low light sunglasses - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2003, 02:19 AM
any fish, any time

low light sunglasses

Once upon a time I had a pair of Action Optics sunglasses with "First Hour Brown" lenses. These were awesome for fishing in low light conditions. I've lost them, and they are no longer made. I have a pair of Maui Jims (rose lens) that I use in summer - fantastic - but not transmissive enough for low light winter conditions.

Can someone point me to a quality pair of polarized glasses that are especially made for low light conditions?
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2003, 08:00 AM

I think you want yellow lenses for this. Only problem is you'll need to carry another pair for when the sun comes up or you'll be blinded.

I have a pair of the old Action Optics first hour lenses and they are terrific.

BTW - I think A/O gives a pretty good description of which lenses are for which situations on their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2003, 09:02 AM
CND The Spey Underground

I had a pair of Action Optics Photochromatics for 15 years - they were awesome. While they didn't "fade" to to light yellow in the morning they did lighten up tremendously in the low-light situations. They finally bit the dust this past year and I will replace them with another pair.

Still Living Large!
Old 12-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I had the pleasure of talking to Action Optics when we signed them up as sponsors. I called because I like their awesome products (we carried them at the flyshop I moonlighted at) and quickly found their expertise and willingness to explain things very impressive.

In fact don't be surprised if you end up talking to the president of the company - he's among the most knowledgable optics guys I've ever talked to and of course he's an avid angler. We've been meaning to interview him for a Forum article to shed some light on the whole lens color discussion for us.

Check out the site... and definitely contact them, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.actionoptics.com
Old 12-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Mr. Mom

Re: low light sunglasses

Quote:
Originally posted by loco_alto

Can someone point me to a quality pair of polarized glasses that are especially made for low light conditions?
I've had a pair of Specialized "first light" sunglasses for years. A very slight copper/rose tint to them. Not to be worn through the day as I was told by the shop-boy I got them from that they weren't 100% polarized. I assumed at the time he was just goofy and was trying to say that they didn't block 97-100% percent of UV rays.

Anyway, great early and late glasses. Also Action Optics Photochromatic Amber are good in low light. Not as bad as yellow in bright conditions, but some folks do get headaches in the bright with them.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:46 AM

I loved my "first light" lenses. I now wear yellow in the low light conditions. Yellow is awsome! They (AA) have a photo chrom lense that is close to the "first light" shade/color.
I lioked the first light lense, because you could wear them all day if need be. Check out that new (a few years old) lense. I forget what it was called.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:14 AM

I use a pair of Action Optics freshwater amber polarized lens and these work well for low light conditions. I recommend them and the company for their service. But if you really want the best for first and last light, nothing compares with bright yellow (shooters glasses are excellent for this).

Like BigDave says, you'll want another pair of glasses for normal and bright light conditions. Polarizing is always nice but it isn't mandatory for a pair of glasses for first and last light. There just isn't enough light during these times to cause problems with glare.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:52 AM
any fish, any time

thanks for the input. The photochromic brown might do the trick, though more expensive.

Eddie - if you read this, please check you PM
Old 12-24-2003, 03:21 PM

I gave up on photochromics

I gave up on photochromics 7 or 8 years ago, because they do not darken while inside a car. Perhaps technology has changed.

Some other thoughts on glasses,
I don't like to go mail order for my [prescription] glasses because I want local service of a special kind. For example I want my lenses ground to the exact value specified by the eye doc's prescription. Results "within tolerances" are not accepted, and so stated on my order to the grinding lab. My provider checks each lens when returned by the lab. One time my lenses were returned three times to a lab, until the job was done correctly.

To get perfect all day glasses, good for early morning and late in the day, and supplied by a local company I learned that Polaroid lenses were available with 50% transmissivity [was I the last person on the planet to learn this?]. Normal dark glasses are 5-10% transmissivity.

The 50% lenses allow vision for early and late fishing and reduce midday light enough for comfortable fishing in northern Calif. to Alaska. They are also good for driving.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:34 PM

Talking was I the last person on the planet to learn this?].

No you were 'second to last!' I've got perscription pol's that go from fairly dark, to hand him a white cane with that. All are too dark for early/late fishing. Will have to check with my 'Dr. Guy' on this type of lens.

Actually, what I'd pay dearly for (and probably would!) are clip on's that fit my regular glass' rather than another complete set of eye ware.
fae
Old 12-24-2003, 03:58 PM
any fish, any time

last night, in my 10th sweep of the house to locate my glasses, my wife had the sense to suggest that I look in the drifboat from the last trip I took with her father (that was Sept).

sure nuff, they were in there. problem solved!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Pencil me in.....

Stick to the Maui Jims. They must have something in low light lenses. By far the best!
Old 12-24-2003, 10:07 PM
any fish, any time

agreed on the maui jims, and people really do owe it to themselves to try these - fantastic

however, they don't offer a lens that is as transmissive as my first hour brown from action optics (actually, action optics doesn't offer this anymore either!)

thanks to everyone for the advice
Old 12-25-2003, 02:19 AM

First good 'belly laugh' I've had all day.

Quote:
Originally posted by loco_alto
last night, in my 10th sweep of the house to locate my glasses, my wife had the sense to suggest that I look in the drifboat from the last trip I took with her father (that was Sept).

sure nuff, they were in there. problem solved!
Good Go Steve!!

Another proof that what ever your looking for, will be found in the last place you look.

:hehe:
Old 12-25-2003, 09:43 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
After the 5th sweep...

I normally just cave in and give up...
...and buy another (new and improved) of what has gone missing...
Gone "forever"...
Must'a been carried off by trolls or stolen by hostile covert intruders anyway!

Inevitably...The missing item is usually discovered just before UPS arrives with the "replacement"/now backup.
Spares are good and it's my way of stimulating the economy!

When I "go" there's going to be a yard sale of biblical proportion!
Get there EARLY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.