Harker's Report 11/15 - 11/18 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2003, 02:46 PM

Thumbs up Harker's Report 11/15 - 11/18

Finally got to experience Albie Mecca at it's finest over the weekend with FishyboyICU812 and the Big Unit, both hailing from Southern Maryland. Despite slow reports and questionable weather we took the chance, and....well, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

The weekend was off to a slow start after a major blow earlier in the week. Fishing with Capt. Brian Horsely we were only able to locate isolated pods of small fish breaking...many of which were feeding on krill and totally unreceptive to the fly. Only 2 bites on the boat for the day as we started to wonder if the slow fishing would continue. Cold and breezy and not really feeling like we were very far from home.

This all turned around on Sunday with some beautiful sunshine and FAC conditions. We took a chance and it paid - locating fish offshore exploding on silversides as big as your hand. After a number of denials we switched up to big crease flies and floating lines and it was on. Many hookups right next to the boat including a 20# and many fish landed over 15#. Tired arms and big smiles all around.

Fished with Capt. Nat Moody on Monday and Tuesday which were just as good. We switched tactics and fished 350 grain lines and 6-inch silverside patterns. Casting both in the blind and to working birds, many fish were caught by all, with a few fly rods damaged in the process. By the end of the trip nearly every rod on the boat had suffered some kind of damage. Harkers island really is "where 9-weights go to die."

We were all a bit amazed by the average size and power of these fish. Even with an 11wt it was nearly impossible to lift them with the spool locked once they got deep under the boat. Sore hands, sore arms and racoon tans were the order of the day for the remainder of the trip, until the weather turned just in time for us to leave on Tues afternoon.

Between the fishing, weather and company I feel pretty fortunate to have been part of this excursion. What a way to wrap up the 2003 season!

Pictures to follow courtesy of Striblue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Fly chucker

It's great to hear that everything worked out for you for a large portion of the trip.....I was wondering how things were going, especially with Capt Gordon's timely updates.

I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:52 PM
President of CAC

Here are some Pics:
Old 11-20-2003, 03:09 PM
President of CAC

Trying again:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunrise.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	2430  
Old 11-20-2003, 03:13 PM
President of CAC

Another:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	big_20.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	2431  
Old 11-20-2003, 03:15 PM
President of CAC

................and one more:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	steve\'s.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	2432  
Old 11-20-2003, 03:16 PM
Fly chucker

Holy crap!!! Sure that's not a bluefin in the first fish pic?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You can sure paint me green with envy!.. talk about hitting it just right! Hmm... Southwest Air.... I am now free to move about the country...
Old 11-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Nice fish! Nice pics! Sounds like a great time. Juro, I'm greener than you!!
Old 11-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Dave,
I just got your email and it looks like you got John to help you out with the pics before I could get to it. I resized them and posted them to a pic site and here they are just so you know I did it.

And here is the pic Dave took of me while we were fishing in October out at Montauk.

Dave I am elated that you finally got your Albie fix for 2003, and what a way to do it!! 20 lb. Albies is definitely some awesome stuff to witness and I would like someday to witness that for myself. You could not look any happier in that picture holding that slob of an Albie. You are one of only a few I have heard of that hit the fishing down there just right. Most of emails I have been receiving have been very bleak and on the disappointing side of the scale. It is nice to hear that someone made the trek down and did well. Two thumbs up to you buddy. Maybe next year we will hit them on a good note instead of missing them like this year.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 11-20-2003, 05:06 PM
NC Fly Guy

Dave,
Did you get to try the Island Grill on Monday night? I'm glad you hit it just right. It was pretty epic wasn't it? It's easy for me to pick and choose what days I want to go and when I will stay home. I often feel bad for guys who come here from a long ways away only to have crappy conditions. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were the three nicest days in a row that we have had in a while around here. With all the fish that showed up, it was perfect timing. PS A guy in our flyfishing club got a 25 lber on Tuesday.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:39 PM

Cap't G -

We did make it to the Island Grill on Monday. You were dead-on right about the fillet. All I can say is: 3 guys - 4 entrees. Thanks for the tip - BT was fun as well...good wings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.