Striper fishing in Salem, MA - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2003, 01:25 AM
Recent Member

Lightbulb Striper fishing in Salem, MA

Howdy all!

I was just reading some info on the CND spey rods and I came across some pics of some really nice stripers. I know it is a little late in the season but I can't hold this spot in any longer. Email me for me detailed information on where the fish are at this site. But believe me when you get there, you will know.

This place would be perfect for the new CND Atlantis 1111 two hander is anyone has one, hell for that fact even a regular spey rod would work.

If there is anyone in Massachusetts, this place I found with the help of a local friend and guide there in Salem, who can get to this place to fish I reccomend it next year, or even now.

It is right at the Salem/Beverly Route 1A bridge and you need to be on the Beverly side. You need to park at the seafood grocery store, I don't remember the name. However, when you park, you'll need to hop over a little gaurd rail and head down to where the train tracks are and catch fish! Please be careful as there are mussell beds and some of them will take you to your waist!

I liked getting there around 2 1/2 to 4 hours max before low tide to fish. This is a great spot and I highly reccomend it to any and all that can get there. The last time I fished there was in '02 and there was never anyone there. I fished it every late outgoing tide which means I was there at least 2 1/2 weeks out of the month. I started fishing there in mid to late September and the action gets progressive from there. Just me and my fly rod and on average 25-35 stripers averaging schoolies to the mid 30's and a few 40+. For more info on some other sites please feel free to email and ask.

I am now in the greatest part of the U.S. in the Great Northwest. The salmon and steelhead are right up there when it comes to the stripers but nothing compares to a good hammering on a half & half clouser by a striper on a feeding frenzy.

I lived in Massachusetts for 7 long years with the most evil and vile women I have ever met, so believe me when I say I fished alot!

tight lines,
speycastordie!

Last edited by speycastordie; 12-18-2003 at 01:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Fluff

Question: From the tenor of your post regarding the Goat Hill channel abutment and on into the Bass and Danvers Rivers, I'm curious - what other 'board 'handles' or "screen names" did you, or could you have used as a local resident, and on which webboards???
Old 12-18-2003, 03:14 PM

I second the Mass. women comment. Any chance the area can be fished with a conventional long rod?
Old 12-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Recent Member

Thumbs up salem fish...

Dave, sure can. I would imagine there would be a better chance of hooking a "reel" monster too. The whole area can be fished easily with a fly rod or a conventional rod. There are lobsters and crabs that hang int he general area as well. One thing, when the menhaden some other forage fish are in, feeding on the surface is some really hot action!

Tight lines,
speycastordie
Old 12-18-2003, 05:42 PM

Great Spot

The goat hill channel is a great spot to fish on any outgoing tide. More than two hours on the incoming and it can become dangerous quickly. Not much room to cast once the tide starts in. A little further up and there is more room.
If you need a schoolie fix it is the best chance to hookup. If you want bigger fish try the Salem side of the bridge behind O'Buster Jr. The rocks there have a lot of fish pass by on the incoming tide.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:33 PM

Beverly side of 1A Bridge.

Was that Rowan's Fish Market? How'd you get down to the water? There's steel pilings and such along there from waht I've been able to see. I've come at it the other way via Bass River, but your window of time is pretty limited walking out that way. The other side is great for plugging! Prabably the Beverly side would be too.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:32 PM

access point

It is a steep climb down the bank next to the chainlink fence. That point is tricky because of all the weeds that overgrow it in the summer. Also loose gravel make it tough as well. Be nice if the city would put in a path of some sort to access that point. Not likely, but I can dream. Incidentally, easy to anchor a canoe or row boat there especially after eight in the evening on an incoming without the wind and boats. Outgoing works too.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:05 PM

Are you climbing down near Rowan's boat dock between the new bridge and the railroad bridge? There is a right of way over on the Bass River side of Goat Hill, but it's a bit of a hike around to the Danvers River flow, climbing over/aroung a dock or two. I'm going to have to go over there tomorrow or Sunday and poke around a bit now that the weeds have died.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Fluff

Sounds like he's going over those 'goat' paths on the inside of the hill, near the fence.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:28 PM

definitely a goat path!

Yes, over the edge is the quickest to fish near the bridge. It is only thirty feet, still be careful. The mackeral also show up there on occasion too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.