Powell Fly Rods Is Selling Direct - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2003, 07:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A lot of assumptions being made here, that's for sure!

IMHO the reason Powell is selling direct to consumers at wholesale is not a result of distributors pressuring the mother ship as is implied...

In fact I would guess that their core problem is lack of a strong distributor and rep network. I'd bet the best thing that could happen to them is a strong distributor and a broad network of reps pushing the product everywhere you go, wouldn't you agree?
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2003, 05:30 PM

there are no distributors for high end gear

"If it were my company, I'd probable sell direct to stores at wholesale with discounts based on volume". that is how it works already.
Orvis is the only company that sell wholesale and direct (that I can think of). I don't know why a shop would want to carry a product and have to compete with a manufacturer that marks everything down at the end of the season.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Mr. Mom

Re: there are no distributors for high end gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
"Orvis is the only company that sell wholesale and direct (that I can think of). I don't know why a shop would want to carry a product and have to compete with a manufacturer that marks everything down at the end of the season.
AND makes you carry rods you don't want (and that don't sell) in order to have reels, clothing, etc.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
speaking specifically about orvis.. The reason Orvis rods don't sell in the west is because salesmen won't push them in fly shops!!
A few years ago i worked for an orvis dealer in oregon and went to their annual sales convention thing in Portland where they show all the new stuff, This was the year the vortex reel was brand new as was the new Trident tls
The 7100 was especially nice and powerful.. and most of the rest of the line was as good or better than comparable sages scotts and winstons.

The ONLY reason they didn't sell out west is because no salsmen bothered to try and sell them.... thats my opinion anyway
Old 11-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Pullin' Thread

Juro,

Yep, you got my flies if you bought them from Manuel. He bought between 825 and 875 dozen per year. It was profitable for both of us. And for about 5 years Al Peterson bought spey, marabou spider, bass bugs, grease liners, and G.P's from me. He didn't buy anywhere near the amount Manuel did though. And Tom and Kevin bought speys, grease liners, bombers, and epoxy head salt water streamers. You may have bought some of them from these folks as well.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Fly Fisher on the Plains

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned or noticed yet. This "FREIGHTOR" aka STICKER aka tim aka Steve Nailer is a freind of, and is some how in cahoots with, the new powell ownership. He has hit other boards with this thread. This is a tactic proflied in TIME magazine but i forget the name. The goal is to get lot's of talk going (good bad or indifferent) on the subject to generate lots of free advertising.

Boycott Powell! This is a tactic of a company dumping its product.
American made sure but in the long run probably more un-employeed Americans.

Manitoba Fly Fishing
Old 11-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Marine Scientist

Heavens! What some people will do... It's funny, re-reading the first few posts, you can see the shoveling in progress.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:34 AM

"gorilla marketing" or spam as most know it is not new, but it is being used more and more. I am sure that Powell is not going that route. A good product (like Powell rods) would not benefit from a cheap promotional campaign. Kind of like Cadillac spray painting their logo on people's houses. Not a good way to sell cars.
For a small investment, Powell (or anyone for that matter) could sponsor this web site. While generating good will, they would also let people know that they are in the same class as the other sponsors of the Forum.
"FREIGHTOR" aka STICKER aka tim aka Steve Nailer how's the fishing in the Delta?
Old 11-19-2003, 10:11 AM
Fly Fisher on the Plains

Steve Nailer already admitted to it on the Blanton board ( sponsored byPowell).
And look to his references to "how much talk this generated in 24 hours" the cornerstone of (thanks for reminding me) gorilla marketing.

Manitoba Fly Fishing
Old 11-26-2003, 06:39 PM
Recent Member

Cool response

First of all. All I ever said was that I know the folks at Powell.

Gorilla marketing, I think not. The publicity generated, anyone can see that. But I know those folks, and please we are just a minute number of folks, they have much bigger fish to fry, no pun intended. It's just the facts.

Happy holidays.

I think they have a good plan but time will tell.

Take care all.

Freight
Old 11-26-2003, 08:42 PM
Fly Fisher on the Plains

Let's see for your 4 posts we get 3 pages on the topic and over 900 page views. Not including your activties on VFS and the blanton board (under different handles) I am guessing close to 3000 page views assuming you haven't pulled this stunt on any other boards.
3000 page views (and counting) all by fly fishers about a product for fly fishers pretty effective stunt.

Manitoba Fly Fishing
Old 11-27-2003, 09:47 AM

Robert, I think that you make an excellent case for Forum sponsorship. It really is a terrific value.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.