One River - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

View Poll Results: If you had to pick just one river?
Thompson 5 11.11%
Kispiox 1 2.22%
Bulkley 2 4.44%
Sauk/Skagit 3 6.67%
Snake/Ronde 4 8.89%
Clearwater 6 13.33%
Skykomish 1 2.22%
Dean 6 13.33%
Hoh/Sol Duc 5 11.11%
Other 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Chief of E.P.

Question One River

If you only could fishfor steelhead in one river a year and then only for a two week period, what would it be? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Chief of E.P.

I came up with this question and then pondered my answer for a long time. I settled on the Snake because it is such a tradition for me. Having grown up near the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake, my earliest memories of fishing for steelhead are of these rivers. To miss a year just leaves me feeling incomplete.

Honorable Mentions:
The Sauk/Skagit was a close second as I surely love these rivers in the Spring. I can also not imagine being able to not fish the Skykomish. If there was still a spring season on the Sky it would have been number one. I am still stinging form the loss of that fishery. Finally, the Bulkley and Kispiox will always call out to me but for now, I am content to head their way every other year.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Talking

I voted for my river for obvious reasons.

I would consider the Stilly as a close second.

Last edited by KerryS; 11-04-2003 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:38 AM

One River

If I could spent only two weeks on a river I would go to the Queets. It is beautiful and when I have been there it wasn't crowded.

Rich
Old 11-04-2003, 12:09 PM

I will vote for the Sky. Though not the best of the rivers mentioned by a long shot it is my home river, it is my living room, kitchen and back yard garden all combined. It is where I can escape early in the morning after having a bad day at work the day before. Being able to fish it it on short notice It fills evening time often by getting gear ready to fish the next morning. Knowing it well means the enjoyment of noticing every little change every little pulse of the few fish left entering the river and where they may be holding on any given day. Like all of our Sound rivers there is something very sad going on there, maybe no matter how hard we try and make things better it will continue to decline and die. But still I feel it is part of me, I mean that not in a selfish way but like a family member that is there for another loved one who is terminally ill. It is life and where we are in not so healthy of a world. The Sky is dying but she sure still is a wonderful person to be around even if there is little pulse left. I feel for our brothers North of the border who may have hit rock bottom with there loved river lost. We down here only live because of the sickness called Hatcheries. Hatcheries are like life support they sadly just prolong the suffering for the entire clan. As much as I love to visit her and fish her runs there are many days also I wish she would just die so I could, would not prolong the agony I feel for her health.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:49 PM

strange results imo. if i had to choose of the places i've fished, the dean from aug 1-14 would win hands down, with the skeena mainstem coming in a distant second. then it would be a tossup between another dry-line fishery such as the thompson (got my butt kicked my only trip) or a winter-run fishery (and then timing those weeks would depend on water condition variability, because i might choose some off-peak times where fishing is good if conditions work... which rarely happens).

chris
Old 11-04-2003, 01:55 PM
LBFF Mojo

OC you hit the nail on the head. Good post and pretty much explains why I choose the snoqualmie.

-sean
Old 11-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sinktip,

This is not a fair question. I choose the Sol Duc and the time would be the last week of October and first week of November. This is my favorite Washington Steelhead river and one which I do not get ot fihs nearly as often as I wish since moving to Mount Vernon from Port Angeles 9 years ago.

The Skagit/Sauk are home rivers, which Iove in winter/spring; however, they are not like the Sol Duc in late fall when you can catch steelhead, coho, and late kings.

The Sky holds a special place in my heart also in the late summer and fall. Especially the elusive summer natives. Yes, OC, it has been hurt; but I still find myself being drawn to it.

The Wenatchee was not on your list I assume because it has been closed for the past 5 seasons. It was my favorite river any time between mid-September and mid-November.

The Thompson holds a special place in my heart for its majesty and the comaraderie found on its banks.

Damn, you make it tough for us who fish almost exclusively for steelhead.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:46 PM

Of course I chose the "Other"...

The not listed "Other" is my year round favorite (when in shape)!
I hate these types of questions but I always answer them. First off I am pretty sure that I would be suicidal and maybe even successful, as being able too only fish a couple of weeks a year would be the most depressing verdict I would have gotten since the IFQ's.
Maybe if I could get those 14 days scattered over the 12 months I could get by.
My second choice would be another river not on the list.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Hmm the list of rivers though a great list sure seems biased regional and seasonal bias. The river I would pick has chrom2 24/7/365. and is 500 miles from the nearest river on the list. it boasts an average 5000 summer runs, mix of brrod stocks and wild and about the same winter runs which are 100% wild. other forks of this river boat of runs of 100% wild steelhead in the 15,00-20,000 range. The Umpqua....
Old 11-04-2003, 10:25 PM

Heads of Steel

When it comes to Oncorynchus Mykiss, either a Wanderer or a Homie, I have to vote North Umpqua....
But then again, I'm a Southie.
Deerhawk
Old 11-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Chief of E.P.

My apologies to those whose river was excluded. I was limited to 10 choices and will admit that I limited it to rivers I have fished or hope to fish soon. With another 5 choices I would have included the Deschutes, Wenatchee, N. Umpqua, Cowlitz and Babine. Give me another five and you get the Sustut, Copper, Stamp, Trinity and Salmon. But what about the Queets, Suskwa, Ancor, etc. You see my problem.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Holdout

Well from those choice provided my vote is for the following:

Little reality: 1st choice, Dean, due to lottery system and location

Semi reality: Queets, 4hrs away, Beautiful, but is soiled by intense tribal netting and wild steelhead kill.

Reality: Skykomish, local water, wild steelhead responsive the the fly but is currently a good looking gal stuck in the bar without a date.

-Lost poor realitive of the Simms family fishing fortune
Old 11-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Recent Member

ST, " I feel your pain...." Another river not on the list.

was the Rogue. Over the entire population of the southern half of Oregon (in raw numbers) is probably driving around in King County as I type. Probably why our runs of fish are getting larger every year .. while others are in the tank.

Yes, you can come south in less time than it takes you to get to most places in centeral BC. just don't tell anyone else.
fae, et. al.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:09 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
OTHER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.