MAN... er.... "isms" - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2003, 10:08 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

MAN... er.... "isms"

Fisherman-isms that is... surely you have one to share!

(1) Never know where you are actually going to fish on a given morning until you reach the last possible decision point on the road that eliminates the possibility of both. Choose this on a whim and say "should've gone the other way" if you get the white stripe on the day. If you have a superstitious ritual, it is damn near religion. Make sure you follow it "chapter and verse".

(2) Have a mental list of all spots where you can park and snooze for a few hours before daybreak without being woken-up by the police or security guards. Cross-reference with all the 24 hour or 5am coffee shops, avoid back-tracking. Public facilities with hot showers bonus, extra credit for 24/7 access.

(3) The three simple rules of priority: Never sleep when you can tie. Never tie when you can fish. Never fish when you can...

(4) Keep a bucket of change somewhere in the vehicle, add to it continually. This stash of quarters will buy you a desperately needed lunch, put a few gallons in the tank when you really gotta have it, call you a tow truck from the 4x4 beach parking lot, get you a hot coffee and some eggs when there is no ATM in sight, get you a hot shower (see #2), or get you a couple of badly needed flies at the local flyshop. This of course means no food, no gas, no shower, and no coffee. No matter, you got the flies. Under no circumstances are you to use this change at a car wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2003, 11:17 PM

oh geesh....

Never tell your wife that you will be off the water at 2pm....
Old 11-30-2003, 09:54 AM

Re: oh geesh....

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyFishAR
Never tell your wife that you will be off the water at 2pm.... :
... but always give her a call when you are. It makes a world of difference.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:26 PM

Ya Jim

1. The money bucket acts as a coffee mug holder (covering 2 bases) but I have to say, coffee before shower, priorites you understand.
2. I have to concur with the "2-3 am spots" I have also found that draging a sleeping bag into the woods or down by the water lessen's ones altercation percentage, putting you in the "dedicated/crazy flyfisherman" catagory. I mean how much trouble can a guy, stuffed in a mummy bag, with 2 days growth of beard and a modified plastic stick be?
#. I NEVER say exactly where I am going, saves ALOT of problems that way. I have ways of communicating when needed during the trip. I give instead very general direction. I know there are alot of heads and fingers waging out there, but angling could never be that "cut and dry" for me.
4. I think its "Never sleep when you can tie, never tie when you can fish, and ALWAYS fish when you can".
Hope your Sunday is going well!
Deerhawk
Old 11-30-2003, 01:38 PM
Pencil me in.....

Never, never, never pay attention to the Fat Lady's Song.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
If you don't wear a watch you can't be late.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If you sneak away in the morning to fish on a busy weekend, don't go in the house when you get home - head straight for the garage and start the lawn mower. If the first thing she sees is your butt pushing that thing around the yard, somehow she sees your best side. When I turn to see if she's acknowledged, she waves as if to say "all is forgiven".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.