Our Vision and Mission - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2001, 06:45 PM

Our Vision and Mission

Great work everyone! We have a Vision and a Mission Statement and they are as follows:

Vision:

"Where companions share the passion of fly fishing."

Mission:

"The Flyfishing Forum is a community of anglers dedicated to sharing knowledge and experience, conservation of the resource, and promotion of friendships and fun around the world. All are welcome; there are no strangers on the water."

The results of the voting were:

Both vision and mission 7

Just mission 4

(Because some people only voted for one, I included their votes in both the vision and mission counts.)

For Vision:
#4 6

#5 6

#6 1

For Mission:

#1 2

#4 9

#7 - 2

Well it looks like Ill be a little busy at the vise with about 50 flies to tie for the participants. Ill e-mail each of you to find out if you want flies for trout, striper or one of each.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2001, 07:56 PM
Recent Member

RE:Our Vision and Mission

There's a professional copyeditor in our midst. (Oh, that explains it; we were wondering what that unusual smell was....)

No changes in meaning, of course...And, as I always stipulate when copyediting, feel free to tell me to "get bent!!"

"Where companions share their passion for fly fishing."
(Just clarifies verb phrase.)

"The Flyfishing Forum is a community of anglers dedicated to sharing knowledge and experience, conserving the resource, and promoting friendships and fun around the world. All are welcome; there are no strangers on the water."

(Just provides parallel structure across the sentence.)
Old 02-02-2001, 11:47 PM

Greg,

No offense meant please.

I've had enough of this smoke and mirrors crap ass bull$hit. No, "I am not PC". And no this is not a case of shack nasties. Just the facts. Is this a fishing site or NOT?

Global this, raffle that and agape whatever. Give me a freakin break!

All I know is this, this is a group of guys that I know who love to fish as much as I do and I love to fish with them. Let's keep it that simple.

Flame away.
sully
Old 02-03-2001, 05:47 AM

WOW!

Let's work on keeping things short and to the point here (no hitting below the belt, no rabbit punches, and please gentlemen, when you hear the bell proceed to your corner)

I'll say this, while I appreciate the degree of honesty in what you say Sully, I think your choice of medium is dead as$ wrong. Pick up the phone if you want hit people with this much truth. $.02

Al
Old 02-03-2001, 06:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hi Sully -

I know you well enough to know where you're coming from, in other words keep it unspoken and without frills, etc. I can't say that I totally disagree on the intent of your statement. On the other hand, making such a statement after the fact seems a little reactive. Just so I better understand your point of view, what is it specifically that you don't like? (email or phone is an option as well)

You may have noticed that I stayed pretty much out of it out of respect and appreciation. I also had my opinions along the way but the important thing here is that people pulled together and accomplished something definitive. Frankly, my words would have been different; but it was not my original question, it was an excellent process of refinement, and now the outcome belongs to all who participated. It doesn't change the site or what we do, but it helps reinforce some important things for some of us. Not for all, but very important for some.

I don't think it negates anything established thus far, we're going to have a hell of a season. Thanks to you and Stony Brook, we're off to a great start. Feel free to give me a call to discuss, or post your concerns and we can work it out. I gotta warn ya though when you open it up, the truth can go in both directions.
Old 02-03-2001, 06:37 AM

While we're being honest, I like and agree with the mission statement but don't think we need the vision statement as well. It is kind of obvious and the mission statement alone more than does the job.

As stated many times prior to this exercise, I envision <b>"Intense regional flyfishing clubs sharing home waters around the world"</b>. No smoke, no mirrors, it's the internet way. Of course it will be 90% regional, 10% international - but hey it's already occurred and it will occur again.

This is not to say that I alone own the vision, everyone has a say (as we can see here!). But that's the way I have been directing my efforts and will continue to invest my time in that direction.

This raises a good point, perhaps the most important point - actions speak louder than words. If one want things to happen in accordance with your vision, all one needs to do is take action. Sully you made your point with Stony Brook! A great regional event if there ever was one.

Juro
Old 02-03-2001, 09:21 AM

Well, I think you've both done a sufficient job of squashing any remaining ideals associated with this board..... Valuable lessons here, folks:

1. never aspire to anything greater than your lowest common denominator

2. it's Juro's show, and we're just along for the ride; anything to the contrary is just paying lip service to the membership (you were right about that one, Sully)

I think Clifford Stoll was right. We should all chuck our computers and go plant tomatoes or something.
Old 02-03-2001, 10:34 AM

Well, everybody - that must be the real story huh!

Excuse me for saying that there is a simple vision in my head too. Too bad you can't seem to allow that to co-exist with everyone else's vision, mission, or objectives without pointing a finger.

But first what IS a vision? What is a mission statement? You imply that they are statements of power, sovereignty, or ego. That's totally incorrect. They are defining directives for <b>WORK</b>.

I never IMPOSE my vision, I simply suggest it and then proceed to work (my ass off, thank you) to try to make it a reality. But you judge this as a sovereignty issue to use against me. I do it for my ego, right?

I believe, for the record, that if anyone has a vision, it's only meaningful if you work to make it reality. Accusations never make visions into reality, they only occlude the potential of things.

