Travel Rod (8wt)? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2001, 09:13 AM

Travel Rod (8wt)?

I will be leaving for Mexico the day after the Wilmington show ends. I am thinking about getting an 8wt travel rod, 4-piece or smaller. As it stands now, I will be taking my 9wt 3-piece, but I think that a smaller 8wt would be better for bonefish, etc. I also think that an 8wt would be useful for spring schoolies too (but who needs to justify another rod?). I will be able to try a lot of rods at the show. Right now, on the top of my list, is the new Redington Wayfarer 5-piece (22"). This rod looks really nice & the price tag of $195 is within my budget.

Any other recommendations to look at & try??

<a href="http://www.redington.com/wayfarer_html.htm" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.redington.com/wayfarer_html.htm</a><!--auto-->
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2001, 09:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Travel Rod (8wt)?

In that price range you should try the SAGE 890-4 as well, and for a bit more the VPS (formerly RPL). I love the 8wt 5pc RPLXi but that's a bit harder to justify! I used to own the RPL 4-pc 9wt and it was cherry.

In that price range I've heard good things about the St.Croix as well but don't have first hand experience with it.

Scott's come out with a new rod in the mid-price range too, worth a query.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:45 PM

Grego,

I'm looking at travel rods too. I read somewhere that a 4pc is the way to go. Small enough to carry on and it breaks down quick into two equal pcs. like a regular rod.

Here's a couple of links. T&T , Scott and St.Croix. T&T being the high end. St.Croix has a couple of travel rods in the $160 -230 ballpark.

I should have included Loomis and Sage too.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/stcroix/index.html

http://www.thomasandthomas.com/

http://www.scottflyrod.com/
Old 03-02-2001, 06:39 PM

That's pretty much what I've been thinking, but hadn't considered T&T.

I also agree that an even number (4 or 6) of pieces makes more sense then an odd (3 or 5), cause you can always make that 50-50 break & throw it across the seat of a car.
Old 03-02-2001, 06:45 PM

&gt;&gt;T&T being the high end&lt;&lt;

Yup, Checked their site, out of the ball park.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:21 PM

I have to recomend the VPS. Unlike most lower price rods, The VPS series has the heart of a thoroughbread. The VPS blank is the same blank as the Sage RPL. This rod was the top of the line 6 years or so ago and it is still a great stick. I don't know how a rod company designs cheapness into a blank, but Sage doesn't. They just replace the top of the line, throw on cheaper components, and call it VPS and then DS. The DS is not so hot, but a good value. The VPS is sweet. The VPS Light shares the same blanks as the much loved and missed Light Line series. It would be cool if they came out with a VPSX (ie.RPLX). Cast em all, and I bet that the VPS will have that certain somthing that you will find in common with the top of the line rods.
Old 03-02-2001, 09:08 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Eddie you're making me miss my old RPL 4pc!

GregO - one theory on the odd pc is that the midsection is always solid (no ferrule)... but all of our two pc rods have a ferrule in the middle! You'd have to cast them side by side to see if the ferrule does introduce a difference. I also have a preference for even pc's for striper rods for breakdown reasons when running from access point to access point (a shore angler's concern).

That being said, I like the compact size of the new 5pc rods for travel purposes. It'll fit inside my rolling carryon bag. All things considered I'd rather have a four pc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.