in.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Here fishy fishy

I was just thinking, "boy, I haven't posted in quite some time..." and, voila, Labrador pops up...

My dad-in-law and I spent a week in July '99 at Awesome Lake Lodge in Labrador. Terrific time. I'd be happy to share experiences and research we did. Drop me a PM or email and I'll pass along what I know.

Short story: we chose Awesome Lake as it seemed the best value for a relatively-short buck. Len Rich ran the camp; class act & a fantastic fisherman. Camp was spartan, but very comfortable. I believe Ken went into a partnership recently w/ another lodge owner and they've pumped a lot of $$$ into the accomodations.

Believe Bill Tapply (sp?) just did a short article on Awesome Lake in the latest issue of American Angler.

Juro's not kidding about big 'ol furry flies. Our most effective "dry" fly all week was a small mouse fly I'd tied up. Brookies would create wakes charging after it. Lots of luck w/ golden stones, leeches w/ zonker strip tails, and a wool-headed sculpins.

Did a lot of research on a number of the other camps: Wood River, Osprey Lake, Cooper's. Lots of options, lots of great fishing. We're thinking about a return trip sometime in the next 1-2 years (leaning towards Osprey), so I'd be happy to swap stories.

There's something to be said for reeling in a nice 2.5-3 lb brookie w/ two others the same size nipping at the fly in its mouth, when all of a sudden out of the depths comes one that is at least double their size - and he tries to devour the hooked fish. 1st time I saw it, my dad-in-law didn't believe me... until he witnessed it himself. Beautiful country, fantastic memories. And relatively short money from the east coast of the US.

Tod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.