Price of Flies in UK vs. USA - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 11:29 AM

Price of Flies in UK vs. USA

It is my understanding that trout flies purchased in fly shops in the UK cost approximately one dollar or less.

1. Is it true?

2. If not true, what is the current price of UK trout flies?

3. What is the reason for the difference between the UK price and the current two dollar price in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 12:56 PM

the price of flies in Ireland (not the UK) are approx. 2 Euro for trout flies, if I remember correctly. Recent exchange rate is something like 130E for 180 dollars.

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is for Sterling.

Hope this helps
Old 11-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

www.xe.com
Old 11-10-2003, 02:45 PM

Wet Flies (x50) £ 5.95 9.94710 USD
Dry Flies (x50) £ 7.95
Nymphs Flies (x50) £ 6.95
Lures (x50) £ 9.99
Gold Head Nymphs (x20) £ 5.50
Pheasant Tail Nymphs (x20) £ 3.50
Daddys (x20) £ 5.50
Hoppers (x20) £ 5.50
May Flies (x20) £ 5.50
Sedges (x30) £ 5.50
Buzzers (x20) £ 3.50
CDC (x20 includes Emergers Buzzers Caddis) £ 3.95
Lead Heads (x20) £ 5.50
Weighted Nymphs (x40) £ 5.95

Most of the flies sold in the UK are tied in Africa
taken from one of the big retailers in the UK

www.speygillie.co.uk

Last edited by Willie Gunn; 11-10-2003 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:07 AM

Price of flies, UK vs. USA

Juro,
Many thanks—a really useful site.

Malcolm,
Thank you for the information. I am not sure I understand the unit prices, so I will appreciate your correcting any misinterpretations and errors I made below.

Taking your line 1, wet flies, is the unit price per wet fly about $0.20?

Unit fly price = $9.95 divided by quantity, which in this case is 50 flies
= 9.95 / 50 flies = $0.199 or approximately 20 cents US.

20 cents seems low. What don’t I understand?
Old 11-11-2003, 02:38 AM

Those prices, approximately $0.20 per fly, are for mass produced flies imported from africa. These are generally of very poor quality. Better quality flies sourced from profesional fly tyiers based in the UK are generally priced at $1.00 to $1.50 for standard wet flies.

http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi
Old 11-11-2003, 03:27 AM

Re: Price of flies, UK vs. USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pauli
Malcolm,
Thank you for the information. I am not sure I understand the unit prices, so I will appreciate your correcting any misinterpretations and errors I made below.

Taking your line 1, wet flies, is the unit price per wet fly about $0.20?

Unit fly price = $9.95 divided by quantity, which in this case is 50 flies
= 9.95 / 50 flies = $0.199 or approximately 20 cents US.

20 cents seems low. What don’t I understand?
I think Graham summed it up nicely, you pay for what you get, for a 20 cent fly might last a day before it fell to bits.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 11-11-2003, 06:30 AM

Agree with everything Malcolm & Graham have said. Many of the flies sold in the UK are very poor quality. They are tied by people who have little understanding of what they are setting out to achieve, and have probably never even seen the species of fish for which the fly is intended. As Graham says, there are a few tiers who sell their flies for decent money, although even at these prices I think it’s very hard for anyone in the UK to earn a proper living solely from tying.

Interestingly, there was a good thread about a month ago on a UK board entitled something like ‘Would you pay £1 for a fly?’. Many members there felt that this price was excessive; I was somewhat in the minority in suggesting that a well tied fly was cheap at £1 (approx $1.60). People seem happy to spend hundreds of pounds on expensive rods and reels, which are unlikely to attract a single extra fish. Yet ask them to spend a sensible sum on really good flies – the bit the fish actually see and respond to – and they don’t want to know. I suppose they don’t attract the admiring glances on the riverbank, which confirms the view that so much of the tackle sold is no more than male jewellery, bought to show off rather than actually to improve your catch rate.

