brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
woohoo

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Pullin' Thread

Fred,

The big problem with having become a pro tyer is I never buy just a package of anything. I have so much fly tying material that it takes up one complete long wall, floor-to-truss bottoms in my garage. I buy things in dozen, thousand, pound, half-dozen, etc. size of a single item. I don't even know the total value of my inventory of tuing material other than it is more than some small shops have as their stock.

John,

I have been holding my scissors in my hand since the second year I was tying flies and that was way back in 1962 when I was 9 years old. I learned how to tie from Herter's PROFESSIONAL FLY TYING, SPINNER, AND TACKLE MAKING book and in it he mentioned that a pro tyer by the name of Leon Wronski of Pennsylvania tied with his scissors held in his hand by looping a finger loop over his ring finger and holding the closed scissors in his palm. I was tired of having to stop and pick up then put them back down each time I needed to cut something, I decided to try and hold the scissors the way Wronski did.

I cut materials by simply putting my thumb through the thymb loop and operate the scissors with my thumb and ring finger. Scissors with adjustable finger loops work best for holding them in your hand. I use Anvil curved blade standard scissors for my all-purpose scissors because I found they are among the best scissors on the market, the and they have adjustable finger loops.

Also, the Anvil standard scissors have long enough blades that the blade barely sticks out above your hand when being held in your palm. This is important so that you don't stick yourself with the scissors when holding them while tying. And the curved blades are more versatile than the straight blade ones because they allow you to trim spun deer hair after it is spun.

Like you John, I tie as many spun deer hair bodies as I need (usually between 2 and 5 dozen) before I trim any of them. And I lay my materials out clockwise for the most part. I do place animal tails on my thigh though because it makes it easier to pick them up and cut the amount I need than having them on the tying table. And I never cement any fly heads until all the flies are tied that I tied in a given tying session. This means that I may have 10 dozen flies to put head cement on at one time. My steelhead and salmon flies (streamers too) always get 2 or 3 coats of medium viscosity head cement because doing so completely fills the voids in the thread and the flies not only look nicer, they last longer as a result.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:14 AM

Whip finishes "the old way"

When you want to whip finish the head of a fly, try the old way - double over a piece of 4x tippet mat'l, place it on the head of the fly, make 10 wraps of thread over the head/tippet, place the thread through the open "loop" of tippet, then pull through using the tag ends of the tippet. Trim the pulled-through thread.

After putting on head cement, you will be surprised at the durability of the fly!

Haven't used a whip finisher in years! This beats virtually all of 'em for speed and resulting durability.

BobK
Old 11-16-2003, 09:16 AM
brookie! where?

neat little trick same thing someone would do with guide wrappings

Old 11-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Pullin' Thread

BobK,

I respectfully disagree on the use of a whip finisher being slower than using the loop method, or the hand/finger method of tying a whip finish. The Materelli style whip finisher will tie the whip finish faster and place it more accurately than either the loop or hand methods. All it takes is a little practice.

I will grant you that the vast majority of whip finishers on the market, which are copies of the Thompson whip finisher, are slow and clumsy compared to the loop method or hand/finger methods. The Materelli style whip finishers are in a different category altogether than the Thompson style ones and allow you to produce the whip finish very quickly and accurately.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:24 AM
Fly chucker

I have to agree with flytyer here....the Matarelli finisher is far faster than doubling over a piece of 4X.

My idiosyncracies? If I'm not fishing, then I'm tying. And if I'm not tying, then I'm fishing. And if I'm not doing either one, chances are that I'm thinking about them.

I suppose that my one habit for years was that I couldn't wrap my mind around the concept of "less is more", especially when it came to thread wraps. For some time my ties were too bulky, but I thought that I'd be compromising durability if I reduced the thread wraps. Then I eventually put some faith in the advice of others, turned a corner, and began to make flies with the right proportions without compromising durablity. Eureka!

My other habits include having a ball game of some sort on the tube (but not to the point of distraction), occasionally having a cold beer (but not to the point of sloppy tying), and putting things back so I can find them later (but not to the point of being immaculate).
Old 11-17-2003, 01:04 PM

A.K.A as personal oddity!
When I started tying many many moons ago, we were of modest means so my Dad (and I learned this form him, among many other things) would be extremely frugal.
I mean close to being cheap, one thing that has stuck with me over the yeras is working real hard at maximizizing every inch or pinch or dubb of material and creating the tools that we could not afford. I still "make" a lot of my tying material(s) no longer to be so frugal but just for the fun of it.
Being an avid hunter as well as FFsher, I have an extensive collection of deer, moose, elk and caribou hair, of various lengths, coarseness, and color! More than I'll ever be able to use in 999 lifetimes, But what the heck, it's an obsession right? Or oddity!
Old 11-19-2003, 03:24 PM
Duke of Furl

Send a message via Yahoo to Don Johnson
idiosyncracy question

Why go through all the trouble to have everything optimized for maximum efficiency only to have to pick up a tool to tie a simple knot?

The best whip finisher is at the end of your arm. You don't need to pick it up because it's right there (or left there depending on your perrogative). It was free. If you lose it, you have other problems to worry about besides finishing the head of a fly. Accuracy, as it pertains to finishing the head of a fly, is moreso a trait of the user not the tool, in my opinion. The hand whip-finish is vastly more versatile than any tool on the market. As an example I offer the scenario of performing a whip finish at the end of a Carrie Stevens streamer hook, or any long-shank hook for that matter, or over a bullethead with rubber hackle hanging out or, well, you get the point. The hand whip-finish is also faster, hands down, no pun intended.

For me, about the only advantages I see a tool having over my fingers is that it doesn't have callouses or anything else that frays thread. Given a few more years and the potential dwindling nimbleness of the digits, I might have to get a tool to combat arthritis. We'll see. Maybe by then they'll have one with batteries so it'll be faster than my manual thread manipulation.

Don Johnson
Shelton, WA

Last edited by Don Johnson; 11-19-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Marine Scientist

I typically have a mug of green tea or a cold beer on hand, the clock radio on to NPR (which works out well since I typically tie in the evenings and that's when they have their jazz shows playing). Otherwise, since I've only been tying a few years, I don't have any set ways; I just do whatever is required of the pattern to get "something fishy".

I'll have to try one of those whip finishers you guys are talking about; I must admit, the one part of my tying that needs the practice is using a whip-finishing tool. I'll have a look at Hunter's and see what's cooking. I finish my flies with (gasp) a few overhand knots... and they look fine and are very durable. Still, I'd still like to learn to whip finish.

John - I had to do a double take on that fly. At first, I thought the tail was olive-dyed deer hair... that would be an interesting pattern. Oh, and frankly I don't think that the fish really care if the hackle is a bit too long; bass, for instance, aren't noted for being picky about such things.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:27 PM
brookie! where?

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfisha1
; bass, for instance, aren't noted for being picky about such things.

tell that to a pro bass fisherman and he or she will laugh in your face

I think it depends on the conditions

Old 11-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Pullin' Thread

To all of you who worry about not being able to use a whip finish tool to tie a whip finish at the bend end of a large, or extra-long shank hook, Materelli has both a standard length and an extended reach whip finisher. I own both.

I also feel a need to say that before I began usijng the Materelli whip finisher about 22 years ago, I tied whip finishes with my hand. The Materelli is far faster, and I never need to worry about the thread getting caught on a piece of skin, a cut from a hook point, or a callous.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Marine Scientist

Hmmm, my point was that a hackle that's a smidge too long won't matter for this particular attractor pattern.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.