The turbo spinning block for dubbing - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2003, 04:27 PM

This is my first attempt at posting photos, so bear with me.
Here follows some shots of spey hackle made from Amherst centre tail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2003, 06:18 PM

No Attachment

Speydoc
Please try again, as the photos did not get attached.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 11-16-2003, 08:28 PM

Retry!
Old 11-16-2003, 08:30 PM

3rd attempt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amherst hackle.-2jpg.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	2416  
Old 11-16-2003, 08:38 PM

Well the single hackle seemed to come up, I will now try and post the bunch of hackles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	multiple amherst hackles.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	2417  
Old 11-16-2003, 11:51 PM

Very cool stuff spey/doc.

Speybum makes great dubbing brushes by sticking a rabbit fur strip in the loop and cutting off the hide.

Aaron has given me several strips (correct term?) of his 'wound dubbing;' don't have the time, etc., Great Stuff!!!! Works like a charm.
DOUBLE
Old 11-17-2003, 01:57 AM
Registered Spey Offender

Oh man, my head is so full of ideas I'm never going to tie flies again, just make "dubbing brushes". Awesome stuff gentlemen.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-17-2003, 08:53 AM

Speydoc, Great looking Hackles!! I recently read "A Master Fly Weaver" and the author (sorry I can't his name) went through a lot of trouble to make similiar looking hackles.

Besides stopping to pick out the hackles when they get caught in the brush do you have any advice on making the hackles?
Old 11-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Duke of Furl

Send a message via Yahoo to Don Johnson
what to stuff in brush

Brushes can be made with about any material imaginable but they really shine with stuff that's difficult to work with such as pig's wool, seal, polar bear underfur, deer hair, etc. With that said, the Nor-Vise works well in applying these materials to the thread without making loops or brushes (http://www.geocities.com/salmn8r/dubbeddeerhair.html for some pics).

If making brushes with thread or floss as the core, the brush can be saved by inserting the ends of the finished brush into slits cut in opposite ends of a piece of appropriately-sized card stock. This is the way Leisenring stored the dubbed bodies for his trout flies depicted in "The Art of Tying the Wet Fly".

An alternative to twisting the ends together is furling the material. Goto http://www.geocities.com/salmn8r/furledstinger.html to see how a Nor-Vise can aid in the furling of a piece of material (mono in the photos on that page). By leaving the hook out of the construction and evenly applying dubbing to the material, the ensuing furling will lock the material into place with the only thing needing to be done to preserve the furl is to tie an overhand knot into the loose ends. That furling technique may be something one can do with the turbo twisting thingy; it works fine with the Nor-Vise so I haven't pursued any other construction possibilities.

Furling is a method that has a lot of potential in fly tying but doesn't seem to get a lot of press. The stingers depicted on the aforementioned page are an easy and fast way to start a tandem chassis and have really sped up my tying process for tying String Leeches. Applying dubbing to the material pre-furl or trapping a saddle hackle in the furl or by using materials other than mono (braided Dacron, lead core trolliing line, braided stainless, etc). are all options that work well and increase the versatility of the technique.

Also see:
http://www.geocities.com/salmn8r/rotarytechniques.html

Last edited by Don Johnson; 11-17-2003 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Registered Spey Offender

These are my latest dubbing brush flies. Only took about an hour or so.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	latest brush.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	2424  
Old 11-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Pullin' Thread

John,

The author of the book you mentioned is George Grant. I had the pleasure of meeting him on Montana's Big Hole River several times when I lived in Montana. George was (I don't know if he is still alive or not; if so, he would be close to 100 years old right now.) a gentlemen from Butte, Montana who was generous with his time and knowledge of tying and fishing.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:29 AM

Thankyou Flytyer. I just had a mental block on George Grant's name.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:38 PM
JD

Speydoc-very nice

This would seem to be a great alternative to splitting hackle(s) stems. Which, as anyone who has ever tried can tell you, is a royal pain in the butt. Now, only question is, how do you keep the hackle fibers laying flat rather than twisting all around the brush as you spin it?
Old 11-20-2003, 10:24 AM

turbo spinning block

teds is out of the turbo spinning block and didnt know when the next order would come in.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Registered Spey Offender

Sorry Metalhead, but I thought that might happen. You might want to look up those distributers they list on the makers site and give them a call. I was at a local shop last night (River Run Angler, Aaron and Jack are God's gifts to Spey fishermen) at a fly tying round table and those nor-vises are pretty slick and can do the same thing. Aaron had one made with the spinning vise on one end, a holder on the other and a little micro table that could be elevated up to the wire where you could lay out dubbing, fur, feather, etc. and then spin it into a brush (check out some of these videos http://www.nor-vise.com/multimedia/video.htm ). If I hadn't bought a turbo spinning block, I would make one because right now, I just can't believe I have gone so long with out one or something like it.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.