A.K. Best's point on stoneflies... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2001, 10:56 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A.K. Best's point on stoneflies...

Had the pleasure of seeing Mr.Best's presentation tonight at the United Fly-Tyers meeting. One of the many points that stood out was one about giant stonefly nymphs... which I have used with great success in the northwest for summer steelhead.

Here's his tip:

Most people use nypmh hooks curved inward, or bent down. His entomologist buddies advised him otherwise - bend them up (back). When you grab a stonefly, (ugh) they curl up a little and squirm, but as soon as they hit the water they curl backward and project their legs to grab the first thing they touch - bottom rocks, sticks, etc. The antennae are pushed back from the current and don't protrude until stationary on the bottom, when they are used to feel around to determine their surroundings. His slide showed a large #2 nymph tied as he emphasized, and it looked just like a nymph under the influence of current.

I got into a giant stonefly phase during my years in steelhead nirvana, but never really liked the curled hook results and action. In fact I tied as many on straight hooks as curled hooked and they fished better in my opinion. This little revelation will lead to a much more lifelike, vulnerable looking pternarcis for me in the future.

Thanks A.K!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2001, 12:28 AM

RE:A.K. Best's point on stoneflies...

Juro ---- are you refering to the TMC 200r [NOT GOOD] to 400T [ GOOD]

regards saltron
Old 03-03-2001, 06:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:A.K. Best's point on stoneflies...

The point AK was making was not about hook model. He always rattled off hook model #'s for slides but for this slide he just said "don't bend them down, bend them UP!". Therefore I assume he bends his own to shape. The hook appeared to be a traditional nymph hook, which is also the muddler down eye. Of course there is a swimmer nypmh hook pre-bent at the factory. My exerience with these is that the thin wire is not adequate for steelhead or salmon, but fine for trout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.