So then - what's *YOUR* vision?
Old 02-03-2001, 11:18 AM
President of CAC

I think Juro made no comments about the mission statement until the very end.. correct me if I am wrong. What's all the commotion about. I don't really see any disagreemments here and all we really started with is the concept of a mission statement. If you really want ,point to the chronicles, and the shareing on this board.. That's the Mission statement in action.. why so difficult to sum it up in a statement???
Old 02-03-2001, 11:40 AM

Juro -- As you've demonstrated time and again, it doesn't matter what my vision is or anyone else's. The only vision that really matters is yours. It's time to be honest and just admit that. You're not as good at veiling your ego as you think. Stop asking us for our input and then getting bent out of shape when it doesn't match up with your vision of how things ought to be. It's you're show. Do whatever you want and stop wasting our time with pointless requests for approval! Is this a fishing site or a place to affirm what a wonderful job you've done building..... what exactly is this place, again?
Old 02-03-2001, 11:49 AM

Al -

You say "we" and "us" a lot - but for your information YOUR views are contrary to many I have had expressed to me by email and by phone. It's too bad *YOU* feel that way Al.

Juro
Old 02-03-2001, 01:09 PM

Sully,

Absolutely no offense taken not even the tiniest bit. It usually takes a lot to get me hot under the collar and I almost never like the results when I do. The one time I did get heated on the web I ended up being ashamed and you kindly came to my defense. So again, no hard feelings at all.

I dont understand the heat in your comment and maybe Im not grasping the meaning either and I want to because it is passionate and the passion of the members here is what has made so much of it work.

It seems to me that this IS more than just a fishing site and that was just demonstrated by your most recent and generous actions in the organization of the tying clave. A mere fishing site would not have such activities associated with it.

On to other things.

I dont think Juro was supplanting his vision/mission with the ones we recently developed. He was merely stating the vision/mission he had when he started this site and he probably still holds to it. By holding, and even sharing aloud and in print, a personal vision/mission for his work with this group he does not negate the vision/mission of the group as a whole.

I dont know how appropriate this is but I think it is kind so I will go there:

Al, if I could take your words and add just a bit I think I can see your mission with this group:

Tom and Huck ride again. To be generous with my resources, time and effort. Your work here has humbled me and I can still picture you and Juro out in your little row boat chasing tunoids with a storm rolling in. The spirits of Tom and Huck were with you that day for sure.

Finally, if there are concerns about the vision and mission we developed there is no reason we cant back up the process and do some more work. It is not written in stone and in fact should be reviewed on a regular basis to make sure it remains appropriate.

Oh, and thanks Jen, I think your suggestions should be followed.

Gregg
Old 02-03-2001, 03:06 PM

F*ck Tom and Huck. And long live the Juro cheerleading section.

I'm honored to be among the dissenting minority and ashamed to ever have been part of this.

Over and out!
Old 02-03-2001, 03:55 PM

I've been a minimal contributor to this process to date and although I've found both the method and result quite interesting (since a key employee in my businees has just suggested that 'we' should consider a mission statement) I've had the overall feeling that perhaps we were trying to create a sense of structure when none may have been needed.
Points to consider.
- Yes the forum IS the child of Juro and we have all seen it's scope and function evolve through both our participation and lurking. Juro has always aspired to make the site something that has potential rewards for those who participate, perhaps enough to make it's dollar investment a net/net for him personally and perhaps a way to reward those who have contributed with their individual skills. I sense that Juro ( and please take this in a positive way ) always focuses on a goal that is beyond reach at that moment. That's what drives him. BUT, (from what i can tell) Juro's done all this willingly and it's just been of late that he's looked for ways to get help with the finances. He's entitled to ask, we're entitled to say no. He's also entitled to add whatever 'flavor' or sense of direction to the site that he wants. If we like it, we participate. If we don't we move on (reel-time seems like decades ago dosen't it!). The web e.enables us to be infinitly mobile with our passions.
-If Juro decided he'd had enough and shut the site down tomorrow, I'd understand but I'd recognize the loss of another way to communicate with folks that share some of the same pleasures that are important to me.
- Remember, it IS all about the fishing. I'd much rather be sitting here typing up a recipie for a killer new Albie pattern than putting in my .02 on the politics of an open forum on the web.
- Did I think that it was key to develop a vison/mission statement? No, but I thought that Greg handled it with skill. I even liked the phrasing of the end result. Doesn't mean I had it tattooed on my arm.

I'd fish with any of you guys (and gals, sorry Jen), anytime. Politics has no passion for me and I hope we're not seeing the beginning of the end. Remember that it IS all about the fishing, this is a place where we don't have to worry about Web Development, plumbing supplies, corporate real estate, broadband, hospice care, (I was going to add lawyers but we always have to worry about lawyers), othopedic surgeons, firemen etc.... It's just about the fishing.

lurking bob
Old 02-03-2001, 04:17 PM

Wow,lots of "brutally" honest opinions. I'm glad Sully helped to snap us out of the mode of taking ourselves too serious. I'll bet if you asked any member what we are, you'd get as many different answers. Growing pains, again.
The spirit of the claves was so awesome we tried to transfer it over to the talk realm. In the end we are a bunch of fishermen, who at heart, are dreamers.
I've had my problems seeing the vision, following the changes and the activities. Slow and steady is my approach. I never saw the need of a statement full of lofty words and ideas when it initiates nothing. But I let democracy work. I'm just another opinion.
With the high number of lurkers out there it's too bad we have to air our laundry publically. There should be a bar like gabbing section for those who care about what future this experiment has. I hate the thought of yet another group too. We could simplify a lot here.

So I move to open a board (only if we kill a few of the dead ones)to provide a place where we can scream at eachother whether they think this idea or that is crap.
No need to look like a soap opera to the world. How about we call it the "Brutal Honesty Area for Site Path".
Or maybe not. Just an idea. I wanted to say something, it sucks to see my buds in an uproar.

TerryW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.