hmmm - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2003, 11:43 AM

hmmm

so,here i sit ever near the river Rogue;home of `dink steelhead',,,but many,,,,,so while reading a local coastal paper online the reporter stated that in del norte county,coastal streams therabouts,,extreem northern Cal. for those not familiar,,,had been cought,,a forty pound??? steelhead,42 inches in lenght,!!!,i thought the cal. state record was 28 on the Smith,,i believe the Ore. state is the Rogue,28,,but the fish is listed as a rainbow,,anyone have a clue about this bullet forty pounder????:eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

42/40?

42" and 40lbs, it would have to be shaped like a Bass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2003, 03:29 PM

Girth?

If we know the girth it is easy to get a good estimate of the weight from one of the formulas. Lets assume a Babine male using the Keelin formula. 40 = (41.75 x girth2)/690. To weigh 40# this steelhead would have to have a girth of 25.7 inches. Low twenties is a much more realistic estimate of a 42 inch fish. Would a reporter exaggerate or get it wrong?!!! Its in print, it has to be correct, doesn't it?

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
LOL

Yeah, would have to see it. I've personally seen 2 30# steelhead taken (I was netboy on one, and these were before native release, so don't shoot me guys lol so were weighed). But most pics I've seen of 30# steelhead are far from what I've seen personally. That's including the adjustment for size and holding position of fish. A 30# steelhead has some odd size looks to them. I've only seen one that was up near 40, and that was a picture of the one the now doctor (was a child then) caught up in Alaska. That was a REALLY big fish. LOL. But I recently saw a 30# steelhead caught in great lakes. Fish looked nowhere near 30, more 20. 10#'s is quite a bit of difference in looks overall. Would be a nice thought, but wonder if it may be a "trout", like a beardslee up here. Which get pretty big (at least the one's we've downriggered out of the OlyPen). Possibly not a steelhead. I've had people show me nice "silvers" they've caught, but looking at coloration and color of gums, told me something otherwise. Yup, could be a mistake. But if it's that big, want to see it for sure.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:28 PM

bullet or bull----

it's in the coastal newspaper,,loacated in brookings-harbor,plus,north to gold beach,,inCURRY COUNTY,yes i read it this morn.so ,it is in print,but when was this animal cought,,,1950???,i've e-mailed this reporter before ,and got no reply,so,,
Old 12-11-2003, 02:11 AM

Out of curiousity...

I wonder Hammer, if the following link points to the article you refer to?

CHINOOK WINDING DOWN WHILE STEELHEAD BEGIN THEIR JOURNEY INTO LOCAL RIVERS

There is mention of a large steelhead towards the bottom of the article.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:49 AM

Hey, Steelheader...

I saw the pic of the self-proclaimed "30 pounder" from the Great Lakes, too. And, like everyone who commented on the fish, I thought it was lucky if it made 20. It also looked like it was diseased, if I remember right.

I think the guy was doing "shameless self-promotion". He was a guide, also if I remember right.

BobK
Old 12-11-2003, 01:37 PM

exactly
Old 12-12-2003, 10:19 AM

from the original post, it sounded like the fish reported might not have been a steelhead, but a rainbow. If it was a giant lake rainbow, the body proportions are much more believable. Could this not be the case?
-tom
Old 12-12-2003, 01:44 PM

follow the rainbow

click plunker's heading,,,,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.