Flyfishing 101, Class #2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2003, 11:10 AM

Flyfishing 101, Class #2

The class problem.
(All must have some sort of answer, however feeble).

There is no one in sight and you are standing on a river bank thinking about
what to do when the bank, about 12 feet above the water, suddenly lets go
from your weight and you wind up in the river buried up to your armpits in
muck and mud. You are vertical, everything is in tack, and you are in no
apparent danger of drowning.
But, try as you might, you canít move much and the water is freezing cold.
However, your waders are up high enough to keep the water out and so you
are dry.
What to do here?
Bob, the Hand Me My Red Pencil, Please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Scream like a girl until someone shows up..................
Old 11-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Chief of E.P.

The correct answer is fish.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

You could still scream like a girl while fishing until someone shows up:eyecrazy:
Old 11-18-2003, 11:45 AM

Change patterns to one suitable for muddy water!

on a serious note: [list=1][*]Stay calm[*]Look for exposed roots to grab onto[*]Make slow small movements to get unstuck. [/list=1]
Old 11-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Thanks John!!

I've heard some say that flyfishing for Winter Steelhead is a surefire way to kill braincells. Sometimes even more is at risk.:hehe:

Seriously tho - there are spots with that kind of mud where something like this could happen. Not rushing water, but water nonetheless.

Staying calm is a good one. Any noisemaking devices - use 'em. Screaming like a girl will attract predators (especially in the spot I'm thinking of - comments Sinktip? ), so should probably be considered only as a last resort.

I like John's suggestion of small movements - i've been trapped in mud and this was the way I got out. DONT panic and expend all your energy - work slowly and see how much mobility you have. Consider if getting out of your waders would allow you to get to a place where you could escape the river if it came to that.

As will all these quasi-emergency situations, you have options. Just depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice (waders, dignity, etc) and in what order.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:40 PM

I assume this is in the winter...

If it is in the winter just reach out and grab an oar on one of the many drift boats that are passing by. When they see you, and they will, they are going to (by habit) try and crowd as close to you as they can then just reach out and grab the oar and let them pull you out of the muck.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Chief of E.P.

I like Moonlight's idea.

And yes DS, if we are thinking the same place then attracting "predators" could leave you in worse shape. In fact, you could be seriously screwed depending on what heard your calls. Who says fly fishing is not a contact sport?
Old 11-18-2003, 01:26 PM

Good thread! "Plan ahead ... it will happen to you" ..

just a question of when/where.

Stepped into quicksand only once (work party at the Skagit river hatchery many, many years ago. Sank like a rock up to my thighs. Fortunately the other fellows at the work party clued into the fact that I wasn't back and was hauling in tools. Two of them when back to look for me ... it ended up (even with the shovels, etc.,) damn near an hour to extract my fanny.

What makes 'quick sand' so darned dangerous is the sand is actually (if memory serves here) flat and oval in shape ... ergo, with water coming up from below it actually 'floats.'

On the safety side, in one vest I've got a small air horn you can hear for a mile, the other vest has a police whistle. Trust me, you can't shout loud enough to be heard more than a few feet. A whistle .... for a very long way, and with minimal breath.
fae
Old 11-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Very humorous crowd here! :hehe:

If you can wiggle your feet side to side, do so. This creates space to advance your feet upward while filling in the void beneath. We are talking not quicksand here, but muddy muck and mire. Continue to advance your feet upward pushing your torso to higher position each time.

The standard answer for muck holding your feet is to wiggle them side to side, it does in fact work very well.

Another option is to pull the wading belt very tight and gobble a 32 oz. can of Bush's Baked Beans. Wash it down with a nice yeasty beer like a hefferweissen. Give it about 15 minutes...

If this doesn't work, slip out of the waders and fish in your skibbies! Your life is not worth a pair of chest waders and it would be a shame to waste a perfectly good pool. Afterall, you did say there was no one around so you have it all to yourself!
Old 11-18-2003, 06:34 PM

On the San Juan River, many years ago, the "San Juan Shuffle" was outlawed. It may be legal on the river in which you find yourself mired. Before you begin working your feet loose, tie on a #12 red San Juan Worm. As you shuffle your feet attempting to break loose from the mud, strip out line. The fish should be lining up downstream of you feeding on the red midge larvae kicked up with the mud.

Good fishing,
Leland
Old 11-18-2003, 09:12 PM
Pullin' Thread

Once, on Montana's Yellowstone River near the town of Big Timber, I stepped on what I thought was gravel bar at the edge of the river one late summer. Instead of gravel, it was wet river mud covered with a coating of gravel. Sank up to my waist in the muck. Scared the crap out of my wife and daughter. Anyhow, I got free by doing exactly as Juro said. It took a little while; but I then got to fish the lovely run afterward.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:30 AM

ANSWER: Cough, cough, I always like to begin with a little cough. The scenario I've drawn is so serious that death will result unless some heavy intervention is taken.
Unfortunately not much can be done once the scene has unfolded. You are toast, man. Get used to it. Go ahead and fish until the Eternal Footman comes and holds a black coat and asks you to put it on and step into his carriage and go for the big ride.
But maybe it could have been avoided.
Don't go near banks like that. Stay back if in doubt. You can't get out alone-you've got to get help.
First, don't fish alone if you can help it.
Use a lanyard with a police whistle and don't fish without it. A rocket gun such as mariners use will probably bring help on most any stream. Put it in a zip lock bag with a half dozen flares or so. Stow it in the creel part of your vest since there 's never anything in there anyway.
Cell phone and 911. I always carry mine. Embarrassing, but a fire truck full of bozos will show up in short order. They will have the ladder, rope, and muscle to get you free.
An "A" grade has been given to any of you taking the class
whose answer somehow relates to mine. "F" to the others.
Bob

Alert | IP
Old 11-20-2003, 08:57 AM

Prevention is best

Point made on being prepared, and not getting there in the first place. Often there are alternatives specific to the circumstances that one cannot anticipate that can be used to extract oneself from the difficulty.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 12-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Recent Member

Watch it with the "bozos" there Bubba. We may not be Ph.Ds, but we ain't clowns either. BTW, thats fire ENGINE (not truck) full of bozos, for those in the know

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.