Happy Thanksgiving to all - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2003, 09:37 AM
Fly chucker

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Many of us will be travelling over the next several days and spending time with family and friends. I hope that all of you have a very safe and enjoyable holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Fly chucker

I would also like to include holiday wishes to those overseas and at home who protect our country and freedoms, and who are not able to be with their families because of duty. Their efforts and what they provide are one of the many things that I am thankful for.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:36 PM

Just Got Back...

from the store with the "fixins". I am staying put, and also send a Happy Turkey Day to all! I84 was closed around the Cabbage Hill area this 'mornin, and traction tires and chains are the rule for the passes here in the great state of Oregon. They were expectin another 6-8" of the white stuff today, with more storms later in the week. My hat is off as well to the Troops workin so hard! Thanks Guys and Gals, You all kick A**
(Can you tie a decent Fly with...Turkey feathers? )
Deerhawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2003, 05:03 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
Re: Just Got Back...

Quote:
Originally posted by DEERHAAWK

(Can you tie a decent Fly with...Turkey feathers? )
Deerhawk
sorry but i don't getwhat you mean by this

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 11-26-2003, 05:25 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Mark, ...and I wish every one the Same...Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:42 AM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
man am i stupid never mind

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 11-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks DoubleHaul, same to you...

Thanksgiving over the years has had some meaning in a fishing sense for me, although in the northeast it usually relates to the departure of a season. Not always that way, I used to pursue trout a lot and this time of year has some excellent trout fishing in stillwater and stream alike.

The lakes in the area that have holdover trout are especially exciting, the brown trout tend to come to shallow gravel shoals in a spawning ritual. They are not prone to eat but it's sight casting and they do occasionally take the fly. One pond where I have observed this behavior typically has a 10-12 pound female followed by a bevy of 5-8 pound males. Being mostly an average sized trout angler in those days you can imagine my surprise seeing these fish cruising in the shallows. I watched a fellow angler land a hen brown over 12 pounds, dripping with roe one November day.

In SWFF terms, this is certainly a time for getting back into family events - straight through until Easter in fact! Although the Jersey shore's extended innings have me dreaming of a season-stretcher and the Carolinas are on my mind, the main season is a done deal for me and most I am sure. Many of us are lucky to get a subtropical trip, I am in that group this year although not Belize we are headed to Aruba for a family trip. I will be toting an 8wt for bones and the Atlantis for any big stuff in the surf. I've heard there are some beasts on the other side of the island. With bonefish being somewhat of an anomaly on Aruba, our mock "Aruba Bonefish Club" will gain a new member this year :hehe:

In steelhead country, this is an exciting time. Although gone are the crisp fall mornings with a grab almost a sure thing on a floating line, an urge of a much more powerful nature befalls the chrome warriors of the open seas and the tides draw together the beats of mercuric fins to come home to the headwaters of their birth by the thousands, millions from the Aleutians to the Northern California coast.

It's a time when brawling chum salmon can go on the bite and provide an excellent proving ground for the new winter run rods and reels. It's a time when the fleece liners and goretex jackets feel as comfortable as a pair of old slippers, a time to fill the glass lined flasks and give last winter's unused big irons a swim.

And when you're busy tuning things in, and feeling good about the new polypro/wool blend socks four hours after starting, and you think you're getting tuned in pretty well, casts flying out over the fog-shrouded pool thinking life is good enough just to be there - TWANG!!!!!

Much to be thankful for... our forefathers, our families, our fishing. HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!
Old 11-27-2003, 02:06 PM

Just back from the annual Falmouth vs. Barnstable high school football game and I'm happy to report a GREAT game. Falmouth was victorious 12 to 7.
Happy T-day everone !
Old 11-27-2003, 11:04 PM
Marine Scientist

Wishing all of you and your families a Happy Thanksgiving; God bless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.