Arrrrrgg - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Arrrrrgg

WORK IS KILLING ME AND MY RIVER IS BLOWN

I think I fell better now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Chief of E.P.

I hear you brother!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Registered Spey Offender

Worse yet...have days off and work evening shift with the rivers all shot out. Tides are a bit off for the Salt too. Going to test some more heads on the grass instead. MUST.........GET.....OUT....OF....HERE.

Matt
Old 12-02-2003, 02:11 PM

Piss and moan thread?

This is the worst fall fishing I've had in YEARS! Rivers always blown and work work work.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:42 PM

We are only at the begining of December and I'm wanting a tropical flat somewhere secret in the Indian Ocean. The twenty plus hour flight, the 3 day boat trip would put me as far away as one could ever want to get from what we have been dealing with here.
Think about it , 80 degree water to wade and Maui Jims all day long.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Mr. Mom

Hey OC

If'n you got the time, point the car south and start driving. When you hit La Paz Mexico, turn North East.

Haggle with some of the commercial fisherman to take you out in their Panga. Not to "crew" for you, just to take you where they are going. Bring lots of olive and white flashtail clousers in 2 to 2/0. Help the guys out while they handline in a 10 foot tiger shark.

Pretend you're Hemingway and turn the clock back 5 decades or so. You will be a changed man. Whether being a changed man is a good thing or a bad thing, I will leave up to you and those who know you
Old 12-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Pullin' Thread

The only thing worse than having the rivers blown as long as they have been around here when you have a lot of work, is to be unemployed with lots of time to fish and having the rivers blown. This is the worst bout of unemployment I've ever had and the cabin fever gets worse each week the rivers are out.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:09 PM
any fish, any time

Old 12-02-2003, 04:36 PM

Talking Steve, that photo was 'below the belt.'

but given you started it ... hit Denmon Bar just north of Medford for about an hour late this morning. Several guys using spinning gear/float/flys; only one fly guy ... but he'd already hooked 4 fish, and beached another one just after I got there.

Best I could determine from the old fella's that tend to collect there, at least 10-11 fish had already been hooked/released from about 8am to 11:30am.

fae

Should have added: river is up about 5 inches, but still running clear. But, with the added water, sink tips or very heavy dark (especially olive) are now the 'go to's' again.

Last edited by fredaevans; 12-02-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:57 PM

I think

Fred is bragging again. Your situation makes us a little jealous.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 12-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16

Old 12-02-2003, 10:02 PM

to kerry s,,the rogue,she still loves ya' baby,i fished her one night,dipped my cap ,,,thought of ya',,,peace man>>>>>
Old 12-02-2003, 10:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Yeah work is such a pain. I mean who wants to put up with coming in on a Monday morning the smell of graphite dust in the air. Talk to a couple truly good people about fishing over the weekend. Then to make matters worse I have to go and cut out a bunch of 14ft spey rods and maybe a few trout rods well then it gets worse and I have to go eat a doughnut and wiggle a new prototype to see if it feels good.
Geez then ya gotta run all the way down to the river to try out a new tip for a 4 piece spey rod then of course it's too lite so you have to go back and make another one then come back to the rier and try it out! Then when thats done some customer is at the door and you have to listen to him for 5 minutes while he tells you a story about how he broke his 8 weight on a silver in Alaska or a steelhead in BC.
Then ya have to go polish some guides or cut some rod tubes and ship someones new rod to them.
Yeah I have to admit work is just a terrible annoyance :hehe:
Old 12-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Junkyard Spey

Geez Rob...

You only give the customers 5 minutes to talk about their triumphs or failures. For the price a "Burkie" costs they should get at least an hour of your time.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:59 PM

Arrrrrrg!

I concur - AAAArrrrggg!
I too feel the pain! Heck, I've been contemplating doing some pirating of southern waters (Oregon) if I can manage to jockey some commitments around to allow a trip.
This is a very weak salve on a deep wound, but keep in mind that sustained high water flows (as long as it doesn't flood again), will actually be the best thing that can happen for the Skagit following what has happened this fall. Constant volume will flush the sediments out quicker (clearing smothered substrate), hopefully enough so to give any buried eggs and parr a better shot at survival. I think that it was the flood of "90 that was followed by low river flows and we were plagued with sediments for quite some time. In the flood in the mid '90's sustained high water flows seemed to clean the river out very quickly. Of course no one can predict Mother Nature, but I'm hoping that a quick recovery will be the case this time also.
It is tough to suffer through these periods of not being able to fish, however the last 6-7 years on the Skagit/Sauk system have been unusually conducive to large amounts of fishing time. Prior to this, from when I first started fishing here in the mid '80's up to the mid '90's, the Sauk was a river that had a notorious reputation for going out at the slightest hint of rain, and the Skagit below its confluence with the Sauk was accordingly impacted. To top it off, when the rains finally backed off a bit, usually around the first week in April, then the sun would come out, and after a few days of this, start to produce snowmelt. At this point the Sauk would once again blow out. I can remember many seasons where the Sauk was totally chocolate milk for the last 7-10 days of the season. This was during the time when the Mixer was still a very good piece of flywater (probably THE piece of water that accounted for most fly caught steelhead), and when the Sauk blew out, one of the darned few places on the Skagit to catch fish. If you read Trey Comb's book, there are two statements he made that are wise not to forget regarding these rivers. 1- many rivers reputations as steelhead flyfisheries are derived from just a few pools, sometimes even only one . 2- entire seasons have been lost due to unfavorable water conditions. These are not exact quotes, but they convey the essence of the thoughts.
I don't mean to wee in anybody's Wheaties, but the past few years on the Skagit system have been incredibly benign as far as fishing conditions go. If it goes back to its prior state, then methinks that there will be a major shift in angling population, back to the Skykomish, just like the way it was before. Think about it, the Skagit/Sauk rivers didn't just sprout out of the ground in the mid '90's. The reason that they suddenly appeared on flyfishers radar was due to a change in conditions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.