Burrowing Sand Eel - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2003, 09:46 AM
President of CAC

Burrowing Sand Eel

From the surface we go to the very bottom. This is a burrowing sand eel. I have tied these without mylar but did not like the action. This is on a short #2 Varivas. The head is weighted and epoxied and the body is pearl stiff mylar tubing... to remain in upright position but the last 1/3 of the fly is pearl flashabou and 3 strands of long olive hackle for movement. The hackle is also inside the mylar. Needless to say.. this must be stripped VERY slow. The idea for a burrowing sandeel..but without the mylar... I got from Derrek Spangler up at First Light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burrowingsandeel.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	2359  

Last edited by striblue; 11-04-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2003, 11:18 AM

John,

Nice work with the tubing. Ultra-realistic!
Old 11-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Jonesin...

John,

Nice looking fly. Similar to Skok's Diving Sand eel. Have you fished this pattern before? Just curious if the stiff tubing beyond the bend would impair hook setting. I believe Bob P has talked to that point in regards to epoxy in his book.

Sean
Old 11-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Flats Rat

I have a similar concept but using a single yellow dyed grizzly hackle tied well 'round the bend so it stands upright and undulates in the current. Fished "static" its picked up fish when any other movement resulted in refusals or rapid departure. I've not tried it out in the stronger Monomoy currents yet . Would probably require a HiD line to hold everything on the bottom - hmmm roll on next season - more experimentation ......

It is hard to sight a good sized fish, make the half decent cast cast and then stop yourself from retrieving ( the expression coitus interuptus springs to mind :eyecrazy: ) but the results can be rewarding
Old 11-04-2003, 03:24 PM
President of CAC

Sean..I had thought of the ridgity issue...but the mylar is very flexable and twists easy...but we will have to see... I would use this sight fishing rather than blind casting...but my casts better be good!
Old 11-06-2003, 04:55 AM

Interesting . FishHawk
Old 11-06-2003, 10:02 AM

Question tubing over the hook

John,

How do you get the tubing voer the point of the hook. I've had some trouble trying to thread the point into and then out of the side of the tubing and have ended up cutting a small slot in the mylar tube. Am I just picking the wrong size of tubing or is there some trick to this that you are willing to share?

mark
Old 11-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Middle Aged Member

I know where that will work! I like Adrians idea with maybe a chartrues grizzly's I've been using for half & halfs and tied in flat on deep eels with some success. How about a tungtsen conehead with the materials tied on the interior bend side except for the feather or maybe tungsten on a semi bendback hook with everything on top. We'll call it the Peckerhead because it leaves pecker tracks in the sand.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:13 PM
President of CAC

Fred... your Brillant!!!!!!!!! I love the name PECKERHEAD! Fred. the tugston sounds good..but if I change this I will put a bigger clouser eye... because I want it to stay relatively upright, kick up a little sand on an agonizingly slow strip. With the conehead, I think the fly will have a tendency to roll...but the configuration of up and down and the cone MAY still keep it upright... we shall see.

Mark... It is hard... what I do is compress the tube mylar from end to end which increases the diameter and just slide it over the hook end... But better still is with it compressed ,just slide it over the hook eye. Mark the spot where you want the hook to come out with a marker...BEFORE you slip it over by just measuring where you want it to come though. I hope that helps...
Old 11-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Middle Aged Member

http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_...dellejiggy.htm

I was looking around SOL for info on Bob Pop's jiggy and found this. So much for the Peckerhead.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally posted by FredA
So much for the Peckerhead.
Now there's something you don't hear every day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.