ISP Recommendations? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2001, 06:32 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

ISP Recommendations?

My son has made National Honor Society and continues to pull straight A's. Realizing the leverage this affords, he has successfully bargained for a "real" ISP so he does not run out of hours on the free ISP programs like Netzero and Juno.

I'd appreciate testimonials from people - how's earthlink? At&t? We do not have high-speed connection in our neighborhood but it is expected in May. Therefore we are interested in month to month.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2001, 07:37 AM

RE:ISP Recommendations?

Before Charter cable modem, I had Earthlink dial-up. I was very satisfied, connecting usually in the 45-46 range (this has more to do with your home location in relation to local loop). Never got a busy signal, though occasionally I'd get a no-answer, but redialing almost always cured that.

Cable modem is the balls though.
Old 02-07-2001, 07:58 AM

I've been happy with mindspring.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:05 AM

Didn't they merge with Earthlink?
Old 02-07-2001, 11:29 AM

At home I use what was Ultranet and is owned by RCN now, while at work we use Micron.net which is a rebrand of UUNet. Both have worked well for me with good connections & minimal down time.

As one who doesn't expect to have a high badwidth connection available at home soon I need to ask if anyone has tried using a satelite dish for the connection?
Old 02-09-2001, 11:03 PM

John -

I haven't tried it but I recently held a seminar where we were sponsored by a wireless hub company for the internet connection in the lab. It was pretty slick.

If the connection is anything like my cell phone, I would be in deep data doodoo.
Old 02-10-2001, 05:26 AM

Hi Juro, I have been very satisfied with Fastdial.net. They are in your area, 781 exchange. I have had them for over 3 years now. They are reasonable, you get none of the commercials . The only problem I had was with Verizon's lines in my local area. Not being of good internet service quality. I had Mindspring,Juno, ATT.AOL, 110.net, They all seem to believe that they have the right to load your computer full of unwanted adds. Also most ISP's don't have much of atrobleshooting service for novices like me. Yes I like fastdial.net, cheap, and very helpful, check them out.
Old 02-14-2001, 09:20 PM

Thank you all kindly for the advice. My son and I have chosen Earthlink because of the low price (19.95 unlimited) and the availability of local access numbers. It also allows for use of you to select their mail host for outgoing messages, unlike some ISP's that block the port so you have to use their email. This might even make me a little more responsive via email - I used to be unable to send out via the juro@flyfishingforum.com mailbox from home. Sounds like dad is already taking up the bandwidth on the dial-up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.