Waddington Prawn - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2003, 10:57 AM

Waddington Prawn

These are based on Ed's intruder work coupled with my work with Aaron on patterns and myself and Briab Styskal on materials. They have been tested a lot in Skeena country as well as on the Hoh, Sol Duc, Skagit, and Sauk this year and they work. I currently offer then in Black-Green, Black-Blue, Orange, Pink, Coral, and Purple. The pattern offerred here will be the basic orange. Email me at babr@speyman.com for details on the other color combos or make up your own.

Waddington Shank - 55mm, 45mm, 35mm, 25mm. The flies are all 6" long. The size of the shank simply determines the leength of the body AND the weight of the fly. The 55mm end up at 1.5g, 45 at 1g, 35 at .75g and 25 at .5g. This way you can dial in the amount of weight you need while still using the same pattern. I do not use eyes on mine. You can use them if you wish but I like to let the fly swing in tight and I cannot do it if there is even more weight on the shank so I skip the eyes.

Thread - Red
Hook - Owner SSW 4 or 2/0

Attachment - The hook is attached to the shank by two methods. One way is to use a loop of Fireline, I use 25#. Bind it to the shank and then pull the tag end to the rear and bind it again so it is cinched to the shank. This way it will not slip out. I also use furled 15# Maxima attached in the same manner. If you go larger than either of these you will have trouble getting the #4 hook on.
The length of the loops should be about 4.5 inched from the front of the shan to build at 6" fly.

Feelers - Start by securing 4-5 strands of pearl flashabou on each side of the shank, right in the back. Then attach Orange Estaz and take two turns right on top of each other right at the back to create a little bump. Just in front of the bump attach 5-7 hairs from a piece of Orange Yak Hair. Yak has the translucency of Polar bear but is 14" long so it works for these big flies. Attach 5-7 hairs on each of the 4 sides of the shank. The bump will cause them to stand proud from the side of the hook. This creates desireable movement in the water. Trim the Yak at 5.5 to 6" but do it so it is not abrupt. What I do is to push the hair a bit towards the front of the fly and then snip with the tips of the scissor to get a random effect. Next attach 3-4 strands of Orange Rhea on each of the 4 sides of the hook. This too will stand proud and look great in the water.

Body - Start with some Pearl Flexicord Light, 3/8" for 55 or 45, 1/4" for 35 and 1/8" for 25. Attach the end about half an inch up on the shank and bind it to the rear. Once bound pull it forward and bind it down again. Once bound pull it back and bind it down again. This gives us a nice bump of the top of the shank. Make sure the end of the binding goes right to where the Estaz bump ended. Secure some eyes to the sides of the body. I use 25# mono with a 3mm black bead and it looks great. Let it protrude about 1/2" beyonmd the shank. Attach the Estaz to the top of the body and an Orange Spey Hackle which will be the legs. Start winding the Estaz and make the first two turns go behind the mono of the eyes so it pushes the eyes a bit proud of the body. Then wind on to the font of the Felxicord and secure it. Wind the Spey Hackle forward and tie off at the front of the Flexicord. Pull down the hackle on top of the shank and pull the Flexicord forward and tie it down right at the front of the body. Be sure to leave a bit extra on the shank and really bind it down as the stuff can fall apart if you leave it too short. Finish winding the Estaz forward to the front of the shank. Leave about 1/4" at the front for finishing.

Feelers - In front attach 5-7 strands of Orange Yak Hair on each of the 4 sides of the shank and then 3-5 fibers if Orange Rhea. It is true there are no feelers in the front but this veil of materials looks unreal in the water. The front feelers go all the way to the rear of the fly.

Whip finish and rock on.

If you need materials or help contact me or Aaron at River Run Anglers.

Speyman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2003, 05:57 PM
cast,mend,stumble,swear..

Picture??

hey, working up a similar concept fly, tho haven't tried on the waddinton shank yet. do you have a picture? willing to exchange pics of ideas...
thanks!!
feiger
Old 11-28-2003, 07:05 PM

Jack

Was wondering when you would post one of these! I was just tying up a bunch of prawns myself. Its really hard not to just sit back and grin after you have just finnished one, its sort of like intruder madness. I to have stopped using the eyes except on the pink and orange ones, these really look like prawns. Post a pic if you get a chance.

Brian
Old 11-29-2003, 12:09 PM

Jack, this sounds very cool!!

Can just see this fly as a killer on the lower Rogue, the Chetco or the Smith River in No. Kalif.

As noted above, a photo would be great!!!
Old 11-29-2003, 12:39 PM

Jack,

I agree, if possible post a photo.

Like Fred mentioned, the Winter fish are starting to show up in good numbers on the lower Rogue, and these guys are a different critter then the up river Summers....They will go to a swung prawn pattern with attitude !

The Smith fish are even more aggressive....And can be MUCH larger !

Did well with Miller Prawns last year....Sure would like to tie up a few of your style as well.

Meiz
Old 11-30-2003, 10:05 PM

pics

for more pics or info email babar@speyman.com

Speyman
Old 12-01-2003, 12:11 AM

Talking Speyman, you naught boy!!

You have zero idea how many e mails you'll get on this one!!!

Old 12-01-2003, 10:10 AM

I admit

I admit I am selfish to keep in touch with those who use the prawn.

So far it has accounted for Steelhead, Rainbows, Grayling, Bull Trout, Striped Bass, Shad and Salmon in the Salt. As the pattern continues to grow and develop I delight in the adventures of those who take it forward. Folks on the East coast are developing smaller ones to use on the beach. Up here we are always looking for ways to make it bigger.

All I know is they are fun to tie and thee yanks are huge!

I will be down in early January for a few days of Winter fishing.

Speyman
Old 12-01-2003, 10:45 PM
Pullin' Thread

Jack,

I agree with those who asked for a picture. This thread of yours on the prawn really needs to have a picture accompany it (either camera or scan) so that those who have not seen it can get an understanding of what it looks like. And I'd be willing to venture that very few outside of the Seattle area have seen it.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:10 PM

pic

pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pink2.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	2482  

Speyman
Old 12-01-2003, 11:17 PM

Pic location

Jack included a picture of this fly on another Washington Fly fishing site under the fly patterns forum (I know the rules and I won't attach a link). But if you go to the site and search Waddington Prawn it is topic 485 posted May 8th, 2003.

I have yet to fish this pattern but I had a blast tying it at the october roundtable. Jack, I'll let you know how I do this winter with the pattern.

Terry D.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:17 PM

Sorry, it looks like Jack has produced the pic of the fly.

TerryD
Old 12-01-2003, 11:41 PM

Thumbs up Aarin/Jack!!!

KILLER!!!

Down side is if you check (very closely) the Oregon State Game Regs, a fly that effective would probably be illegal.
:>)
Old 12-01-2003, 11:52 PM

Jack

nice pick man! Although this isn't the jumbo mega prawn its a beauty. Now you will get 100 e-mails on how to tie it. I guess you had to let the cat out of the bag sooner or later.:hehe:

Cheers, Brian
Old 12-02-2003, 12:30 AM
The Speyshop' Speybum

Thumbs up Just right

Jack and it is my color.
Now : I will have to get a new secret weapon the cat is out of the bad.

The Purple and Chreise is a killer also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.