Caffeine induced fit of creativity... - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2003, 04:42 PM
Kodiak Alaska

Caffeine induced fit of creativity...

I think it was John Gierach that coined the phrase “Caffeine induced fit of creativity” when talking about some of his creations at his vice. These are the fly’s I tied for no other apparent reason than to see how they would look...I had allot more of them on me bulletin board but one of my “Shipmates” took them home for safe keeping when I got sent to the gulf and refuses to give them back.
Oh well, here they are...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2453  

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Kodiak Alaska

Here's another...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2454  

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Kodiak Alaska

And the last...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3a.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	2455  

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

Old 11-24-2003, 05:52 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
look good but from what i do know is that the heads of the flies are way too big

the last one would work good as a replacement for the mickey finn recipe?

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 11-24-2003, 08:12 PM

Mcorder

Nice flies man! very creative and tied with a bit of soul.The head may be big but is near perfect. A famous atlantic salmon tyer by the name of Belermino Martinez from spain tied his flies with a fairly large head, it was his trade mark along with the sienna laquer he used on almost all of his flies. At the time of his death a few years ago he was considered one of the best in the world.

Brian
Old 11-24-2003, 09:10 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
looking at it again the middle looks like a little bow
you can just change the colors used and create streamers to represent anything

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 11-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Kodiak Alaska

Smile

Thanks for the compliments!!!!

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

Old 11-25-2003, 06:52 AM
Marine Scientist

M - Again, cool! Can you post the recipe for one or two of them? Very creative, just we like to see in the off season "down here" to keep us busy at the vise. Keep 'em comin'!
Old 11-25-2003, 07:35 AM
President of CAC

Just a question to you salmon guys... When you refer to the head being too big... is that too big from coping the original or too big to induce a strike???Does Head size matter with this fishing...Just wondering ..for my education. Thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Kodiak Alaska

The recipe for all the fly’s are basically the same…I’ll give a general and then touch on the differences.

The hooks are Tiemco Salmon/Steelhead (I bought them in Alaska and since lost the bag so I can’t give a number).
The bodies are floss with silver or gold Freedom (French) Tinsel.
The thorax is Black or Peacock dubbing.
All the wings are Bucktail.
The Yellow and Black Fly has a White Rabbit Tail (cut from a strip), Black Saddle Hackle with Yellow Scallpen over.
The other two are just Scalpen.
The design of the fly’s were the result of me just sitting at my vice thinking “Hmmmmmmm, that would look cool”.

I think the head is of personal preference. I know the smaller head looks more delicate and appealing to the eye. Also, when casting great distances anything to reduce weight might be in your best interest. With my creations I don’t think the fish is going to look too close in evaluating weather or not that big swimming bumblebee is proportionally correct.
:hehe:

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

Old 11-25-2003, 08:18 AM

Nice flies!

I like the big heads...they probably add a little weight to the deal too, which could be desireable. I don't think the size of the head on a teal and hot pink streamer is going to put off any fish...just a different take on the graceful patterns of old...
Old 11-25-2003, 08:24 AM

IMO head size is merely a style thing, John. Small heads have traditionally been something to aspire to in salmon flies, but I don’t believe they add to the attractiveness. The only thing is that, if you use a knot like the turle, which goes round the neck of the hook eye, it’s important to keep this area clear so the knot beds in and can’t slip forward. It’s a bit hard to see, but I suspect this may not be the case with MCorder’s flies.

A few people over here have started incorporating eyes into the heads of salmon flies, like you do with your saltwater flies. These generally take the place of jungle cock eye feathers, and obviously mean a bigger head. But regardless of size the head still needs to be kept back from the eye if the turle knot is to work.

Incidentally, it’s struck me from a few pictures here and flies received in swaps that US tiers may tend to finish their heads even further back from the eye than ours. Sean’s Ally’s Shrimp is a recent example. This isn’t really meant as a criticism, just an observation. Is this style typical?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:03 PM
Pullin' Thread

Head size is relative and is dependent on the tyer's own sense of porportion. There is no hard-and-fast rule on head size. It is important to have a head that is well-formed (and McCorder's are very well-formed) sort of in the shape of a Hersey's Kiss. The are many other famous tyers who tie larger heads, Ron Alcott comes readily to mind.

Gardener,

To answer your question on space between fly's head and hood eye, yes, it is fairly typical of the better tyers here on the west coast of the US to do this. The reasons for it are: 1) when a hitch is placed on the fly it is placed farthur back on the shank and causes a more erratic fly action: and 2) it allows a fisher to tie a whip finish knot behind the eye, which is stronger than a Turle.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:12 PM
President of CAC

The Knot issue does make sense... but , since I use saltwater so much in casting, I would find it hard to believe that the weight difference in the salmon big head versus small head is so substantial that it effects casting.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Marine Scientist

John - the balance of the fly during the cast would be affected by the size and/or weight of the head. I would imagine that, in addition, pulling a fly with a larger head through the water when preparing to spey cast would make the strain on the rod a bit heavier, which would again affect casting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.