Board member's experiences/recommendations on GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2001, 06:20 PM
Here fishy fishy

Board member's experiences/recommendations on GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe

While fully acknowledging that this post has absolutely nothing directly to do with flyfishing, I'm looking for anyone who may be a current (or former) GMC Yukon or Chevy Tahoe owner. We're in the market for a new truck & I figure among this virtual community there may be someone who has some words of wisdom re either of these vehicles.

Any and all insight would be most welcome - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks very much in advance.

Tod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2001, 07:23 PM

RE:Board member's experiences/recommendations on GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe

Tod,

I have it's big brother a 1995 GMC Suburban which I bought brand new. I would buy another but don't have to because this one still runs great.

A friend bought one and had nothing but problems. The only difference was mine was built in Jainesville WI. His was built in Mexico. He traded his in and got the US version minus the problems.
Old 03-18-2001, 10:25 PM

On my second Tahoe after trading up from an S10 Blazer in 1997. I use my truck a LOT, +40k per year average. Two kids, boat & trailer, FF gear in the back, kayak on the roof. I think it's the perfect vehicle layout for a family of four and those of us that need space.

plusses:
space, space, space I built a storage box for the back of mine that holds waders, tackle, trailering safety kit, jack, battery jumper etc.... I made an internal rod rack to hold the flyrods up in the headliner so they are never outside, a 9'-6" two piece fits up there fine. Makes for a quick transition when it's time to fish.
safety When you drive a lot, it's nice to have a fair amount of steel around you. Field of vision is excellent, height helps. The Yukon/Tahoe seems to be less top-heavy than the Blazer/Montero size SUV
size I think the Tahoe is just at the practical length threshold for urban use. I have to park mine intown alot, it it was the Suburban I'd have fewer options. Very good size vehicle to trailer with.
reliable No complaints(touch wood!)
Disadvantadges:
When things do need repair/maint it's expensive
Fuel costs at 16 - 17mpg
Initial cost ( If you are considering a POV, try Tucks Trucks in Marlboro/Hudson ) they specialize in trucks and often have low-milage Yukons & Tahoes )

If you do get one, look at the front tires for excessive wear on the outside edges of the treads on the front wheels. I found that the factory specs for tire pressures are too low for even tire wear, running at 39 - 40# will improve handling and wear.

Also you absolutly want to get the heated rear-view mirror option. Works with the rear-window defroster and does a great job of keeping them clear in the winter. If they have added an option for perimeter heat on the windshield then I'd consider that too.
Old 03-18-2001, 10:33 PM

Todd -

Have a 2000 Chev. Tahoe. Only had it for 7 months. Luv it! Tow with it, and basicly use it like Bob Pink does. Only I wear a pink feathered hat.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:09 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick

Tod,
Not too sure if you are looking at anything smaller...but I just bought a Ford Escape and I love it! Not nearly as big as the topic's cars but inside it has tons of room for passengers. It lacks cargo room, but with the back seat down, it holds two mountain bikes. I plan on throwing my Kayak on it and it has the potential to two 3500 pounds if needed. The V6 engine is gutsy and its mileage is better than the competition at around 20 mpg. You are looking at non Ford products...so this may be a problem, but it is worth a look if you don't need all that cargo room.
Nick
Old 03-19-2001, 07:59 PM
Here fishy fishy

Thanks everyone for the posts. Insights & comments are most appreciated.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:45 PM

I have 1998 Tahoe with over 60,000 miles on it, no problems save for the regular lube jobs which I get done religiously, every 3500 miles. Still get about 16-17 mpg in the city (75%of my driving), and about 20-21 mpg on highways. I have the full towing upgrade and the heavy duty oil and tranny cooler as well as a 4X4 option which is very usefull when I am chasing for deer at 50 MPH in a farmer's field. The ride is excellent. Others have covered the important pros & cons in their post. Get one with all the options you can afford, specially the 4X4, the resale value is significantly better than one with only the plain jane stuff, by about 30%. The Tahoe & Yukon are identical vehicles in every respect, except price becasue GM has learned that the market will support a higher price for the GM Vs Chev branding. I only buy Tahoe's for the fleet vehicles for my company, primarily becasue of the maintenanvce and fuel profiles Vs. say a Ford or Chrysler equivalent/competitor model as reported by various fleet management information circulars.
Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.