Fly Fishing Forum banner

Don't laugh......

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  highlander2 
#1 ·
To hard anyways... my first posting of something original, and of course it involves flies that i've been working up. have taken up the spey fly "revolution" in the last 3-4 months, tying for my fishing on the deschutes and john day. also looking to take the whares to the puget sound area.... anyways, wanted to post for inspection and comment.... please be kind.... :p

one is still working on the name, once i get some "review", i'll hand out recipes if desired....

First fly - yet to be named
second - Skykomish Sunrise variation
Third - Kaufman's Signal Light Spey interpretation

Thanks for any and all comments!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't sell yourself short, those are some pretty good ties! I like those hackle tip wings a lot. They find their way into a lot of my flies too.

One tip: With the GP crests, the tips of the tail and topping should meet, nicely "framing" the wing. Also, try and find a crest for the tail that closely mimics the bend of the hook, so that a mirror affect is achieved.

Again, beauty flies. Keep at it

Matt

#7 ·
These are nicely done flies, so I echo what others have said about not selling yourself short. The only problem that I see is the wings are a bit too long and a bit too high. A spey wing should end barely beyond the body/tag of the fly and it should pretty much hug the body. Once you shorten up the wing, the G.P. topping will also be shortened and it will then meet the end of the tail, thus framing the wing. Once the wing is lowered (do this by bending the hackle stems with your thumb nail by nicking the stem through pressing your thumb nail agaist the stem and into your ring or middle finger pad) and the wing shortened, your spey flies will be as good as anyone's.

I forgot to add that spey hackle should be nearly all on the body 1/2 of the fly instead of equally distributed around the body. You accomplish this by simply stroking/pushing the hackle fibers down to the bottom of the fly after the spey hackle is wound. This will also help with positioning the wings very close to the body.

#8 ·
thanks for the comments!

Flytyer---
Thanks for your comments, and was anticipating them! :)
Have seen many of your posts, and kinda see you as the "sage" of all things spey and classical flytying... and i'm right there with you about all this "intruder-itis"... just can't bring myself to fish those things!!! no matter how effective they seem to be!

Although i certainly agree with you about wing length, the "hackle in the round" and the height of the wing is by design... experimentation on the deschutes produced some really nice results, like the movement and the "breathing" of the hackles in that configuration... the higher wing, especially in a contrasting color, produces a nice sillouhette (sp) as well. heck, got my first pulls on a spey rod a month and a half ago with this set up in purple and white. so i'm not arguing...

but yes, hear you on the traditional configuration, and tie up those as well... have shewey's book on order to get a little more history and tying information under my belt....

#10 ·
Sorry to offend anyone...

that wasn't the intent of my post at all :(. I was simply trying to provide a tip that would help Feiger in the development of his flies; I hope, Feiger, that you took it as such.

Again, great flies. Hope to see more from you in the future.

#11 ·
New Ties

Feiger

Very nice ties.

I always have the thought when I tie on a beautifully tied fly and throw it out in the river " here check this out", and then when I get a pull or even a hookup it just makes the experience well, that much more awesome. My non tier friends ask some times why go to that much trouble and I say why not.

I have collected a fairly large number of hackle tips as waste materials from tying other steal head flies. Maybe hackle tip wing flies will be my next obsession.

Natrix

#12 ·
appreciate your critique...

Matt--
appreciate your critique, no offense taken. appreciate the info on the GP crests, knew of joing tips and tails, but handn't heard about finding a crest with a similar bend to the hook. again, appreciate you feedback!!!!
feiger
:)

#14 ·
1More -

After this weekend, i'll have the name of the first one approved, and will then post recipes.... the second two are essentially standard patterns. The first, Skykomish Sunrise - as was originally tied in the hairwing version, with the substitution of BPE for the orange body feather and hackle, and died yellow mallard for the collar. obviously, white hackle tips for the wings....
the second is a knock off of Kaufmann's Signal Light, with floss and angora replacing the appropriate body colors, purple BPE for the hackle, with a variation of died Pink Guinea for the collar. then one pair each of purple and black hackle tips and GP crests as shown.
again, i'll have the recipes up first of next week!!!
thanks for the reply!!
feiger

#15 ·
Very nice flies, you have been at this awhile I can tell.
I do like the color combo's, and the hackle tips are what I tend to use on most of my working spey's, it tends to stabilize the fly very well in current and adds a nice bit of action as well. Tie for that classic heart shape in your spey's and they will always look proportioned.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.