Professor OC was in his classroom - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Chief of E.P.

Professor OC was in his classroom

OC and I just returned from a whirlwind trip to one of our favorite rivers. Usally we spend a week there drinking in its splendor but this year we only had time for a couple of days. Water temps were around 47 degrees and most of the flyfishers on the river were swinging sinktips.

OC kept to his floater though and put on a clinic. The first morning in less than four hours he put six fish on the beach. He pulled them out in front of me, behind me and in water I had just covered. The first three were to hand before 6:30 AM. It mattered little what runs we fished as he hit fish in the first three of the day. Suddenly my flybox didn't look like it held anything good while his was full of gold. It didn't matter what he put on, his touch was as that of Midas.

Finally he cooled off a little and I was able to go fish for fish with him the rest of the trip (at a more modest catch rate) but for that one morning, he was THE MAN! And I hate to admit it, it was with a single handed rod too.

It was certainly a pleasure to watch the master at work. This was only matched by the enjoyable dinner and conversation we had Saturday night with MJC and his lovely wife. Good times, good food and good people.

One curious side note was that every single fish we landed over the weekend was a male. About 2/3 unclipped but every single one a buck. Where were the ladies?

Only another year till I can go back. Until then, I am sure I will hear my share from Professor OC.

sinktip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sinktip -

I admire you for not only abstaining from the use of shrimp oil but also not mentioning it on OC's behalf! :hehe:

J/K - that was some serious mojo you had goin' OC! Epic by any standards for steelheading on the fly.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Chief of E.P.

Juro,

I think you may have deduced his secret. I saw him doing something to his fly but in the low light, I couldn't see what it was. After morning was over (and I could see better) his catch rate did cool off to mortal standards again. Hmm, shrimp oil just might fit the facts.

All kidding aside, it was a pleasure just watching him fish. I sat on a rock yesterday morning just smoking a good cigar and watching him work a nice run. No fish came to him this time but it was one of the rare passes this weekend that he didn't hook-up. There is no doubt that he is a master on this river.

'tip
Old 11-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Junkyard Spey

OC was HOT!

After listening to Sinktips account of how hot OC was in action I started looking for OC to get a hookup in my water glass. Linda and I had a great time having dinner with OC and Sinktip and they bought which was very nice of them. Next time we'll have to make Linda pay.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:04 PM

What Flies/

What flies were you using and what part of the river? It is much colder now, 38 degrees last Friday with air temp in the low 20's in the morning. It makes for interesting fishing.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 11-11-2003, 12:34 AM
Steelhead-a-holic

Wink Hmmm

Think you boys are talking different rivers.

Congrats OC - when you're in tune with the river and the Steelies are responding, there's nothing quite like it.

Sadly, I was fishing a south sound "zipperlip"river today and the two steelies that decided to grab my fly were intent on proving that tube flies hooks are no guarantee that a fish will stay pinned.

I sure wish the water I was fishing in was 47 degrees - maybe those fish would have turned with the fly.

Cast & Swing, Cast & Swing

DS
Old 11-11-2003, 07:07 AM
Chief of E.P.

Yes it was a different river.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:56 AM
Pullin' Thread

Sinktip,

Now we will never be able to get OC to give up the single hander for summer fish. Although I did hear a rumor about him going to go with a 2-hander for this winter.

OC,

It sounds like it was a performance worthy of any steelheader.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Wink No Comments from OC??

Guess he's still busy washing that Shrimp Oil out from under his nails.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Chief of E.P.

I believe that OC is down on the big D trying to see if his mojo still has some magic in it. He has already cussed me out in private for anointing him here.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sinktip,

After what he did through annointing you this summer herein, he deserves some annointing in return.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:23 AM

Wink

Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

One should never ever boast about their steelhead catching abilities. The last time I did that I went an entire winter season without a single fish to the bank. But, just to let you all know, do you know that if I did what sinktip does and retire the flies that he catches steelhead on my fly box would have been pretty empty by 0807 that wonderful Saturday morning.

All kidding aside, somedays things like that happen, maybe it's because Sue and I are now no longer a couple and my mind as a single person was totally on steelhead fishing. No guilt feelings about not being at the opera or having to go to some play on womens lib something about the vaginas I believe. I didn't even have to hurry back to go to some youth soccer game.

Well what is important is that sinktip and me got over to the big canyon land caught some fish, took in the view and had a great dinner with good friends. Also what made the trip so good was that sinktip was never once really upset about my fish catching Saturday morning. Ya after the second fish in the first 4 minutes he just called me an A**hole. After the 4th fish in 45 minutes he just called me the last word of the word pin prick. Never once did he throw rocks into the run in front of me never once did he get in his jeep and drive off. He is a good fisherman and I know he will get his day on the river.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.