Fly Fishing Forum banner

striper phlyz d'jour...

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  rooster 
#1 ·
...or, what I tried to drown at Harker's.

A few annoyed Mr Albie enough to provicate a strike...
(care to guess which ones inflicted C&R piercings?!)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The product of a wasted yout...

Johnny Scissorhandz...
That's a nice compliment!:D
Thanks...'more than enough to send me back to R&D more ideas.

I've been playin' around with the hook up routine this year and phooled some unsuspecting phish in the process...
...'Wait 'till next Spring!!!
:rolleyes:

#8 ·
and the winners were...

left side from the top...#1, 3, and 4
right side from the top...#2

p.s.
Mr Sprocket...
"YOUT" is New Joisey for youth...
...sorta' like the all encompassing "yuz guyz"...or,
"forgetaboutit!":hehe:

#12 · (Edited)
:D
All the "hook down" flys are fur (bucktail) and feathers...
All the"hook up" flys are "super hair"...tied in small tufts with some flashaboo in the body for added visual zip and a lateral line.
I carry a small brush and comb them out, as needed, since they would otherwise tend to get a little knarley (sp?)...

Graduated colours add depth and the super hair is durable but needs to be brushed to keep it looking good. I apply some "hard-as-nails" in the head/hook area to firm up the shape as this tends to reduce fouling...use just enough to give body but not so much as to impede the hook from setting once inhaled by a hungry test consumer.

Good/cheap therapy when it's cold and dark at 5 in the afternoon...

#15 · (Edited)
EASY...(Marlboro?!)

Start with a larger hook so the gape is adequate enough...mono thread!
Dress the hook shaft, add some white super hair just at the hook bend, then wrap with pearl braid for the base (belly)...
Tie in small graduated tufts of super hair up the shaft, adding subtle colours to get the desired tones, some darker flash to form a thin lateral line, more tufts of hair to complete the body, and some flashiboo overlay for scale flash...All ties on the "inside" of the hook.
Some peacock for the dorsal...Epoxy the head, apply holograph eyes with a light epoxy coat to make them fast...and finish with a light application of "hard-as-nails" from eyes to the bend to better control fouling and to keep things where they belong (but not enough to keep the hook from doing what it needs to do when attacked by a hungry comsumer!)...

I'm still treating these like "prototypes"...
Keep it sparse...
Verivas with a longer shaft look to be best...
They tend to take a beating when a fish is taken so I highly recommend you carry a small hair brush to make them right after a PHRAKAS!
Now they need a name?!:whoa:

#17 · (Edited)
oops...senior moment!

...'forgot the pretty picture... Thanks John...the "PharSide" it is!

p.s.
...use fine mono thread so the belly colour shows through...here's the standard style vs the new and improved "PharSide"...

Attachments

#19 ·
Jimmy...

They were tied in the Mobile Command Post...or, if I'm talking to some of the locals..."the Cottage"...snooty folks all seem to call their 8,000 sq ft summer places "the Cottage"...Anyway...
Thanks for the compliment but, let it be known, I'm MORTIFIED!
I don't due much surfing on the other sites...I try to avoid scoping out the fly tying stuff to better develop my own "original" ideas.

Well...I thought I was on to something until I stumbled on some of Captain Stan's beauties. If I didn't know better, I'd say mine were exact copies/knock offs of his...I did all those on my own, but they are dead ringers for his stuff. His ARE better!
My deepest apologies to the good Capt Stan!!! HONEST!
I'll crawl back under my rock...or retreat to the bunker...and ponder the meaning of life while hunkering down for a long cold winter...and keep my profound revelations to myself!
"BALLS" said the Queen..."If I had them I'd be King!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.