11/9 Ocean Beach, Old Saybrook - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2003, 06:31 PM
_

11/9 Ocean Beach, Old Saybrook

It was a nice day for a drive . . .
Attached Images

Last edited by Quentin; 11-09-2003 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Jonesin...

Or maybe not...

Quentin,

I waded out to the rock island just off the jetties at Ocean beach. There were fish breaking a few hundred yards out for most of the afternoon. As the tide turned in so did the fish. There is a rip that set up just off the island and there were numerous schoolie bass landed up to about 24" between myself and a gentlemen I met out there. We did see what may have been a pod of bonito crash just out of range. All in all it was a great day to break in my new 9wt RPLXi that came in the mail Friday.

Sean
Old 11-09-2003, 10:01 PM
_

Awesome! Glad you did better than I did! I figured there should be some fish around but I didn't see any bait or predators while I was there. Headed to Old Saybrook for some schoolies and shad and couldn't find anything there either.

Q
Old 11-10-2003, 04:51 AM

Sean, how do you like the RPLXi? It sounds like a great rod. More sensitive. according to the Sage catalog. Wonder if you compaired it to the XP.
FishHawk
Old 11-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Jonesin...

Very nice!

Fishhawk,

Initial outing yielded very nice results. I have not cast the XP and to be honest only casted the RPLXi a few times at the shows a year ago. Got it because it was too good a deal to pass up before there were no more around. You can really feel the rod load but it fires back with great line spead.

Sean
Old 11-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Fly chucker

Quentin- Did you get there before first light? Inquiring minds would like to know.....

Your lack of action at Old Saybrook puzzles me, especially since everything seems to be running a bit late this year. Perhaps it was just an off tide or something.

Thanks for the report. Very timely!
Old 11-10-2003, 01:32 PM
_

Mark, I did not try to beat the sunrise because of the frigid temperatures. I started at Ocean Beach at around 11:30 a.m. and only stayed for about an hour (maybe less). Got to Old Saybrook at around 1:00 or 1:30 and stayed for about 2 hours. Outgoing tide at both locations. I spoke with other fishermen at both places and they said nothing had been happening during the time they were there.

I wondered about the lack of action at the causeway myself. Another fisherman that I spoke with also seemed surprised and commented that it was "a fish on every cast" last year at this time. The action may have picked up as the tide bottomed out and the sun went down, but I didn't stick around to find out. The water was still murky but not nearly as bad as last weekend.

When I posted the report I thought that I probably wouldn't be making the trip down again this year, but after reading Sean's report I may have to change my mind!

Q
Old 11-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Secret:Time on the water

I wouldn't give up yet I think things have not happened yet and it is going to happen. Problem is I think everyone will have already packed it in by then and when we do hear about it if we do it will be too late. I could be wrong but things are just not right and the only thing that makes sense is that things are still very late this year. Still have not seen any real migration around my neck of the woods and that is really odd, usually by this time the big push has happened and it is schoolie heaven until thanksgiving. I am keeping my eye on things and if I see or hear anything I will let you know.

Mike M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.