I tie all my own flies, but if for some reason I found myself unable to do so I would rather pay $2 each for a few well tied flies which I had real confidence in, than have boxes and boxes of the rubbish that is sold in so many shops here. But I think this view is not widespread.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:27 PM

Many thanks for all your answers.

Thank you for the answers.

Gardener, do you remember the url of the UK board debating the price of flies in the UK?

Bob
Old 11-11-2003, 02:44 PM

Bob,
For what it's worth
flyforums.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1065740 587

You may have to cut and copy, rather than a direct link.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 11-11-2003, 09:42 PM

UK web site

WG-
Thank you for the url. The discussion is fascinating. I am surprised folks get 30 and 40 fish on one fly. Would it be impolite to ask the size and birthplace of fish that are so gentle with flies?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:23 AM
Pullin' Thread

Bob Pauli,

I know people who have caught 5 to 8 steelhead on one of my spey flies before it came apart. And I regularly catch 6 or 7 chum before the fly is coming apart. I used to be able to tie on an elk hair caddis that I tied on Montana's Missouri River and fish it all evening long (some 3 hours usually) without having it fall apart all the while catching 10 to 12 trout of 12" to 3lbs in each of the 3 hours on the same fly. Well-tied flies stay together a good long time.

And I know other tyers who have their flies hold up as long or longer. The big problem with fly fishers is they have not fished with quality, well-tied flies tied by those who care about producing quality flies. Most fly fishers have been fishing with lower quality flies tied by someone in Africa, Sri Lanka, or Columbia, and they just don't hold up nearly as well as well-tied flies tied by U.S., Canadian, U.K. NZ, Norwegian, etc. professional tyers.

Gardener,

Yep, we see this exact same thing on this side of the pond. People spending big bucks for top quality rods and rediculously priced reels ($1,000.00+ U.S.) who then complain about the "high price" of well-tied flies. I'm equally certain that if the imported fly supply dried up, fishers would buy quality flies at fair prices. However, I'm afraid that as long as the imported crap is selling for so little, the average fly fisher will buy them thinking he is getting a bargain compared to well-tied flies. It seems they never have learned that well-tied flies fish better, catch more fish, and last a lot longer.

Oh well, one must look like one has status on the river; thus, the number of very poor casters who have the most expensive equipment.

Last edited by flytyer; 11-12-2003 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:04 PM

fly prices

Something still doesn't add up.

I always assumed the 2 and 3 dollar flies available at most US fly shops were imported from Sri Lanka, Kenya, etc. If so, why are the same imported flies in the UK so much cheaper?
Old 11-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
IMHO, the most well tied 'offshore' flies are tied in Thailand followed closely by Sri Lanka.

Next in line is South America (primarily Columbia). The factories down there produce a very decent fly at a very good price.

Last in the list is South Africa, Kenya etc., (where as it sounds the UK shops get most of their flies from). These flies are very cheap but also very poorely tied.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Pullin' Thread

Ryan,

Yes, and the flies from Thailand and Sri Lanka are selling for the same or nearly the same prices to dealers that dealers can buy local tyers wares for unless it is an end of year or end of season sale from the importer. But even the flies from Thailand and Sri Lanka are not available in most spey, dee, G.P., Ally's Shrimp, Irish shrimp style, or low-water featherwing patterns, which local tyers would be glad to produce if given the opportunity to do so at a fair price.

I'm also aware that there are shops with multiple locations that never allow an idividual store to buy locally tied flies, instead buying all the store's flies from an offshore producer. Granted a local tyer needs more than a week's notice to tie 150 dozen steelhead flies and the importers usually have thousands of a given fly pattern in stock that have been tied with very cheap labor (Scri Lankan tyers get $2.00 to $3.00/ 10 hour day and Thai tyers get $2.50 to $4.00/ day). Plus one importer owns the oldest large scale genetic hackle producer in the U.S. and is the sole distributor of a very popular Japanese hook. Therefore, this importer not only owns the fly factory, it also owns the hackle grower and is the hook distributor; therefore, his cost/dozen flies is very low. However, his wholesale prices do not reflect this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.